• Tyedyesamuraiguy
    fancy sauce!! Hehe, i think you are right for sure though!
    An enail is on my radar for sure!! More then likley it is going to be my next purchase for viceland!!
  • EconMan

WOW! So they do have "bottom heaters". :cool:
    I'm a noob too on enails. I've used them but never owned one.
  • Bad Dog
    Here's my question, for a cold start dab using rosin in a cheep clear thick bottom banger is it better to use a high or low flame on your torch to heat? And how aggressive should it be boiling before you hit it? It's my first dab in it and first dab using a proper technique and I know rosin probably isn't ideal for a first dab cause it burns easily but it is what I have on hand.
  • Dr green thumb
    I light my torch get it to full power then I back off. I use three main torches for dabbing all of different strengths. On a cold start dab I want to avoid burning so I always back the flame down to about 3/4 of its power.
  • EconMan

For rosin, which is relatively "dirtier" (but also full of tasty cannabinoids!) I slightly pre-heat the banger just to make it easy to "melt" the rosin off my tool. Use a terp pearl if you have one. Position your carb cap (I like directional ones where the airflow can be "directed") and using low heat heat around the lower side seam at the bottom of the banger moving torch in and out as needed to maintain vapor without harshness. As you inhale and the rosin becomes thick then thin oil, it will splash on the sides and corners, drip down, and repeat. You'll quickly figure out how to increase/decrease torch to get what you want, *if* you don't go in with Big Red full blast. You want focused finesse for cold starts, not brute force. Begin with small dabs so if you sort of ruin one not such a loss. Generally speaking, with dabs, two size X dabs gets you higher longer than one size 2X dab. It is a small learning curve.... and part of the fun of dabing is exploring all the oddities of the oil. :pray:

Always remove the carb cap if you pause long, or need to cough, etc., it will mitigate burning. With Cold Starts your banger should rarely get very nasty like with a red hot dab. Swab every load. Clean your banger with iso as needed.
  • Bad Dog
    Thanks for all the suggestions it should go a lot smoother now with your advice
  • Baron23
    As pointed out, they don't all work that way.

710coils.com sells wonderful "axial" coils in which the coil continues and spirals to the bottom as @ubardog showed in his pic above.

BUT, there is a trade off. With a barrel coil, you can tighten/loosen to get an optimal fit on your quartz banger. With the axials, not really so people often will run them a bit hotter as they are a bit looser on the banger.

I have both from Shane and there ain't a big difference if you heat soak your banger properly.
  • EconMan
    BUT, there is a trade off. With a barrel coil, you can tighten/loosen to get an optimal fit on your quartz banger. With the axials, not really so people often will run them a bit hotter as they are a bit looser on the banger.Baron23

Ok, that makes sense. I they barrels they are tight and the axials they just sort of "rest" on the coil?

Dabbing question from a recent experience.

Took a hit off my Carta on the lowest temp setting (fyi, I think the lowest setting is too low and the next highest setting too high).... took a while to get it going and needed to "extend" the session.

I toked slow (can't have much airflow on low heat) for perhaps 20 seconds and then exhaled..... almost NO "smoke" just a little trickle..... HOWEVER, I got REALLY high.

We tend to associate clouds with getting high, but I'm wondering. I've had a similar experience with flower and my FF2 -- not a giant cloud maker but gets me really high)

So I am pondering today: Are clouds overrated?

I haven’t found a way to get “real high” from low temps with flower, lots of flavor, too much flavor for me most of the time.
    With the carta on the lowest setting I didn’t get big clouds but did get nice and high! Always seeking a little more, the second setting was too hot for me. I have Dcup coming Monday hoping I can dial it in just right for me. I have used Yocan pens, SAI, Dynacoil, MV1 with pads and tolerate them all for convenience. Honestly I like the Dynacoil the best of all them but the short airpath from all these makes my experience not enjoyable. Then I got a Vrod, took my first small dab through a real(knockoff) glass rig and said, ahh this is what the big deal is all about, lol. I’m still real new and have lots to learn but I think I’m on the right path. I figure I’ll dial the Dcup in and then look for a small size portable that comes the closest. When the iOS app drops in the App Store and is confirmed to work well I might give it another shot.
  • Baron23
    the axials they just sort of "rest" on the coil?EconMan

Well, personally I think all coils on a quartz banger need some sort of attachment and the axials more than barrel as you can't really tighten them.

This is a brilliant and inexpensive solution from 710coils.com

https://710coils.com/products/710-coils-clip-kit
  • Hapo
    ...does using a V Rod count...???...

...does a quartz banger offer something a D Cup won't....???...

...all I got from dabbing with a torch and banger were nasty sooty hits...

...waisted most of the stuff...
  • EconMan
    With the carta on the lowest setting I didn’t get big clouds but did get nice and high! Always seeking a little more, the second setting was too hot for me.52

Yeah. Precisely. I've learned roundabouts like a dry run first on 2 then bring it down right before the actual dab. But you are correct.
12Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet