• Bud
    Just tried out the mechanic's stethoscope I bought to see where the ticking sound is coming from...

IT'S THE FUEL INJECTORS

A very clear ticking sound that gets louder and faster as you rev,

What do I do???
  • Bud
    They're new injectors installed last year, do they need to be adjusted or something?
  • BestBuds
    I know, stupid question. Did you check your plugs to make sure they are tight? Did you put the good gas in?
    Other than that maybe take a look at the lifter?
  • Pud
    Get some lucas injector cleaner... maybe some junk got in there... are you one yo run your fuel down to below E before you refill?
    As long as you are positive it is coming from the fuel rail and not a rocker arm
  • Dr green thumb
    i1bgbmu0ndzsk94y.jpg
    0p8g01wsjm72d4xm.jpg

Injectors tic, even on stock fuel systems. The fuel additive quieted mine down. I add the oil additive when changing the oil. Hope it helps
  • Bruce
    what does it look like now? BiYatch?
  • Bud
    Changing the brand of gas and adding a healthy dose of marvel mystery oil seems to have helped a little bit, it sounds a lil quieter, hope it stays!!
  • Baron23
    marvel mystery oilBud

That shit is the BOMB!! I have it and use it on rifle bolts and its magic stuff. Never heard of putting it auto oil, but I bet stuff has way less friction.

Where did you run across this product...its not that well known, I believe. I mean, its not a common household item, right?
  • Bruce
    Looks like a kick ass car. Sometimes mufflers or catalytic converters can make noise. I used Cata-Clean no more noise.
  • Bud
    OH HELL NO

kjdvbmhu3fs0zkz6.jpeg

e24i6lhxw7g3zy8r.jpeg
  • LabPong

:monkey:
    Did you leave a window open?
  • androponic
    i guess its a “boxbody” now. lol

Litterbox that is.
  • ChlorophyllMan
    That's for making me live with those 3 other cats.
  • Pakalolo2
    Gato Tacos anyone?
  • Baron23
    Is that in the trunk? How did it get in the trunk to leave you a dooky?
  • Señor Negro
    Her evil face says she doesn't regret it at all :roll:
  • SouthboundPachyderm
    :chin: why Lana, whyyyyyy?
  • BestBuds
    Dude, just shit in her bed. Leave it there for a while? I don't have cats, I don't know. :rofl:
  • Xclerk
    Red interior makes it look so classy...with or without the poop
  • Vapedude
    ^^^^^^^^lol^^^^^^

out the mechanic's stethoscope I bought to see where the ticking sound is coming from...

IT'S THE FUEL INJECTORS

A very clear ticking sound that gets louder and faster as you rev,

What do I do???
    Bud

Nice work with the stetho solution :wink:
    As far as the injector sewing machine sound goes, it's the nature of the beast. This particular vintage injector, makes this type of sound. Use the reputable injector cleaners as a proactive maintenance solution, not to fight the sound.

If i go back memory lane, circa 1990, i had an E30 325is that i had converted to Alpina spec, but took it a step further and stroked it to 3.0L and added a turbocharger kit. This required me to swap out the already noisy stock Bosch injectors, for larger ones.

Researching in my Bosch injector cross-reference hard copy book of the time, I found that I could literally save hundreds of dollars, by swapping directly to "Ford injectors" (by Bosch), instead of buying directly from Bosch themselves. I forget now which model Ford car they came out from, :chin: , we are talking over 40 years ago :razz: .

Point is to finish off the story, I distinctly remember being excited about the swap, thinking the sewing machine sound would dissapear with the new injectors. Well guess what? Placebo effect probably dictated that it was indeed a bit quieter than before :wink: , but overall, my upper cylinder head, ticking, sewing machine sounds became even louder than before. With my DIY stethoscope apparatus, I discovered that the Titanium valve spring retainers, strong as they are, and great for bragging rights, play an integral part at increasing valvetrain and overall under the hood noise :facepalm: or as the wannabee car journalists in the presstitute media would call it, higher than normal NVH.

So don't sweat it, enjoy that vintage beast. I regret selling mine after 25 years of ownership. Prices are appreciating, and judging by your sweet Mustang pic, this thing will age very well :cool: .

As for the cats, no comment :monkey: I'll try and pretend I never saw that. :smile:
  • Budjamin

Ayo bro sorry for never replying to this i'm terrible :monkey:

Just put the Stang back on the road after keeping it in garage for 6 months, she's running good but the ticking sound is back! :rofl:

Might be some more buildup from sitting for so long, BUT i think you're also right, it's kinda supposed to make that sound, thats what the mustang shop told me too, i just dont wanna believe it lol.

Put a fresh tank of 93 in today and a helping of the MMO, should probably do another oil change soon too and put some in there.

I thought about selling it more than once, but i really don't want to, and everybody says they regret it, so for now it stays :cool:

Gota post some new pics and exhaust sounds soon :eyes:
156789Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube