• EconMan

Baron passes epistemology 101 :nerd:

Great idea! I can hear a wet qtip just start to sizzle when the Terpometer is at 204°, which makes sense as I’m at 5400 feet above sea level. I’d say it’s within 3-5°.
  • Bad Dog
    I like the idea of the terpometer and I have as of yet to experiment with traditional dabs. I hate the fact of ruining some dabs dialling it in. However to me its a bit like a IH for your Vap cap, it would be nice and easy but there are ways of getting by without it. Still it would be nice to take some of the guess work out of dabbing
  • EconMan
    Still it would be nice to take some of the guess work out of dabbingBad Dog

Get a round-bottom banger and an adjustable smaller torch, and no guess work. Remove the torch from the banger when you start getting vapor almost as thick as you like. Add it back when the vapor starts to decline from what you like. Repeat until dab is done. Don't burn. Stop before the last molecule of oil is off the banger.

I have not wasted or even damaged a dab using this tech. It is almost impossible. You would have to really try to fuck it up.
  • Hapo
    ...I got the DG round bottom banger like yours methinks...is it 2mm...???...

...I make it look easy...I am not really trying to fuk it up...

...I am looking for a minute glass for the Elev8r...

...the one big pearl is better than lots of tiny ones...

• Bad Dog
    I've seen the links you've posted for the banger you mentioned. Till my cheap clear thick bottom banger gives way I won't likely get anything new but it's nice to know where to go from here. It sounds like your describing a cold start dab? If so I'm already a fan and have gotten pretty good with them and more often than not things go as planned and I'm more than happy with the results. I also like stacked dabs on my Ditanium but when I want a bigger dab I tend to reach for my banger.
  • EconMan
    ...I got the DG round bottom banger like yours methinks...is it 2mm...???...Hapo

Yeah. Nice for cold starts. :)
    I also have a similar one that is not a slashguard that is 4mm, and it is wonderful for heat retention for traditional style dabs :)

when I want a bigger dab I tend to reach for my banger.Bad Dog

Yep. me too. The "devices" are nice for a convenient and easy quicky, but if you want to take a real dab you need a real rig.

On the Carta, it's near impossible to take a large dab... half of it overflows over the rim of the crucible into the atomizer anyway which is always troubling.
  • EconMan
    Just an FYI, I think this is a good buy for anyone needing a cheap thermometer set.
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072B9ZJTC/ref=dra_a_rv_hp_ho_xx_P1200_1000
  • EconMan
    Aged three days in freezer — glass jar. Key Lime Pie. Nice :love:
    qexk67xwmhszdf44.jpeg
  • Bad Dog
    That stuff looks :fire:
  • Bad Dog
    Had a dabbing evening first some king Louie sugar wax on the Ditanium, nothing crazy just a handful of smaller one hitters aided by the carb cap. Then I moved onto the main course blueberry diamonds in sauce in my banger. It’s my first time with the stuff and I’m not sure how to get best results but I did a cold start and let it make vapour a while before carb caping and hitting. When I did it never really produced real dense vapour, I feathered the heat but no real improvement. By the time I was finished with my draw the dab was pretty much spent leaving behind a very thin layer of smutch.
  • Bad Dog
    Dam I just had a amazing dab of blueberry diamonds in sauce........ ah man was it good. I switched up my technique a bit and basically non stop stirring of the bottom of the banger without mercy! And had a bit bigger size dab than I've been doing. It was just the perfect storm of load size and heating and dab placement on top of the terp pearl, the first hit was really nice and I would have been satisfied if the second was just as good but it was so much better! I blew out a massive cloud that fogged my entire bedroom, took the clean up hit then swabbed it out. Being forward thinking my already made coffee was there to soothe any irritation. I was in such a euphoric state that the coffee was fantastic....... was it fantastic? Fuk no! It was was instant! But I tell you it was a soothing symphony of flavour, downed two cups worth in 15 minutes....... Dam it was good! That might have been the best dab I've ever done .... Fuk dude
  • Azn2101
    Hey guys I had an Insert show up today and it's my first Ruby insert and was wondering if these markings on the bottom were normal for Gemstone inserts and was just noticeable on Ruby and wont/doesn't show on Sapphire inserts.

Thus is after a ISO bath and through Qtip wipe down to see if it was just some crap from transport that got stuck on it but nothing came off and that circle is deep enough for a fingernail to get caught.

Any help would be really appreciated.

20200306-140951.jpg

20200306-135641.jpg
  • okla68m
    Are these "Inserts" melted and poured into this shape or are they Ground into this shape?
  • Azn2101
    They're I believe their made in pretty large slabs and cut into blocks for machining & polish.

The polish is obviously pretty important cause this weighs about 1/5 more mass for heat retention yet takes about 20°F higher temp for the same effectsas a used to hell v1 GreekGlass Sapphire with no blemishes and a glass like polish but the seller sending another one out that looked good from the picture he sent and I also have one coming from DH cause I was trying for a SiC but an issue came up and he substituted the order for the Ruby instead so I'll have another seller's insert to test it against.
  • LabPong
    The polish is obviously pretty important cause this weighs about 1/5 more mass for heat retention yet takes about 20°F higher temp for the same effectsAzn2101

I just got a ruby insert from 710 a couple weeks ago. I did not have good results using it because I thought it was supposed to be able to use less heat than normal. That makes sense as I did not get as much vapor with the same temps using just the banger and pearls.

But the other issue I have is using a spinner cap or the stock Pi directional cap from 710 with the ruby insert. the directional end of the cap hits and moves the insert around...so I use a low profile spinner cap and it does not work good enough to spin the 2 ruby pearls in the 25mm banger with insert.

Anyone have good experience with using 25mm banger with an insert and get the pearls to spin good?
  • Azn2101
    That's where this one came from too, Love Shane but the First was supposed to be his 25mm SiC, then this one and I'm waiting for my 2nd ruby...

If I'm feeling "pinky up-ish" I can get great flavor and decent vapor w/ 2x 3mm ruby pearls in the Sapphire GG v1 at 475°F on the Auber 300 leaving it close to 425-430 Floor temps.

But ya I'm so confused with this Gemstone Insert thing since some people are setting their 300A's to get like <400°F Floor Temps and these definitely require a higher temp than lower with the Ruby
  • LabPong
    If I'm feeling "pinky up-ish" I can get great flavor and decent vapor w/ 2x 3mm ruby pearls in the Sapphire GG v1 at 475°F on the Auber 300 leaving it close to 425-430 Floor temps.Azn2101

Yes....I found I needed to go about 480-500 with the ruby insert.
  • Azn2101
    I was just gonna ask about spinner caps and inserts.

I recently bought a Bororegon Spinner and it's nib was so wide it couldn't fit inside a 19mm insert so the seller refunded me but I'm wondering what some good options are for non custom/colored prices for a Spinner cap. I'm tempted to just go Gordo but I figured if they were hands down the best everyone would own one.

I was looking at one of those spinner caps that are just a marble with 2-4 slits in it but it looks like you have to pull kinda hard kinda like those new channel caps for pearls to spin.

Also what's up with some caps being for "Spinning Oil" or "Spinning Pearls", is it just an airflow restriction thing or what?
  • EconMan
    Happiness is a freshly washed "El Dose" right before the first dab of the day. :fire:

cigq65pzz5ac71ch.jpg
  • LabPong
    I
    Happiness is a freshly washed "El Dose" right before the first dab of the day. :fire:EconMan

I do not have a "el Dose"..........but I will take my first dab of the day now....... :starstruck:

Good to have you back Econ! :victory:
  • BestBuds
    Just a quick question that I don't think was addressed in this thread. But if it was tell me and I'll go through it.
    Anyway, I have some great chocolate chunk shatter but the last bit I have is a m&m sized chunk. I usually take my pick tool from @Bud and touch it to the Ditanium dish, once it's slightly warm I use it to grab up a rice sized piece and off I go.

My problem is: if I try to cut that chunk of shatter into smaller pieces it's going to shatter all over my damn room. :groan: how do you guys cut down big chunks of shatter?
  • Baron23
    Try warming a knife blade then go for it.

I bought one of these....for no reason that I can think of. I may still have it...or I may have tossed it to make space cause there ain't nuttin' I'm going to be doing with it in the foreseeable future.

But this would do it also.

accessories-budder-cutter-1_1024x1024.jpg?v=1572032884

https://www.drdabber.com/collections/all/products/budder-cutter
  • BestBuds
    You gave me an idea. I have a woodburner pen with a razor tip. Worked great! :up:
  • EconMan
    You gave me an idea. I have a woodburner pen with a razor tip. Worked greatBestBuds

That works! :cool:
    I don't use my Carta anymore, but I love its dabtool. I **slightly* heat it and it cuts without melting.
  • EconMan
    Funny how people‘s preferences are a little bit like a roller coaster. I’ve generally favored “warm starts“ but this distillate is so clean it can take some heat without burning. M
    My technique is that I don’t heat the bottom of the banger, only the sides and the top. I go hot. Say 700f with a good cooling water rig like my beloved :love: El Dose :love:
    I love the round-bottom banger. The cold ball collects oil that spins on the hot sides vaporizing it when when you toke, and when you need an exhale just pop the cap and come back -- the ball falls to the bottom and gets another coat of oil ready to be vaporized in hit #n+1.
    It is a lovely technique if the material is clean enough.

My first dab of the day. Think next time I won't give it quite as much cool-down time, as I felt I needed just a little more heat to sustain it through (why I broke out the minitorch).

• Bad Dog
    My current dab rig...... since I broke my other bong

Tonight’s dab will be the last one in my banger, my torch is dead and my back up is defective. I can’t risk half melting a dab then my lighter gives out. I’m in conservation mode and can’t waste anything.
  • BestBuds
    damn. You're having bad luck lately! Can't get propane, breaking glass. When's it gunna end?! :sweat:
  • EconMan
    Anybody ever do a 15g dab? Me either. But the idea of it is fascinating.
    g7dsvbiorjevrl42.jpeg

my torch is dead and my back up is defective. I can’t risk half melting a dab then my lighter gives out.Bad Dog

Since I’m now dabbing very stable distillate, I’m not doing cold starts anymore. This is my new torch. Cleaner, hotter, and cheaper. Propane!
    5d58j31kr5yk4ot2.jpeg
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet