• Bad Dog
    I just ordered a thick bottom banger and I was wondering what's the best way to heat it up? How long? What's your pattern?
  • Hapo
    ...I burnt stuff in mine, then chipped my glass with it, and then I dropped it and it broke...

...methinks I was doing it wrong...
  • Terpenetime
    @Bad Dog how long will depend on the size of your torch but evenly is the best bet to avoid stressing the glass.
  • treecityrnd
    Time: It's a learning curve with each new banger. 1 up & :30 down is a good rule, but it could be 2 up & 1 down, or 1 up & 45 down. It all depends on the quality of the quartz. Anything in the $200 or above is considered quality for a quartz banger these days. Get a timer (phone works perfectly) and use it or get an IR gun or the new IR boxes or a Terpometer!

Heating: Evenly across the bottom, especially if it's a thick bottom. Is opaque or clear bottom? That will have an effect on heating time, cooling, etc. As said, less stress on the glass if the heat is applied evenly.

Cleaning: And please don't torch it to clean it :scream: That is the #1 way to kill your new banger long term. Chaz is not your friend. Just clean it religiously with DC Clear every night and it will last forever!
  • Bad Dog
    Ouch! my budget won't allow for that. It's just a clear bottom sneaky Pete special today, but the future who knows.
  • treecityrnd
    regardless of price, I think most of what was said still holds for any level quartz, but you'll need to clean more regularly with basic level quartz. Same for torching to clean, regular quartz can't take that stress over time. Your heat up & down times may vary from other bangers. That's why the IR or Terpometer are so important, especially if you want to stay below that 475° range.
  • UbarDog
    Would cold start dabs be better for a new user?
  • Dr green thumb
    yes, as you just heat until it starts to boil, carb cap it and inhale.
  • Bad Dog
    The Terpometer looks pretty cool but it's still out of my budget for right now. Actually I think it's really cool
  • Bad Dog
    Cold start dabs sound easy enough but what is the difference between the two? Flavour or effects?
  • The Rogue Wax Works
    Cold start is the way to go. If you start hitting it early you can preserve all the terpenes normally lost through starting with a hot banger so you get all the flavor but it also allows you to up the heat between hits if you want for bigger clouds.
  • Bad Dog
    Yeah the cold start seems like a good place to start, picked up some more tips in https://forum.vapelife.com/discussion/5464/dabsrus-the-art-and-science-of-dabbing
    Excellent thread, wish I had seen before posting. So I'll tie a bow on this thread and post there with any further questions

Thanks for all the help
  • Hapo
    ...well thanks for posting this and finding that...
  • Tyedyesamuraiguy
    @UbarDog hey, just wanted to touch on cleaning and "seasoning"

If you take a little bit of extract and wipe it on the inside of the banger, then heat the banger and wipe with a moist q tip, it will help prevent it looking so filthy, something about some shit i dont care to fully understand or attempt to explain lol anyway that is called seasoning.

What i do to keep my banger clean is, i avoid over packing and right after i take my rip i get a qtip wet with my mouth :halo: then i "swab the dab deck" these two things keep my banger looking prestine until it starts to chazz!!!
  • Bad Dog
    thanks for the tip. If I remember correctly you're located in Canada? And a fan of terp pearls so where did you get yours? DHgate?
  • Tyedyesamuraiguy
    STALKER!! :joke:
    the ones i have are from dhgate they came with a terpcycler!
    If you can wait it out i would buy a bag full of em on the gait!!
  • Bad Dog
    not sure your my type lol. What size mm is good?
  • Tyedyesamuraiguy
    Its how you use it!!! I like the motion of a little dingy in the ocean :lol:
  • Bad Dog
    thanks for all the help buddy
  • Tyedyesamuraiguy
    no problem man, let me know if you come up with another good use for these things!!!
  • UbarDog

I don't dab. :D But... I have geek'ed out and read some about it all. I always thought to my self I would start with a cold start dab. So, I only chimed in because I felt @treecityrnd might be overwhemling @Bad Dog with good advice.

"Seasoning" I have seen a video about it, I think by sneaky pete, i might be wrong but he was talking about all vapes ? I never watched the video....... should I go back and watch ?
  • Dr green thumb
    typically 4mm to 6mm for the pearls depending on banger size and carb cap. They have caps that spin the Pearl's with little input from yourself as well.
  • Tyedyesamuraiguy
    ive only read something about it. Cold starts are the bomb!
  • treecityrnd
    IMO cold starts are not for beginners. This is why the horrible Eclipse vape failed so miserably. You can easily overshoot your target temp and chaz everything to death?
  • UbarDog

Ops I will back off from advice here
    200.webp?cid=790b76115d2833ef6971674b67eccaaf&rid=200.webp
  • EconMan

I disagree. I think that is perhaps the best way for beginners. A cold start is the default for the "appliances" precisely because it easier. Indeed, read the directions for the Peak/Carta and one might think CS's are the only methodology.

There is no strong expectation of of chazed bangers with CS's. Indeed, the expectation is the opposite -- the temp should NEVER get that hot.
    1. Use a torch with some finesse meaning it has settings between full blast and off. The torch chosen for quick heat up of a traditionally used hot banger, is probably not the one to use for a CS. It needs to be a reasonably adjustable torch that can produce a low to medium flame. I like the Zico MT-25 but there are lots of such choices.
    2. You do NOT need to get the entire banger vape-hot, just a portion of it. Again the goal is not to torch the devil out of the banger, but to get portions of it vape-hot so as oil hits the hot surface as you make it "spash" by inhaling as hot areas of the quartz vaporizing the oil.
    3. Cold Starts are often so much more "forgiving" (with respect to wasting one's oil) since if one for whatever reason needs to stop (beginner problems) and start again, can pop off the cap, wait a little while and salvage their hit. On a traditional dab, once dropped you've crossed the Rubicon and burned your boats; you inhale rapidly and completely or your hit just sits and becomes hydrocarbons in the banger just waiting to fuck up some newbies lungs with a tightness one would imagine experienced from inhaling the sulfur from a match being lit. I've seen people "never dab again".

If someone ONLY did CS's, their bangers would last much longer precisely because one does not get them that hot. Think I'll make an instructional vid sometime this weekend, and will post it in the DabsRus thread. Perhaps from there, interested folks can discuss various techs and we can all improve our dabbing game :nerd:
  • treecityrnd
    This is all assuming the person doing the cold start is good with a torch. This is a huge assumption as I've learned dealing with people new to dabbing or vaping over the last decade or so.

I absolutely agree that it would cause less stress on the quartz over time, no question. But even hot starts are preferred with the Carta & Peak with many dabbers. The preheat & drop method is definitely the best "real dab" experience with these mechanical monsters. Just like any instruction manual for a product, it's worthless :wink:

This is precisely why I only use Disorderly Conduction enails. No need to worry about the temperature and helps my OCD by making sure ever dab is the exact same temp every time.

And everyone has a preferred method, eh? So to the OP try everything!!! That's probably the best advice? Everyone is different. Some like conduction vapes. Some only use convection. Some like hot dabs (fuck those people!). Some like Rick & Morty. It's a strange world.
  • Bad Dog
    I think I'll stick with the cold start for my rosin but I do have a dab or two of shatter left, should I season my banger first and do a reg dab?
  • Hapo

...LoL...you've pretty much described my dabbing experience...NEVER AGAIN...!!!... ( REMEMBER THE MAINE )

...at least until the V Rod gets here...it is still dabbing with an e nail, right...???....
  • Bad Dog
    What about lighter distance? Do you just want the tip to make contact with the banger or is it ok to smooch it against the glass a bit? Is there a difference between a cold start and a reg dab?
  • 420vapezone
    Inserts are my favorite way to dab.

The banger stays clean because oil rarely touches it.
    You get the full spectrum of temp terps as the temp raises slowly, similar to a cold start dab.

And the timing is super easy. Heat the banger, wait 10-20, drop the insert into the banger.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment