No, I would dump and clean the solvent one. I’m pretty anal about cleaning after every dab. Thought I scorched one side but it came out after the next dab cleaning. In fact when I do put a proper rig together I’m wanting to go with a round bottom for cleaning purposes alone, I hate corners. Do they indeed clean easier? Can someone share the pros and cons of a round bottom? They must not be for everyone because I see more flat bottom pics around.
  • EconMan
    Can someone share the pros and cons of a round bottom?52

The con is relatively low surface area -- not ideal for a traditional dab.

Pro's are it is very forgiving for newbies, no corners for oil to get trapped, and the lower surface area makes for nice cold starts. Terp ball easily spins. And yes, easier to clean. Also note thickness matters greatly. A 2mm thick round-bottom will behave differently from a 4mm thick round bottom.

I’m assuming 4mm is preferred for heat retention?
  • John Cocktostone
    I'm going to run 2 tests. One with Piece Water and the other with Dark Crystal in the ultrasonic cleaner. The insert will be from a well used carta quartz as they are the hardest to get clean.

I’ll be interested in the results. Piece water, you clean with it? Interesting.
  • John Cocktostone
    no but it's made to trap resins and such and with the power of the UT cleaner I have hopes
  • Dr green thumb

4mm allows more heat retention and a slightly longer time to heat up. Being able to torch less and still get results is imo well worth it
  • EconMan
    I just ordered this Demmel torch set. I can think of multiple uses. :naughty:

https://www.amazon.com/vdp/abb1c4c4792e4212bf01438d076f4cb5
  • John Cocktostone
    ohhhh damn!! that thing sent blood to all parts of my body
    Good evening everyone. What’s the deal with these 3-5 minute heat up times?
    https://puffingbird.com/blogs/news/how-long-should-you-heat-quartz-bangers
  • EconMan
    What’s the deal with these 3-5 minute heat up times?52

Beats me. I've NEVER gone that long. Weird essay. The standard of analysis is dumb, because "heat time" is very torch-dependent. Which torch I use determines heat time and the heat time expected determines which torch I use. Big Red will heat a banger faster than a bic lighter.

I have a digital thermometer and I get my quartz up to about 700f and then let it cool a bit to around 575, then drop, carb, and draw. Apply additional flame as needed and desired depending on banger and load size.

The only banger I could conceive of needing 7 minutes of torch time would be this one :gasp:
    rBVaI1jsN92ADhEgABCblKJfB1g493.jpg

Even these nutty mother fuckers didn't need 7 minutes for their insane (and poorly done) 400g dab.
  • LabPong
    I just ordered this Demmel torch set. I can think of multiple uses. :naughty:

https://www.amazon.com/vdp/abb1c4c4792e4212bf01438d076f4cb5
    EconMan

I want to see you sweat some copper water lines now....lol
  • Bad Dog
    Decided to have a dab day yesterday because my back was out but it didn't go as planned. I had nothing to do for a few hours that afternoon more complicated than walking the dogs, or at least so I thought. I had broken out my cheap banger and dhgate bubbler and loaded it up with a 2 x size dab. Did a cold start and the first hit was a nice flavourful medium density but the second hit was a absolute lung buster. I had just set down the bong and the high was just starting to wash over me when I heard a noise that instantly reminded me of something I had forgotten and needed immediate attention so I set off high as a kite to take care of it. So I ended up having a dab interrupted which sucks, it pretty much ruined the high. Don't you hate it when that happens?

Since yesterday's dab was ruined I've decided to splurge and have another dab day today but no 2x dabs lol. My Ditanium sits across the room cold and unused as I once again choose my banger as my delivery system of choice. I find it kinda funny that I went with my banger even though some stacked cbd dabs would be nice today but instead I'm doing them separately
  • okla68m
    This probably Tops the most Insane, Stupid, Hedonistic, Wasteful thing I've ever seen people do
    400 gms... 88% of a Pound(454)....Boy, am I compressed.....NOT !!!
  • EconMan
    Don't you hate it when that happens?Bad Dog

Yeah man. It happens to me a lot because I do so much work on the phone and some calls need to be taken right then -- even in mid hit.
    And my cat fucks with me a lot when I dab. It's bizarre actually. Asshole. :joke:

This probably Tops the most Insane, Stupid, Hedonistic, Wasteful thing I've ever seen people do
    400 gms... 88% of a Pound(454)....Boy, am I compressed.....NOT !!!
    okla68m

Preach it my Okie brother! :nerd:
    Terpometer,
    w4aouai6ka7vjvy8.jpeg
  • EconMan
    Terpometer,52

Cool. Yeah, I saw it first via the 710Extractionist. You like it? I've been using a digital/laser therm.
  • EconMan

Just an FYI to folks (not saying don't buy it), it does nothing useful I can see that a $10 food or surface thermometer will do.
    I use a laser therm for my bangers ($25) as well as this (I bought it to verify my rosin press plates). It works find for those who want to see how hot their Carta is getting. The laser therm works well for that too -- although the Carta's bucket size is a bit small, you can get an reliable reading if steady.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07P182J8M/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title

61vnpZ1Z4FL._AC_SL1200_.jpg
  • Dr green thumb

I thought it was a gimmick and I wasn't going to waste my money on what is essentially an expensive meat thermometer.

$20 non contact thermometer is a more popular option

It’s not the same for me, my brand new temp gun was off by 70-100° and can’t read the Carta, at least that was my experience. You guys that are experienced old school dabbers won’t need this unless your a gadget guy like me, you just might want one. If you shop around they go for $100 shipped, I paid a little more and tax that came out to $119 locally. Totally worth it for me, please don’t forget the for me part, lol. I have scorched my cheap banger and my lungs trying to do a traditional dab and under heated, I know it’s supposed to be part of the learning curve but I’m too old to waste sessions, time and rosin, haha. Now with my cheap banger I’m right in the ballpark. I also like to watch how the different surfaces react to and retain heat, how long one can linger on a favorite temperature, and I’m also learning a lot about and dialing in my Carta and SAI. Looking forward comparing a $11 banger including a carb cap with a quality $30 banger quality cap, and some day a custom banger. Again all this can be done by trial and error or a temp gun as long as it’s consistent but this is very nice have if your a little nerdy. I experimented a little too much last night :joke:
  • EconMan
    Totally worth it for me, please don’t forget the for me part, lol. I have scorched my cheap banger and my lungs trying to do a traditional dab and under heated, I know it’s supposed to be part of the learning curve but I’m too old to waste sessions, time and rosin, haha.52

I would dab with you :love: You like science. :cool:
    My friends and I like to "debrief" each hit... what went well, not so well, and what "tech" could have made it even better. Sometimes we will film it, then watch it while we dab another; the sound of the former dab now being background noise for the current.

Economics is about objectifying subjective valuation, and If YOU like it and find it useful it is a good purchase for you. It looks like you can get something very similar -- not branded for dabs -- on amazon just in the "tools" section sensors and controllers for around $40-50 but it is not as "elegant" nor as easy to use as the Terpometer perhaps. Regardless, if it works for you it is a good thing.

Tangent. If your banger is really clean (like mine are usually) the laser therm can be precarious to use. What helped me was to turn off the "laser pointer" which although works great for long distances (like to measure the air conditioning vent temp) it causes you to point it wrong on tiny distances from the gun. Turn it off and use the Force Luke! :nerd:
  • EconMan
    This is interesting. Although the content is bikes, I found much of the discussion on titanium relevant to dabbing. i.e. titanium oxide.

And it gives me additional appreciation for my titanium Dyna Omni Xl :love:

Not sure if this has been posted here or not.

https://keytocannabis.com/blogs/cannabis/are-you-dabbing-at-the-right-temperature

So, is dabbing above 450° technology no longer “vaping”?
    Also(sorry editing above post timed out), this makes sense as to my Vrod. While I think the Vrod great it never gives me the same Punch or effects as my Carta or Rio at 550-580° according to my Terpometer. On the Vrod I have to run my controller at 800° to get the Ti surface below the SIC dish(Terpometer will not fit into the dish groove) up to 520° so the dish has to be lower then that. With my controller set to 665° Ti surface is around 425°. This is after I tightened the shit out of my coil on the Vrod which lowered my controller for flower 50° from where I was before I tightened the coil(caution when tightening coil as I went too tight). Also, the temps on my Milwaukee(not sure who really makes it) temp gun and mini no name gun are 50-100 higher then the Terpometer.
  • EconMan

An epistemology problem. Which temp reading is correct? You're assuming the terpometer is the correct one.

Lol, I knew you were going to bring that up :lol: But yes I do, I have to, I just bought it, lol.
  • Pud
    my Home Depot actually rents a really high end flir gun... you know it is accurate. Then you will know which one to trust
  • xaced
    Can you drop the temps so the FP surface reads about 212. Drop some water and you know ifs it's too low or high?
  • Baron23
    That's actually a good way to test the calibration of your k type thermocouple.

Put it in a pot of boiling water....not touching any sides and confirm 212F

Put it in a container of almost all ice with some water that has had a chance to cold soak and see how close to 32F you get.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment