• Ctipp22
    I saw one called "DABPRESS"
  • LabPong
    Yes dabpress are nice....I like some of their units....several choices below $500
  • Ctipp22
    Im looking at the one for 469
  • Alexis
    Im selling my 6 T bottlejack Dabpress for £450 to a friend this friday hooray! Good riddance at last and nearly all my money back. :strong:
  • Pud
    that’s the model I have.. super simple.. but you also need the hand pump. Dabpress model handpump is additional $139.. you need the gauge if you decide to look on eBay since very few on Ebay have the gauge included.
  • Alexis
    Yeah @Ctipp22 Dabpress is top notch. Free wordwide shipping, marked down custons value for us UK ers (no issue to US of course under $800).

For UK dwellers, Dabpress is by far the cheapest, still very high quality press. The maker is as thorough and committed as he can be to rigorously testing the product and make sure it is is durable and dependable.
  • EconMan
    A 3 to 6 ton press with 3x5 plates would be more than enough. And I would not spend a dime over $500 for it!LabPong

Agreed, in spirit.
    But "red queen" problems. :nerd:
    When you get a press you get to make rosin. As @Gman has argued repeatedly, "scope creep" is a bitch in Rosin presses. I got my M800 and loved it (still do) but rather quickly started growing tired of the batch size limitation. Indeed I broke it trying to do more with it than it can (Dulytek fixed it on their dime). Friends would stop by with a 1/4 pound wanting me to press it for them -- that grew old -- so I would loan it to them. Then I would have to go get my press from whoever when I wanted to press myself. lol. Finally one day I snapped and bought the DW600 ONLY because I like Dulytek's CS. They bought a life-long customer with the surprisingly positive way they treated me. I didn't even buy it through them, I bought it on ebay. They fixed it even though I was truthful and told them my dumb ass was stepping on the handle trying to make a .8T press act like a 2t. Lesson learned.

I would raise the money to $1000. As you know, my first was $230 (now M800's are $199 !!!) and I STILL use it. But I soon found I wanted larger batch sizes and more automation. I think the DW6000's now are around $800. I like it because of my situation a "dabpress" style setup (which on technical variables I believe is superior) isn't practical for me (if you have a dedicated workshop they are especially nice. I can keep my DW6000 in the closet until I want to use it. Set it on a table, plug it in, push a few buttons and It's Rosin time. Then unplug, and putback in the closet.

I think Nugsmasher makes VERY good "personal" units too. I'm not a huge fan of the "mini" (think the M800 is about the same and cheaper) but I am rather impressed with the regular Nugsmasher *the ~$800 one. A friend has one and I REALLY liked it. If fact, I liked it so much I plan to pick up a used one sometime. I can't even say I like my DW6000 more (about the same price)... they are just different. The DW is all electric and automates more... pros and cons in this -- whereas the Nugsmasher has considerably more power with a significantly larger squish area, and even though it is hydraulic the taptic feedback received from pumping the handle is enjoyable. The electric takes that part of the experience away. It is no nonsense. Turn me on, make some rosin, and turn me off. Don't touch me or get too physical with me. :joke:
  • Baron23
    good luck getting those kind of yields consistently from any press.
  • Gman
    Exactly, only select strains press above above 22% on a consistent basis. Most will press out between 12-18% so I generally expect about 4-5 grams from an ounce. Sometimes you get 6, sometimes only 3. It's a crap shoot but once you test a strain, it's generally consistent.
  • EconMan
    Agreed Baron. From any press. Yields are so NOT a function of the press used.
  • Ctipp22
    This is all about the flower you use. Oil rich strains. Top shelf flower will give you much higher yields. Also its the timing and temp in which you press it. My buddy presses with consistent high yields. 20-30% pretty consistently.
  • EconMan
    This is all about the flower you use. Top shelf flower will give you much higher yields.Ctipp22
    Agreed!

Also its the timing and temp in which you press it.Ctipp22
    Agreed again.
    Yes but this is information and therefore a commodity and is doesn't change between presses.

My buddy presses with consistent high yields. Maybe 20-30% pretty consistentlyCtipp22

I don't believe your buddy obtains consistent 25% yields (I used your midpoint). 30% is pretty much the theoretical maximum -- if all variables are ideal (rare). If he says that then IMO he's either bullshitting or struggles in math. In hundreds of squishes my highest return was about 28% and that is only because I over squished and heated it. It was not good rosin. learned my lesson and stopped stressing over yields.

Usually, independent of press, I get around 14-20% depending on flower. All things being equal, if I use a micron bag (as usual) yield declines even further. Again, which rosin press that is used is insignificant.

IMO, in proper rosin pressing, yield is not the object. Barely a consideration (if you like rosin). Quality is the object. And by definition, the higher quality of rosin desired, the lower the yield on it to be expected. It is a metaphysically certain tradeoff.

So when choosing a press, put yields out of your mind. Get the one you will enjoy using. Because what is significantly different between presses is the mechanics of how they are operated. How easy is it to get the plates opened and closed, manipulate the parchment, the actual pressing, etc?

Get a press you can see yourself using, and enjoy using it. If you have weak arms, perhaps arthritis, then the M800 is a bad option. It will hurt you to use it. These are the variable that matter in press selection.

There is literally no such thing as "highest yield press". It doesn't exist.
  • Pud
    I def agree as I am a newbie presser and was thrilled when I got as good results as others once I found a strain that liked being squished. But I was comfortable using hydraulic hand pump and varying the type flower, time, heat, and pressure to get results that were acceptable and I happened to know someone who has the same press I was thinking of trying/buying. It’s def nice to try before you buy
  • Ctipp22
    Ive seen a press obtain over a gram from one eighth, while I watched. Saw it weighed as well. Maybe he's making it sound better than it is but I do believe he on averages reaches above that 20% mark. Highest was 32% previously. Idk im not huge into it yet but it sure looked like it worked really well! A little larger than most at home types. I have also seen a different press basically do jack shit when pressing even more so... I think my point was to find something that is worthy of really good presses. Sounds like pressing top shelf into rosin may not be the smartest financial decision though. Come to think of it Ive seen outdoor beyond 25% as well.
  • EconMan
    Ive seen a press obtain over a gram from one eighthCtipp22

That is about a 15% yield. (1/7th).

Diminishing returns" hit presses quickly. A M800 is an order of magnitude above a hair-straightener, but my DW6000 (4 times the cost) is NOT an order of magnitude above the M800. It just is easier to use, more automated, and can handle larger squishies. If you're spending $500+ and shopping around you WILL get a GREAT press. :nerd:

Correction (was being annoyed by my phone). You said EIGHTH. Not QUARTER. My bad.

Hence that would be a 28% yield. That would be a spectacular flower input.
  • Ctipp22
    Something is wrong with last post.
  • Gman
    It's possible he just has 3-4 strains that yield 20+. Just don't expect that from all strains.
  • Ctipp22
    I definitely agree with you
  • EconMan
    Something is wrong with last post.Ctipp22

First not used to using my phone to post. Second, right as I pressed (pun intended) send, I felt it read pedantic and worried I was being an asshole. Since I can't delete, I quickly saved a "." and then rewrote it. Making assumptions about your friend expressed the way I did was borderline rude and I apologize if it was taken that way.
  • Ctipp22
    Wouldn't this be 3.5 x 30% = 1.05grams??

Maybe the problem is the calculation on my end. He said he gets about a half gram from a dub, 3.5 -4grams is a full gram
  • EconMan
    Wouldn't this be 3.5 x 30% = 1.05grams??Ctipp22

Just explained. I read QUARTER and you clearly said EIGHTH.

But I am still from missouri. If your friend would like to make a video doing it, showing scale readings before and after.... :joke:
  • Baron23
    and backing out the collection paper weight, yeah?
  • LabPong
    Agreed, in spirit.
    But "red queen" problems. :nerd:
    When you get a press you get to make rosin. As Gman has argued repeatedly, "scope creep" is a bitch in Rosin presses
    EconMan

haaaaa not for me.....I always build in those buffers. I luv flower so much.....hard to take me away from my daily medicating with it....rosin is awesome....but I control my intake with it just for T levels. But I can totally understand the desire to press more than you normally would at some point. I would laugh if my friends asked me to press their Q'pers lol
  • EconMan
    and backing out the collection paper weight, yeah?Baron23

Yes. Scientifically. :nerd:

@Gman got into a flame war with a dude (mostly the other guy's flames).... what whas his name and company..... just talked about it the other day.... anyway you put a torch to the press! :gasp: and he claimed some insane yield like 35% and come to find out he allegedly "packed" his flower with oil so of course a great yield came out. Horrible tech. If he did get a good yield it could not have tasted very good, except when he got the torch just right.

Can't remember drives me crazy

EDIT: Slug. https://slug33.com/
  • Ctipp22
    Didn't buds rosin press get mid twenties on live stream even???
  • EconMan
    Im looking at the one for 469Ctipp22

Unless bought from Mr. RipUoff, you'll get a great press. You could spend triple and not get any better rosin.

Welcome to the club. :nerd:

Didn't buds rosin press get mid twenties on live stream even???Ctipp22

I guess the point I've been trying to make is it is NOT presses that get yields. People and high quality flower do.
  • Baron23
    On the subject of yields, I would like to again address the seeming contradiction between tested THC content of the flower and yield that some people are getting.

I cannot prove it, but it seems reasonable that we are not getting 100% of the THC out of the flower when squished. No way. So, some portion is "other stuff"....wax, lipids, water, and wtf knows what else. How big a portion...dunno....but def something.

If people are getting 30% yields, then IMO their flower must either be well over 30% THC (improbable), they are getting a LOT more "other stuff" out of their squish, or their methodology is flawed.

There is a vid of Bubbleman and a buddy of his squishing...I believe...36% out of a big bag of flower his buddy brought over (strain was Where's my Bike). I would bet that this was VERY freshly cut flower and I suspect a lot of the yield resulted from water being squished out of this very fresh flower and the water taking with it a lot of wax and fats.

I believe that most of us see flower mostly in the 20-25% range. IMO, there is either no way to get 30% yield out of this or if they do, then they are just getting way more "other stuff" along with only a percentage of the THC which really isn't a benefit in my book.

Now, this is probably a very personally defensive line of thinking because....hahaha...yeah, I can't get 30% or anything like it from the very good med flower I get here in MD that is generally 18% - 28%.

If I get high teens to low 20's, I'm very happy...a lot of mine are i the mid-upper teens.

↪EconMan
    Didn't buds rosin press get mid twenties on live stream even???
    Ctipp22

I sort of remember this and sort of remember him not weighing his collection paper and backing it out...but I may well be wrong...I am often! haha
  • Ctipp22
    yeah its definitely more than just THC because its still got 40% or so other elements. it tests out around at 60-70% THC typically, leaving some other juices to do work. Rosin obviously isn't just THC
  • Baron23
    it tests out around at 60-70% THC typicallyCtipp22

You know somebody who has sent their rosin to a lab? Wow.....can't say I know anybody who has done that.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment