• Tyedyesamuraiguy
    fancy sauce!! Hehe, i think you are right for sure though!
    An enail is on my radar for sure!! More then likley it is going to be my next purchase for viceland!!
  • EconMan

WOW! So they do have "bottom heaters". :cool:
    I'm a noob too on enails. I've used them but never owned one.
  • Bad Dog
    Here's my question, for a cold start dab using rosin in a cheep clear thick bottom banger is it better to use a high or low flame on your torch to heat? And how aggressive should it be boiling before you hit it? It's my first dab in it and first dab using a proper technique and I know rosin probably isn't ideal for a first dab cause it burns easily but it is what I have on hand.
  • Dr green thumb
    I light my torch get it to full power then I back off. I use three main torches for dabbing all of different strengths. On a cold start dab I want to avoid burning so I always back the flame down to about 3/4 of its power.
  • EconMan

For rosin, which is relatively "dirtier" (but also full of tasty cannabinoids!) I slightly pre-heat the banger just to make it easy to "melt" the rosin off my tool. Use a terp pearl if you have one. Position your carb cap (I like directional ones where the airflow can be "directed") and using low heat heat around the lower side seam at the bottom of the banger moving torch in and out as needed to maintain vapor without harshness. As you inhale and the rosin becomes thick then thin oil, it will splash on the sides and corners, drip down, and repeat. You'll quickly figure out how to increase/decrease torch to get what you want, *if* you don't go in with Big Red full blast. You want focused finesse for cold starts, not brute force. Begin with small dabs so if you sort of ruin one not such a loss. Generally speaking, with dabs, two size X dabs gets you higher longer than one size 2X dab. It is a small learning curve.... and part of the fun of dabing is exploring all the oddities of the oil. :pray:

Always remove the carb cap if you pause long, or need to cough, etc., it will mitigate burning. With Cold Starts your banger should rarely get very nasty like with a red hot dab. Swab every load. Clean your banger with iso as needed.
  • Bad Dog
    Thanks for all the suggestions it should go a lot smoother now with your advice
  • Baron23
    As pointed out, they don't all work that way.

710coils.com sells wonderful "axial" coils in which the coil continues and spirals to the bottom as @ubardog showed in his pic above.

BUT, there is a trade off. With a barrel coil, you can tighten/loosen to get an optimal fit on your quartz banger. With the axials, not really so people often will run them a bit hotter as they are a bit looser on the banger.

I have both from Shane and there ain't a big difference if you heat soak your banger properly.
  • EconMan
    BUT, there is a trade off. With a barrel coil, you can tighten/loosen to get an optimal fit on your quartz banger. With the axials, not really so people often will run them a bit hotter as they are a bit looser on the banger.Baron23

Ok, that makes sense. I they barrels they are tight and the axials they just sort of "rest" on the coil?

Dabbing question from a recent experience.

Took a hit off my Carta on the lowest temp setting (fyi, I think the lowest setting is too low and the next highest setting too high).... took a while to get it going and needed to "extend" the session.

I toked slow (can't have much airflow on low heat) for perhaps 20 seconds and then exhaled..... almost NO "smoke" just a little trickle..... HOWEVER, I got REALLY high.

We tend to associate clouds with getting high, but I'm wondering. I've had a similar experience with flower and my FF2 -- not a giant cloud maker but gets me really high)

So I am pondering today: Are clouds overrated?

I haven’t found a way to get “real high” from low temps with flower, lots of flavor, too much flavor for me most of the time.
    With the carta on the lowest setting I didn’t get big clouds but did get nice and high! Always seeking a little more, the second setting was too hot for me. I have Dcup coming Monday hoping I can dial it in just right for me. I have used Yocan pens, SAI, Dynacoil, MV1 with pads and tolerate them all for convenience. Honestly I like the Dynacoil the best of all them but the short airpath from all these makes my experience not enjoyable. Then I got a Vrod, took my first small dab through a real(knockoff) glass rig and said, ahh this is what the big deal is all about, lol. I’m still real new and have lots to learn but I think I’m on the right path. I figure I’ll dial the Dcup in and then look for a small size portable that comes the closest. When the iOS app drops in the App Store and is confirmed to work well I might give it another shot.
  • Baron23
    the axials they just sort of "rest" on the coil?EconMan

Well, personally I think all coils on a quartz banger need some sort of attachment and the axials more than barrel as you can't really tighten them.

This is a brilliant and inexpensive solution from 710coils.com

https://710coils.com/products/710-coils-clip-kit
  • Hapo
    ...does using a V Rod count...???...

...does a quartz banger offer something a D Cup won't....???...

...all I got from dabbing with a torch and banger were nasty sooty hits...

...waisted most of the stuff...
  • EconMan
    With the carta on the lowest setting I didn’t get big clouds but did get nice and high! Always seeking a little more, the second setting was too hot for me.52

Yeah. Precisely. I've learned roundabouts like a dry run first on 2 then bring it down right before the actual dab. But you are correct.
  • Bad Dog
    I've been experimenting with cold start dabs using rosin and I have a few questions. I'll start by running you through a session, I heat the banger just enough to get the rosin off my tool and stick to the bottom then I heat the banger with just the tip of my torch along the bottom outside edge working the middle as little as possible till it boils and starts making vapour, then I carb cap and hit it, then I repeat. I get 1 flavourful hit then 2-3 thicker hits, after that what's leftover is a few drops of very dark oil, I've been worried about scorching so I just mop it out with a qtip and sacrifice it to the gods. So these are my questions should there be anything left or should my banger be clean? Is it ok to power through that dark leftover stuff? Am I doing something wrong?
  • Baron23
    should there be anything left or should my banger be clean?Bad Dog

No, your banger should not be clean at the end of a dab and yes, there will be some liquid residue to mop up. IMO, if you keep heating until its dry, you are just baking on some crap you really don't want.

Is it ok to power through that dark leftover stuff?Bad Dog

Yes, if you don't mind crappy taste and not much left for effect. Me...I do as you do, and just mop that crap up. Let taste be your guide....I think we most of us can tell when its cashed and we are just burning more waxes and fats than anything else. At that point, mop it.

Best of luck...sounds like you are on the right track.
  • Bad Dog
    Thanks for confirming my suspicions @Baron23 glad I'm not f'ing it up. Man it's good to have the forum back! What would I do without the advice of more experienced stoners
  • EconMan

I agree with Baron. When I first started I was all OCD on getting that last molecule of "whatever" I told myself was valuable thc - NOT! All that does is make your bangers die prematurely. One really nice thing about "warm starts" is you don't have to heat your banger that hot. I used to feel "pride" when I would swab and nothing was on the swab. Now if there is nothing, I know I heated too long. And as Baron said, "crappy taste" will be the result. And IMO crappy dab taste is the worst :vomit:

So I think your procedure is sound. It is essentially what I do. I use a thick round-bottom banger with a glass ball ... the bottom of the banger is the coldest part...until the last inhalation and then I'll throw a few seconds of torch.

Speaking of round bottom bangers, I just ordered this. Learned about it on The710Extractionist's YT live chat just now.

q4udumonhfzd7v4o.png

I love the concept, and will report back once mine arrives.

https://www.diggaglassgallery.com/store/p1487/DG_25mm_Splash_Guard_Round_Base.html
  • Baron23
    Speaking of round bottom bangers, I just ordered this. Learned about it on The710Extractionist's YT live chat just now.

q4udumonhfzd7v4o.png

I love the concept, and will report back once mine arrives.

https://www.diggaglassgallery.com/store/p1487/DG_25mm_Splash_Guard_Round_Base.html
    EconMan

Nice! Good price too!

Yes, I think the biggest lesson I have learned is that if your qtip comes out dry, lower the temperature. When you get it right you get flavor(sometimes not a good thing for me), smoothness and no charring. Everything is better a little wet!
  • Gman
    If you guys just hit the carta on level 1 a few times back to back it gets a little hotter each time. Giving you that little more you need.
  • EconMan
    A good morning dab is always provided by El Dose. :starstruck:

However, a just-freshly-cleaned El Dose is truly lovable :love:

kf6n1bjhwbueqwbt.jpeg
  • Bad Dog
    So I've been playing around with my dyna coil and cold start dabs in my banger and for a little while and I guess I've started to develop my dab taste. I just vaped 2 full to bursting dyna coils of some shatter I picked up a the start of my journey, shatter I originally thought was kinda tasteless was today floral and sweet. The more I dab the more it reminds me of when I started drinking tea, what started out as little better than hot water is now one of my favourite indulgences. And that to took time and technique improvement as well. I sort of see it like this combustion is like black tea it can be tongue numbing and almost a assault on the senses, pungent and earthy, vaping is like green tea and oolong grassy sweet with hints of fruit or even musky tones, pleasantly lingering on the tongue, and dabs are like white or delicate herbal blends subtle and more subdued floral, fruity sweet slightly ethereal and fleeting. Does my analogy ring true at all?
  • Tyedyesamuraiguy
    i always pick up a super carmely note when i vape most strains.
  • Bad Dog
    I'm vaping on a nice 91 K-OG Melon it has some nice fruity tones. I get carmely coffeeish flavour when I combust, so far with vaping I find indica strains have more of a earthy carmel sweetness while sativas tend to be more fruity sweet or diesely cheesey but I'm quite limited with strain choices from my LP
  • EconMan
    Does my analogy ring true at all?Bad Dog

Yeah, it's great. I concur. :cool:
  • LabPong
    However, a just-freshly-cleaned El Dose is truly lovable :love:EconMan

oh...gosh that rig looks super easy to keep clean...and actually clean.... :yum:

Just the thought of the amount of 91% it would need if I used it...lol
  • EconMan

LOL.
    It actually isn't that hard. Takes about five minutes. I use hot water first, then the high-powered iso + a little salt. Shake vigorously.... rinse, dry, refill, and enjoy.

With a thick round-bottom banger and directional bubble cap, it is the best dab rig I've ever used. Not for the weak-lunged though.... it takes some extra suction to pump those twelve recycler tubes. :nerd:
  • Bad Dog
    Yeah, it's great. I concur. :cool:EconMan

Glad you could follow me, sometimes my analogies are a little to far out of left field and I just end up talking out of my ass
  • EconMan

Well you're talking Green Tea!~ :love:
    I buy this stuff literally by the case.
    717gGZDEuEL._SL1500_.jpg
    A coke is certainly a nice treat but my daily driver with respect to hydration is Oi Ocha Green Tea

Indeed, right next to my dabbing station, is a small fridge loaded with it (and an occasional diet coke).
    Sometimes, usually in evenings, I'll switch to hot green tea. Taking a "big fatty" dab, followed by simps of hot unsweetened green tea is to die for. It is as if the hot liquid dissolves the "reclaim" from your mouth and tongue :yum:

Oh, a coffee analogy would work too! :cool:
  • Bad Dog
    I typically drink my teas straight as well ( sometimes a little honey and lemon) , it pairs really good with vaping. This time of year I like cold white tea but I'm currently out :gasp:, been indulging my VAS lately so not as much money for tea:cry:
  • EconMan

Yeah, I know how you feel. Rats TOTALLY just fucked up my car, so I'm expecting an absurd repair estimate.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment