• Ctipp22
    Well everyone I know works inside the industry here so it has to be. The products I speak of are purchased in store and regulated. My buddy works for a super high end garden and has a press for himself and they have one there in office.
  • Baron23
    Ah, thanks....and my friend, truly I'm not trying to join in on beating you up about this! hahaha

Just a spirited discussion.

Hope I didn't offend.

Cheers
  • Ctipp22
    none taken from anyone. Id rather talk about this than ecigs
  • Pud
    1000 times, yes!
  • Alexis
    I dont know too much about rosin at all guys, but something drew me to this thread, maybe because I'm taking my Dabpress to my mate Dave this Friday and I should do some revising.

He doesnt know anything about pressing really, I feel like I have a duty to get him up and running but I've forgotten pretty much everything I tried to learn the year ago and never put into practice in the end.

I can't even remember what temps, time etc to suggest. I think 190 ish, for 2 minutes?

But this is my point here, I was under the impression that rosin was much more than THC alone, like the full range of whatever cannabinoids and terpenes are present and which are successfully converted into rosin at the time.

Is this surely not the case? I have wondered though what percentage the entire additional cannabinoids make up compared to THC perhaps it is a very low percentage like 1 or 2.

I was under the impression also that 20-30% was pretty standard working with high strength trains once technique has been developed. I'm sure I formed this expectation from following all the guys in the Dabpress thread on FC last year.

Dave gets pretty good gear, real high strength stuff anyway so I will be interested to see how he does with it over time with practice.
  • EconMan

Me either so I wrote my weed client in CO. He says he pays (via bulk contract) for testing:
    $100 per 10lbs of flower
    $1000 per batch sample set of concentrate or edibles.

He said he didn't have any idea of what a licensed lab would charge for ONE layman's batch of rosin (or even if they would want the business - labs are backed up he says) from a "non-player". He did say whatever it would be he would think it would exceed the value of the rosin, homemade concentrate, etc.

So it seems to me if one pressed an entire oz and got a 20% return, that would be 5.6g. If it cost say $200 (full retail - no volume/client discount) for the test, then that's a cost of roughly $35/g testing charges on that batch. :scream: Seems cost prohibitive.

He also said something that intrigued me (now I have to learn about gas - lol). Quote from email.

"Like gasoline where "octane" is a comparison of relative iso-octane and normal heptane, a lab can't just test for THC but must also for THCa because THC percentages mean more than literal THC. Fresh flower has almost NO THC but lots of THCa. Rosin, will have lots of THC but very little THCa. So the formula they use takes a weighted average, just like with gasoline. THCa will NOT get you high until it has been either naturally or artificially decarboxylated (vaping and smoking does this "on-the-fly which is why the high is so different). That said, if your friend just has to test there is an sensor that can be bought that uses your iPhone but itself is about $800 (and the sensor chips wear out) and has a margin of error of about 15%, drastically lower than a real lab."
  • Alexis
    vaping and smoking does this "on-the-fly which is why the high is so differentEconMan

Intesresting you say that because an old thread was just revived on FC, regarding the need to or effectiveness of decarbing bud BEFORE vaping.

I have always thought that to be somewhat pointless because I too was under the impression that the conversion from non psychoactive THCA to THC was quite a pleasant and complete when the herb is vaporized. In an automatic process.

Im still mostly satisfied of that, I mean vaping is just so damned effective. You dont need a well refined, fancy process to get high quality, fast acting, high efficacy active cannabinoids and THC into your system, consistently to great effect.

Like with other methods of production and different products etc like edibles, salves, extracts.
    Just stick flower in.
    But, it seems there may actually be some merit to decarbing first. I can't see I would ever personally feel the need because I do I cook my ABB and it makes some really nice canna coconut oil which is really relaxing but also quite helpful for my anxiety so I'm not bothered about decarbing my bed before I bake in order to extract more fully and quickly from it.

As long as I get it all one way or the other but I'm not even bothered about that necessarily as long as I get what I need.

Also I still find it a little ironic how we also focused on converting the farm or medicinal and anti-inflammatory THCA into the much less medicinal and potentially insanity causing lol THC!

Although I still a little confused between THCA and THCV as to which one is the real super anti-inflammatory powerhouse. I got there muddled up pages go in I can't remember if they're both on par or if one is just just simply ready to be made into THC and not good for very much else.

Need to refresh.
  • fatbiker
    I was in the process of purchasing a press earlier this year. During my time researching I was evaluations all different options from $200 to $2000. My research led me to the NewVape Tegridy 20 Ton 3x5. I was new to concentrates altogether so the press was a whole new experience for me. My first few presses I was focused on maximizing yields. After the first free presses I quickly realize that yields will vary significantly with marginal changes in temp, duration, pressure, etc. (Not to mention the different pack styles.) I can’t remember the last time I bothered tracking yield.

Buy a press that appeals to you and that you will enjoy using. Good Luck!
  • Baron23
    $100 per 10lbs of flowerEconMan

Sheeeet! If I could get that, I would make an appt with Frenchy to learn as I LOVE traditional hashish. Cut my teeth on it.

And I'd smoke it and wouldn't care! haha
  • EconMan
    My research led me to the NewVape Tegridyfatbiker

Outstanding press. I approve of your judgement. :nerd:
    And yes, I agree, get the press that calls you. It will work.

Sheeeet! If I could get that, I would make an appt with Frenchy to learn as I LOVE traditional hashish. Cut my teeth on it.Baron23

LOL. I'm sorry. I edited my post to reflect what I see now as an easy to misread statement. The prices he quoted are for testing product, not product. Those are the prices he PAYS. :nerd:
  • Gman
    It's been done a lot, in legal states it'll show the % right on it. I see 60s-80s a lot. My buddy had his WW test in the 70s. SO I'm sure the last 30% is water/terps/lipids and who knows what else.

Fire Bubble hash rosin is really up there, high 80's.
  • EconMan
    I see 60s-80s a lot.Gman

Is that bubble hash pressed or direct flower rosin? Honestly, I don't know what the "typical" THC content of a typically squished bud is?

I only know a same-size dab of my bho oils gets me "higher" than a dab of my rosin. But my rosin tastes so much better. Especially with distillation (unless you can afford the EXPENSIVE equipment required for multifractional), so much of the "character" of the flower is lost. This is why so many choose to dilute their oil with terps, but all 3rd-party acquired terps are not the same. The terps themselves now become solvents if simply added to already manufactured oils.
  • Gman
    BHO will often test higher than straight flower rosin. Be it also depends if they failed to dewax the BHO. We all know there is more "dirty" ie "wax" in rosin. The thing with bubble rosin, is a lot of it was removed in the ice water extraction so it can be any range of purity from garbage to 99% pure.
  • John Cocktostone
    I'm still digging my Nugsmasher Mini. The size and quality of the welds and craftsmanship is decent. Not sure why they get so much hate..... It will be my travel/quick press/loaner. Now that I know I enjoy pressing I want a bigger one that can do at least a quarter.
  • EconMan
    The thing with bubble rosin, is a lot of it was removed in the ice water extraction so it can be any range of purity from garbage to 99% pure.Gman

Oh yes my friend. I have not had much of it but the best dabs of my life have ALL been from pressed BH rosin. NOTHING is better IMO (of course assuming good BH and good expertise).

I'm still digging my Nugsmasher Mini.John Cocktostone

NS makes good stuff. Nothing bad to say about them at all, other than perhaps in their earlier days their marketing was somewhat misleading with various claims of spurious yields. I love how they actively make vids on how to use their products (much better than Dulytek does) and have a more active media presence. Dulytek as a company, is almost introverted. lol

If I was to buy a NS, it would be an XP. A bit on the expensive side, but a fantastic press. :starstruck:
    Indeed, it might be the cheapest tru "professional grade" press available.

I'm getting a delivery of flower tomorrow and I'll be firing up my Dulytek DW6000 -- one of the most differentiated presses available; totally electric. Push a button and your squish begins. Again, there are pros and cons in this.
  • John Cocktostone
    I'm buying that one once I move. The dulytek
  • EconMan

Yeah, I went from the cheapest press I argue is a REAL rosin press (not merely a clamp), to the incredible DW6000. At first I hated it, because it did everything for me. Position the parchment and push a button. Messed with my control issues :joke:
  • Gman
    Pressed some flower today;
    Bubba kush = 22% yield
    Violator Kush 21% yield
    PGSC+SD = 12%

So it's all over the place but kush always seems to give me good results. Like other indicas.
  • Baron23
    do you know the THC % of the flower before pressing?
  • EconMan
    Like other indicasGman

I wonder why that is? Sativa for me often is "finicky"
  • Gman
    Not sure, might just be the genetics. It's all up tot he glands though, even the stringiest buds can have huge yields if the glands are numerous.
  • Gman
    Not often no. In fact very rarely do I know the THC content of the flower of what I squish, I wish I did.
  • EconMan
    rarely do I know the THC content of the flower of what I squishGman

I never once have. Obviously, I try to use the best buds, but that is all I really know.
  • LabPong
    Like other indicas — Gman

I wonder why that is? Sativa for me often is "finicky"
    EconMan

Yup....its all in the genetics of the strains. Generally, sativa's tend to be much less dense overall in plant development. But with today's crossing of everything under the sun....and so many mutations of strains....you can find some sativa's that grow more dense and short like indica's would.
  • Alexis
    it could just be that in general, sativa dom plants trichomes are more spread out, less densely clustered. Or it could be related to the exact specific overall profile of compounds, which makes Indica and Sativa what they are.

We are still to get anywhere near the bottom of this in general regarding indica and sativa definitions/ classification and determining factors etc.

So gaining a better understanding and insight of that will surely inevitably "yield" lol new information and light as to why indica strains tend to yield more heavily when pressed into rosin.
  • LabPong
    Well....there are several factors.

Genetics and strain are the first major component. Then super important is the growing attributes...

There are several things in the growing process that can help....or hurt the plants ability to produce amount of oils from pressing.

Growing medium and feeding.....type of lights.......and how the lights are used. Basically you can quickly loose press result abilities when the grow process suffers problems...or basically not grow well to potential. This can be from so many factors that are relevant to indoor/outdoor....environment and the like. IE....growing cannabis to its full potential is not easy....but most can pull it off 70% of ability of strain I would think...I'm talking about home growers with the right tools and a moderate time of experience.

That said.....there are tons of new strains and you can always find different pheno's in same strains...and those are potentials as well.
  • Gman
    The latest goodness. This literally won the Kharma cup.

6* Blue God Bubble pressed lightly into the best rosin ever created. It was so full melt that it was going through the filter just via gravity....

https://imgur.com/nmcDSBD
  • Azn2101
    Hey guys, I was wondering if anyone could recommend a good video about Rosin?

Not so much about making it as much as a general oversight of the concentrate to help my cousin better understand the possibilities that can stem from Rosin and how it's so different from most (if not all) other concentrates. This seems like something that I'd want someone around who'd be just as interested in the process as the end result.

I noticed the DW6000 doesnt have an up/down buttons and only a Press/Release buttons. How would I go about doing a "soft pre-press" without throwing all the weight of the unit into the material with the DW6000 or is that where pre press moulds come in?

Sorry If I'm missing an aspect/feature of the unit that's like blatantly obvious lol.
  • Gman
    You'd have to watch podcasts for that. Bubbleman has done a TON of them on rosin, so it would be difficult to know where to start. The key here is, it's just another extraction method, that's mush easier and more safe than alcohol or hydrocarbon extractions.
1234Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet