• acstorfer
    Yogi and I miss our Firefly 2

ep1mrbjap6m4pdqr.jpeg
  • onejuicyfruit
    :smile: Hey there FF users. Has anyone sent in their FF2 for the upgrade? If so, what did you think about what you got back from them? I have paid the $30 but have not mailed mine to them yet. I'm hoping there really is a change of some sort. Just wondering what your experience is so far.
  • EconMan
    Mine lives within reach. One Year+ and it has not failed me. :love:

79fad9feuzyl1shn.jpeg
  • EasyToSlip
    I did the $30 upgrade from the original. The upgrade is well worth it. FF2 works better. Less restriction on the airflow. ABV is more completely roasted and more evenly brown. The unit seems to be calibrated better than before. Works great.Very consistent. Easier to get good results. Upgrade is highly recommended.
    Firefly customer service is lame.
    I will explain in a longer post.
  • Detroitvapes420
    Ya for the 30 why not. If you have a backup to use of course
  • onejuicyfruit
    Thanks Easy. That is great news you had such an improvement. I'll have to get mine in the mail this week.
    Yes, I do have a second FF2 as backup. Sending in the one which is more restrictive and never quite heated the same as the first one. Thought I would try "one" to see if it worth it. Keep the good news rolling!
  • LabPong
    ↪Detroitvapes420
    Yes, I do have a second FF2 as backup. Sending in the one which is more restrictive and never quite heated the same as the first one. Thought I would try "one" to see if it worth it. Keep the good news rolling!
    onejuicyfruit

Good deal....hopefully the one you sent in will be like a new vape for you when you try it again. Let us know how it turns out for you.
  • WOLF444

EconMan have you tested the FF2+ yet? Or do you plan on getting one?
  • EconMan
    EconMan have you tested the FF2+ yet? Or do you plan on getting one?WOLF444

Yes, and probably no. Not because I don't like the Plus - I do! - but because like @VapeCritic I do not find significant difference between them. In fact, if one loves/hates the FF2 I suspect they will ;ove/hate the FF2+.

That said, I've only used the Plus once, and far from a rigorous testing session. I may have missed things?
    I like my FF2 just as it is (except I removed the ss mouthpiece filter as I find it unnecessary). I actually bought an extra FF2 just to have it. That's how much I like it. :)
    I realize as I am writing I probably should just go get one. I want to get a FF1 too, just to have it, even if I don't like it. Goes with my FF hat! :love:

Reviews are hard because folks care about different things. I am a weirdo vaporist in that I care about so few of the things so many of my dear colleagues value in vapes. Things like efficiency, battery life, and the colour of the avb are almost weighted at zero in my algorithm. To me, worrying about avb texture and color would be like me inspecting my poop to tell you whether a cheeseburger tastes good. :razz:

All I really care about is (1) great taste and (2) obtaining the most potent high given the flower. So anyone reading whatever I might have to say about vapes, should keep this in mind. :nerd:
  • WOLF444

Thanks for the reply...

Asking about this model because I'm seriously considering picking one up.... I have the Ghost MV1 and it's working great for me - however I have the opportunity to purchase the FF2+ at a substantially reduced price point, so I may opt to take advantage of that...

Another question for you... If I'm using the Firefly app, can I easily change the temperatures between hits? I like to start off vaping at a lower temperature and then gradually increase it as the session goes on...

Also, I assume much of the technique for using the FF effectively is finding the right draw speed/strength? Any tips you might offer? I'd be using the device mostly with/for flower...

Thanks...
  • Ctipp22
    This vape is great for a very specific type of vapor. Low and tasty or just use concentrates. Higher temps aren’t as nice IMO on this device. 390 with flower seems to produce a good cloud and flavor. But if you want clouds this isn’t the device for you. If you want flavor and like to use the oil pad for concentrates I believe it could be a great vape for you. Flavor doesn’t get too much better than this!
  • fatbiker
    I’ll be picking one up in the near future for concentrate use.
  • LabPong
    Another question for you... If I'm using the Firefly app, can I easily change the temperatures between hits? I like to start off vaping at a lower temperature and then gradually increase it as the session goes on...

Also, I assume much of the technique for using the FF effectively is finding the right draw speed/strength? Any tips you might offer? I'd be using the device mostly with/for flower...
    WOLF444

I will take that one for Econ....he is probably drooling in a corner somewhere...haaaaa jk :nerd:

With the app open on your phone....you can instantly change on the fly and make any change you want.

Tips on draw technique. Slow.....steady....steady......then lift the power buttons when you taste or feel it in the back of your throat....and still keep drawing that last bit coming off the cooling heater that still is in the vapor path

Start at about 360F for flower and 460F for traits.

:sparkle:
    I was drawing too slow at first. Then I picked it up until I hear a very slight whistle then back off and get surprising nice clouds at 360-380. I think the whistling I hear might be air leaking in under the lid? If so, that’s just about the devices maximum airflow. Kind of like they designed it that way, lol. It’s not a fast draw at all if I made it sound that way.
  • LabPong
    I usually mouth hit it during concentrate pad warm up....sort of deliberate like cigar puffs..but slower longer puffs. But if flower, I do not draw hard at all. The sound of the rustling air coming in....is from the intake below the bowl area.

I also am one that takes out the metal screen in the mouth piece.....no need if you do not grind small and do not hit too hard. With concentrates.......what ever draw you want....you can do with no problems....I like this.

With flower...I am much more gentle with my draws, I don't puff it at all...just consistent slow pulls with only slight variation of strength. Most of the time there is no need to draw all the way to the auto shut off especially after a pull or two.

About how many bowls do you get per battery? I’m going to South Dakota in a couple weeks and plan on bringing this for flower and trates, also bringing dynavap. I will be without power for 4 days except for a few power banks I bring.
  • LabPong
    When I do concentrates....I get 2 sessions.....that is lots of time on the heater though.

Flower I am not sure...I will say 3-4 good ones. But I usually charge up at 50%.....so I am not sure in full.

Extra batteries or a few power bricks are a must for a 4 day off the grid.
  • EconMan
    Thanks for the reply...
    Asking about this model because I'm seriously considering picking one up....
    WOLF444

I would. It's such a great vape, and as @Ctipp22 said, it really isn't a vape where you want to scorch with it. Depending on my strain and my mood, sometimes I'll take the first draw at 380 ... fantastic taste hit.... less clouds but you get high. Some strains I start at 360 as they have such delightful cannabinoid so sensitive to heat - you lose them if you go in too hot too soon.

I will take that one for Econ....he is probably drooling in a corner somewhereLabPong

How did you know. FF2 and a gram of oil is a dangerous thing :nerd:

About how many bowls do you get per battery?52

A few months ago someone asked about battery life, so I did a "scientific" measurement experiment.
    https://forum.vapelife.com/profile/4098/econman

In summary at room temp, with flower I got 20 full-draws per battery. With concentrates I got about 2-4 sessions at 500f. I go backpacking a lot, and I use to take it -- it was fine for a week long trip. However, for backpacking now I take my Dyna. Less weight.

Now about concentrates mode. I encourage everyone to not be afraid to "overheat" (solid red light) their FF2. Your dab will really "start" once it overheats. It is nirvana. Heaven. The Money Shot. The device is no longer putting out new heat, just the old heat now is now strong enough to put real icing on that dab. I'll go a bit further and make a wild statement that if you are not over heating you're not really getting a FF2 power hit. I purposely now try and overheat once I know I'm more than halfway through my FF2 dab, so the first half is extra tasty and the last one is extra potent!

Your first 5 seconds in concentrate mode should be "cigar puffing" the tactical goal is to get some convection air into the chamber and get the liquid pad (I switched to S&B "liquid pads for dosing capsules since they work better for bigger dabs) very hot. REMEMBER, on the FF2 the airflow is OUT of the bowl, not into it. If you keep this in mind, the device makes sense.

Lastly, just as a cute story, apparently the FF2+ bowl design came from a FF2 fan in Norway. He re engineered the stainless disc at the bottom of the bowl, changing hole size and placement. He sent it to the owner who said his ego automatically didn't like it, yet upon trying it could tell it addressed what *some* of their customers were complaining of (tight airflow, etc). They reengineered his reengineering and the FF2+ was born. They also paid him nicely, although no one will say how much.
  • WOLF444

EconMan when I'm using my MV1 I start all of my vape sessions off at 300 F, then incrementally bump it up to 340 F, 365 F, 390 F, all the way up to 420 F or so before I finish the material...

And I do that for the reason that you alluded to, some of the compounds being sensitive to higher temperatures... I want to get the most complete/full profile of the strain's compounds as possible so I prefer to vape at gradually increasing temperatures...
  • EconMan

Absolutely. On the FF2, it is a dynamic heat cycle algorithm. It doesn't "just go to temp" regardless of what you set it. It seeks to create a nonlinear temp curve that doesn't get to full temp until a graduation through the lower "temps for terps". Regardless, if one likes taste, you can't go in too hot too soon :)
  • Dankpup
    So interested in trying a ff2+, seems like it’s such a polarizing vape, but people on here with lots of knowledge/experience seem to be fans.
  • Dr green thumb

From the comments about the ff2 and ff2+ I see more people liking it for concentrate than flower.

I am curious if the battery life was improved enough to make it a good vape for away from home.
  • Tyedyesamuraiguy
    i find it okay away from home if i have both battiers charged up just in case. I just make sure shes always charging at night, if im using it enough.
    I went back to a ff2+ from a ff2 that I really liked but didn’t like how dirty it got after one bowl and I still don’t, lol. Yes it cleans up easy but it looks gross after one use. That said it’s still the best option for me for a portable semi pocketable away from the house for both flower and concentrates. I don’t really vape away from home much and if I do it’s not for long so battery life doesn’t really matter, when I am I use a dynavap. Battery life still doesn’t impress me but in my typical situation doesn’t really matter.

Now, I see a big improvement from what I remember ff2 was. Maybe the firmware update made them both better. I really like it for flower, 360-380 I kill a full bowl of coarse grind in three 7-10 second draws with a fast as it can handle draw, mine seems to run hotter then I remember the ff2 did, 400 and above it chars and combusts. Medium grind a couple more draws maybe but it holds more of a smaller grind. The mouthpiece screen went missing(without me taking it out on purpose) and with medium/coarse to coarse grind no problem. Fine grind a different story. Even with concentrates I get best results with nice clouds with a fast as it will take, make it whistle draw.
  • LabPong
    From the comments about the ff2 and ff2+ I see more people liking it for concentrate than flower.

I am curious if the battery life was improved enough to make it a good vape for away from home.
    Dr green thumb

Battery life is if any more.... minimum. But I can not tell exactly yet if my regular FF2's go as long as my FF2+. I can tell the new heating structure form the update though. But I usually end up charging it no matter what after 2 sessions. Out in the wild....it serves it's purpose if I can sneak hits at anytime......fast...instantly and no sessions to deal with. This is my fav thing about using the FF2's........being able to medicate with 2-3 hits of rosin damn fast.....Im sold! It is by far my fav way to do rosin now.....Crystal with direct hits is 2nd...and for when I need some big pain relief. That is usually when I use the Crystal...evenings or when muscle and nerve pain set in.

I don’t really vape away from home much and if I do it’s not for long so battery life doesn’t really matter, when I am I use a dynavap. Battery life still doesn’t impress me but in my typical situation doesn’t really matter.52

Same thoughts for me as I expressed it above to Dr. GT

For flower though....I really do not enjoy it with the FF2's....though I will do it as I have a dedicated spare for that if needed. Same as above use case with flower.....if I can get a few quick pulls on it while mobile.....I'm good. But after that when I get home or the next morning and have to deal with cleaning it...I do not like it so much....haaaa But there is no other on demand portable I would use yet. I still like my Argo for having the time to do 10 min sessions though. Those or a live resin cart is what I would use away from home.

Oh....I do not use the mp screen for flower or rosin....totally not needed. I am careful drawing though on flower after the first couple draws. Grind medium to coarse if you pull the mp screen.
    Hey guys, should I order more FF concentrate pads or the ones for the crafty/dosing capsule size? I think I read the S&B ones fit and are thicker? Which preform better and about how often do they need cleaning and how will I know other then taste? Thanks.
  • VapeCritic
    Live Review of the Firefly 2+ at 2:30pm ET
    https://youtu.be/tuP17qfKxaE

• LabPong
    Hey guys, should I order more FF concentrate pads or the ones for the crafty/dosing capsule size? I think I read the S&B ones fit and are thicker? Which preform better and about how often do they need cleaning and how will I know other then taste? Thanks.52

I have tried the S&B dosing pads.....they are too thick and slightly too wide....but you can cram one in and use it no problem. But now since the stock FF ones are available again.....no need.

I usually rotate 3 pads....I clean after about 3 sessions......you will taste it getting slightly stale and should have a good sense of when is too long. But it will also get fairly dark spotted and sticky around the edges. You will notice where the front area is that the air path bends around at the top of the bowl is where it builds up....I rotate the pad at least 1 time per session to not have the material move to one side or part of the pad while vaping on it.

Depending on what you put in your FF.......YEMV :nerd:
  • VapeCritic
    God damn mic echo!!

Sorry about that!!!
  • game 7
    I understand that Firefly will turn your Firefly2 into a Firefly 2+ for a price. Has anyone tried this and at what price ? Thanks
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment