• EconMan
    One of my favorite threads ever here is "Rosin of the Week". Almost always something good or at least positively entertaining, and folks get along. Perhaps because only folks who care about making better and better rosin tended to stop by?

Anyway, I do believe concentrates are the future of MJ, and there isn't a dedicated thread for simply "how to take great dabs". My thought is the emphasis should be on the dabbing not the extraction. My favorite threads like "Rosin.." are the ones where a enthusiastic subset of folks share information, ideas, and entertaining "fishing stories". I hope this can do that for dabbers - newbie and veteran.
    I will start.

Just received an order from The Banger Store -- btw, first order with them, great products and fast shipping).
    First, I am so excited to try this "beveled" banger (see pic). Never used one. The idea is the bevel will produce a better seal for the "bubble carb cap" but dumbass me I ordered a 10mm rather than 14 and I do NOT have a 10-14 adapter.... So have to wait to try it. :groan:

Second, anyone ever use an insert? Best practices?
    They threw one in as a gift and I want to try it. Lots of ideas popped in my head -- the first wasted a dab. lol Time to get on YouTube.

78x824a70n27phg0.jpeg
  • Tyedyesamuraiguy
    let me know how the insert is from what i understand they are best used with an enail set up. I am dying to dab on rubi or sapphire even though its fake im into it :starstruck: not very practial for me right meow but one day :joke:

When im dabbing on my rig i really like to use my birdcage, its perfect for me! zc3a7iln3kivj95w.png
  • OhHello
    I also wouldn’t mind seeing a category specifically for “dabbing”
  • 420vapezone
    I swear by insert dabs using the droptech method.

Heat the banger, wait 15-25 seconds, drop the insert with the dab.
    It's easier than the traditional timing method and less devastating if the timing is wrong.

Plus it delivers the low temp vapors and the high temp vapors, it's more flavorful.
    And it keeps the banger squeaky clean
  • Gman
    It would be nice to have a "concentrate zone" since a lot of us don't even touch flower anymore. Unless it's to squish it of course.
  • MothChewMoth
    Nice thread @EconMan!

I too am interested in learning more about inserts as I hate cleaning bangers! It's making me do way less shatter and more sauce/diamonds because it's leaves my rig so much cleaner :rofl:
  • EconMan
    [quote="420vapezone;116633"
    I swear by insert dabs using the droptech method.
    Heat the banger, wait 15-25 seconds, drop the insert with the dab.
    It's easier than the traditional timing method and less devastating if the timing is wrong.
    Plus it delivers the low temp vapors and the high temp vapors, it's more flavorful.
    And it keeps the banger squeaky clean[/quote]

Thank you! :100:
    Been watching YT vids, and I appreciate what you said about "timing". One reason why I like the round bottom banger lately .. it makes torch-work more precise. I tried a dab using your method, and it exposed perhaps a bad technique on my part.... worrying I suck too hard? I sucked the oil over the top of the insert, then because it was so hot it "flashed" and I had to toke long and hard not to waste it.... So it was a nasty hit and my banger was dirtier than ever .. lol :joke: #LearningCurves :)
    I'll try one again.
    I've only recently been buying "better quartz" and the big difference it seems to me thus far is:
    1. They last longer and doesn't chaff and chip.
    2. When the banger gets damaged to a certain point, it "hurts" more to trash it. A $20 banger is no big deal to toss after 100 uses. But a $150 would be. So I want to use inserts if I can get them to work for me in my best bangers, which I tend to use for non-squished extractions. Rosin is always a "cold start" for me since it is more easily burned.

[quote="Tyedyesamuraiguy;116609"
    let me know how the insert is from what i understand they are best used with an enail set up.[/quote]

I've used e-nails, but never owned one, and would be a novice in their use. What do you like/dislike about them? I like the torch most because it seems I get the most control?.... and part of the fun of a great dab is the planning.... what banger what technique..... how to heat the particular banger optimally... oil runs from heat, so I use a torch with an adjustable "micro" setting to cut off pathways for the oil to "run to".

It would be nice to have a "concentrate zone" since a lot of us don't even touch flower anymore. Unless it's to squish it of course.Gman

Yeah, true for me too. As a revealed preference i just traded a relatively new and loaded Volcano for a very new and loaded Carta. So like @Zep4 I'm a Peak and Carta guy now :)
    Regardless, vaping flower has become an increasingly infrequent pleasure, more enjoyable because I don't do it that often anymore. Combustion is the true exotic for me. Smoked a joint the other day for the first time in a few years, liked it as an exotic, but did it ever taste bad and kept tasting bad till I had to go brush my teeth and rinse my mouth :vomit:

When im dabbing on my rig i really like to use my birdcage, its perfect for me!Tyedyesamuraiguy

Totally unfamiliar. How does it work and what do you like about it?

Regardless, concentrates are the future. I live amongst rich suburban republican white people and Indians, and I swear all of those fuckers who consume have a Peak. There is even a Peak social Group (The Peakers - LMAO! :razz: ) in my city. Young adult want to hide it from their parents and their parents want to hide it from them. Most people I meet have never actually used any flower. Some only carts! :gasp:
  • Tyedyesamuraiguy
    i can answer both questions with one answer :joke: i have to vape outside... I ditched the big torch and big banger because its super hard to nail any kind of technique down in the real world... I did get pretty good at it but it just wasnt my scene, i felt it took to long to heat up and then cooled down way too fast!
    This is why i love that birdcage its a tiny little dish that i can heat with a pocket torch, heat up time is nothing, when you hit it red hot its not the same red hot as from a bigger torch, cold starts are super easy too. It actually holds a face melting sized dab. Even with it being domeless i dont find i waste any tokes or screw around for too long with it.
    When i get a place with a garage itll be enail time. Until then i have a hard enough time setting up my evo outside :groan: i couldnt pass up the deal though. Its not as much work as i thought it would be but it still sucks lol.
    The evo can chuck some huge concentrate tokes! Not the best for flavour but man!
    Thats why one day i would like an enail. Its really hard to take low temp dabs with a torch for me. I want to set a low temp and know its staying right there until it all vaporizes. I alsp wanna get superficial dabbing on some jewels!
  • Gman
    I find the best dabs are cold start, add the dab, put the cap on, heat it until it boils a bit, then draw. Second hit let it boil a tad more, draw again. Two hits, one all taste, one all power, no ill taste whatsoever.

However, I don't touch my rig after getting the carta... soo good bye torch!!
  • Azn2101
    Hey bud *give me a sec to be star struck* =) I watched your video(or maybe I just read a review you did on it) on the Rio and I believe I heard you say that your liking cold starting more and more. Did you just mean with that device or in general?

I'm so new to dabs that I really need to be listening/reading this more than posting in it but I am starting to get some deeper knowledge on the Carta which I predict will end up taking the DD spot when the Dry atty's are released but I recieved 10x (only ordered 5x. S/O to rubypearlco and owner Kevin for the extra pearls and grabber) Nano or 3mm ruby terp pearls and they made such a huge difference that like @EconMan said something akong the lines of "They should include them in the starter package cause they make such a difference."
  • EconMan

LOL. Before laughing I was thinking that shatter looks nasty! I've become judgemental lol

EconMan said something akong the lines of "They should include them in the starter package cause they make such a difference."Azn2101

I get my Carta today via fedex. Will be testing it out. Super excited! :party:

Re Puffco, I do like my Peak. It is a cool product. It works well, but in my case only with certain additions/upgrades. Puffco, given its big margins, could have easily included a few tiny terp perls (not essential but really useful especially given their tiny price), the travel kit for the mouth splashguard if the stock glass is used (ESSENTIAL for those who hate water in their mouth).

I do not only use a tiny terp perl in the Peak/Carta, but also in a few of my bangers too where there is a sharp edge where oil easily hides. If you like the "core-reactor" bangers (center column in the middle of banger to increase surface area and keep things hot) as I do, they are godsends.

Thank you @VapeCritic :cool:
    G43 technology just keeps on giving, even when I'm not even using the G43. :party:

People who don't even give a fuck about the G43, or don't even like it, but who do like to dab, ought to be buying a package of those glass balls from Bud. One package should last a lifetime except for those with the greatest propensity to lose vape components :)
  • Azn2101
    You know a less tired me might be a little upset but man would that be cool to actually have the option to do with something that size. But I can't imagine that tasting that great at those temps cause the wax looks like it was being cauterized (jusy really darkened oil im guessing) from the burn marks on where he pulled it away.

Dude I already placed an order for 25 more "Nano Beads" cause these things are just too good and the guy basically doubled my order except for the 6mm SiCs and also ordered bud' s for taking out and about.

I think they they should come in the base package with the Carta because it does seem to collect a decent amount of material that needs to be q tipped from the corners but with the terp pearls there was almost none even on the beads
  • MothChewMoth
    I tried using them a free weeks ago to excellent effect until it magically disappeared. I found it a week later across a carpeted room. This happened multiple times because at first I convinced my high self that I must have put it away..

Turns out when cleaning with a qtip, they have a propensity to catch, then shoot out the top of the banger with great velocity. I repeated this multiple times to prove I wasn't crazy, and it happened easily with little effort.

I'm using a 25mm opaque banger, so perhaps this wouldn't be an issue in a larger one?
  • Nwhite2443
    Nope, it’s still an issue . Done it with a 6mm ruby pearl in my 30mm enail banger. Luckily it landed on an old wood coffee table and nothing important got burnt
  • EconMan

Yeah, I need colored ones. lol They are so little, given the way I toke, on some bangers I suck them into the banger stem and down into the rig :scream: Once rolled onto the carpet however, even the cat can't find them. I've only lost two thus far though, so I am proud of myself. :nerd:

Also, -- Warning Tangent! -- for Peak users (don't know about Carta yet, but will today!) I am almost ready to say at least half of Peak atomizer fails are from the clean-freak OCD "fixing" it when it is not broken. My friend has NEVER had an atomizer fail just by it "failing"on its own. He had to help it along. lol He can NOT simply "not" get that last little drop of splashover on the edge of the atomizer.... he knows he should not be fiddling with it while it's hot but he does it anyway.

I've had one fail (yep, from fiddling with it) in ~five months, he has had five. He uses his much more than I do but not 5 times more. I'm also part of a local Peak User Group -- "The Peakers" (more fun to an extrovert than the Peak! -- and I observe the same phenomena in their experience. Fiddle with it when it is hot, look at it wrong when it is hot, when an atomizer is not symmetrical and your OCD compels you to "adjust" it when it is hot,... the atomizer fails.

I *bet* the Carta will be the same way.
  • okla68m
    It had been a week or so since I had done any Wax. Got a wild hair, grabbed the X & stone, a Rice size piece of homemade White Widow Wax, set it at Max (220C°) and for a 5 minute session. Their New WPA and a Glass Screen E-Nano stem slid onto it........WOW.......AND AGAIN, SNOT FROM HELL !
    Don't know How yall do Dabs in front of others, I make Way Too Much Snot to let anyone see me !
  • EconMan

When there is snot, it's a full spectrum dab! :100:
  • Azn2101
    Is that so? I guess that's why this "Original Nectar" CO2 FECO Extract makes me sneeze.

I just thought it was allergies cause it's just transitioning out of spring into that summer heat.

So this seems like the appropriate place to ask a a few questions.

So I understand that Rubies & Sapphires retain heat for a very long time but does that also mean they heat up slower?

Next I have this Cartridge that is made with Sauce. I don't see myself using it too much so I'm thinking of dumping it into some Mendo Badder. Would it break down the Badder to make a more viscous substance?
  • EconMan
    Extract makes me sneeze.Azn2101

Actually, I got my epistemology wrong. Should have written, "when there is full spectrum dabbing, there shall be snot." lol :nerd:
    And yes, exactly because of allergens. Ever open a new bag of weed and just start sneezing?
    Different people have different levels of sensitivity to particular cannabinoids and terpenes (Geriniol and Limonen get to me especially). Then since dabs are by definition concentrated, a mass dose goes right into the sinuses. A large dab of a full spectrum squish will always have snot, which is why I always keep soft and absorbent fresh towels nearby for myself and guests to dab with dignity.

So I understand that Rubies & Sapphires retain heat for a very long time but does that also mean they heat up slower?Azn2101

Yeah. Basically, the longer the retention, the longer to get to temp. Hence, I have some thin bangers that transmit heat very quickly so I use them for small sized cold starts where I want a lot of control with a micro-torch. Likewise, for big dabs I tend to like thicker larger bangers with large surface area (big fan of the "core-reactor".
    That said, personally, I'm not that big of a fan of sic, ruby, etc. It is not that I don't like them, just for me doesn't seem worth the $ ? I'm a quartz sort of boy. :)

Would it break down the Badder to make a more viscous substanceAzn2101

Does it have any additives? (PG, etc)
    Personally, I would not combine them. Enjoy your UNadulterated Mendo :starstruck: Why do you want to dilute it?
    Just dump the cart contents into a banger and have a hit. Lately, I've been doing distillates so I can dab or cart it.
  • Dr green thumb
    I use full spectrum dabs and experience no snot, no snot with rosin either. I've also never sneezed from opening a package of flower, though I may have drooled a few times.

I think you may just have allergies.
  • Azn2101
    I wonder if there's been a study done. We have so many debates across these forums we should've been able to assemble our own sort of "Westlaw" type system by now haha.

If I had to guess like EconMan said it probably has to do with what allergies bother you specifically and may have a similar molecular form or create some sort of similarity to an already identified allergy that my body doesn't handle well.

But that last....well let's say the entire thing is all speculation because that field of medicine is not the field I specialize in haha.

I obviously have no medicinal background lol.
  • Baron23
    I’m w you and old The more Terpy, the more snot.

Never used to happen when younger, but I keep a roll of Viva (the ONLY PT to buy haha) close by.

It sucks, tbh.

In a fit of honesty, I must say that my sinuses never really survived the 80’s.
  • EconMan
    In a fit of honesty, I must say that my sinuses never really survived the 80’s.Baron23

I'm surprised my nose membranes withstood the 80's. Only done one drug I could not handle in life -- cocaine -- haven't touched the stuff since.
  • EconMan
    Sunday morning dab.
    Time to break out El Dose :hearts:

flnvkll7gavblx66.jpeg
  • EconMan
    This is a great value. It does not say "dab mat" in the description but same thing :)

91zff19zDQL._SL1500_.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-Silicone-Baking-Mat-2-Pack/dp/B0725GYNG6/ref=sr_1_3
  • Baron23
    two each 11 x 16" for $9 bucks....that is a deal. :up:
  • EconMan
    Theory question on e-nails (not appliances).

Why do coils seem to only fit to (heat) the sides of the banger, and not the bottom?
  • UbarDog
    I'm a complete noob so I might be wrong.

tu8gdHV.jpg

They are out there

Edit
    https://710coils.com/collections/featured-products/products/25mm-axial-coil
  • Tyedyesamuraiguy
    ive seen some that heat the bottom. I have wondered the same thing im thinking that because most people put their dab on the bottom its a less direct way to heat!? Maybe making it softer?
  • EconMan

I've tended to shy away from such things preferring the torch, but recently with my new round-bottom bangers I'm using so delightfully with Cold-Starts, it seems the best tech is to heat a "hot ring" above the bottom and then when my terp pearl spins or oil is splashed on the sides pleasant vapor is produced. Hence, this is a case where a proper enail might work better than the torch?
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment