• Bud
    My full review of the Volcano Hybrid, hope you like it! :100:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KsruW11TeM

• Baron23
    HI Bud!! Now you know I'm a bit of a traditionalist so I really like your more formal reviews, rather like this one. They are what got me started vaping, brought me to here, and I continue to like that format, content, and presentation.

So, yep...thanks, I really liked this review. :up: :100:

Couple of questions/comments:

1. What did you find out about your BT connection issues? Was is the age of the OS on your phone or?? And I see in the review you had the app on a tablet, maybe? iOS or Android?

2. In your first review...well, sort of review (!! haha)...you were annoyed by the unit cycling the fan as an aural indication (like a hepatic feedback sort of intent). I think Troy chatted that this is controlled by the app. Did you find it and disable it as I noticed it not present in this review (well, that my deaf old ass could hear, at least).

3. Bag replacement.....there is a difference in assembly technique if you want to replace the bag on the valve with the new unit. Looks like some sort of collar to hold the bag on. Have you tried this at all? Good feature or not? Easy to use or not?

4. Bag Material - The crinkly bag doesn't bother me personally, but I know it does others. My question about bag material, however, goes to cost. Turkey bag material....and some people use actual, from the grocery store, roasting bags to save money....is cheap. I would think that some other heat and chemical resistant, food quality material, may well cost more. Would it be worth it to you to spend more $$ to have a silent bag material?

4. I see you used the whip both with and without the fan running. Any preference?

5. I have never handled a Hybrid. I have a Digit. But I hear you on the quality of the orange plastic chamber ring and it being flexible. I believe that it is built the way it is (that is, a ring held off from the chamber by small spokes) to insulate it from what should be a hotter chamber with the conduction. So, two questions: 1) does it indeed stay cool? and; 2) do you think the flexibility might be an improvement as rigid plastic is also brittle plastic and people have had issues with cooling fins, Plenty chamber hold down tabs, Mighty CU tabs, etc snapping off because they are brittle.

6. I hear you about the mechanical switches on the Analog vs the touch sensor type switches which are no doubt surface mounted on the main board or a flex board that also has the display. To me, this is less a reliability issue (as mech switches do indeed generally tend to have lower reliability that touch sensors due to moving parts) than a maintainability/repairability issue. There are YouTube vids and articles out there showing people what part to order and how to replace a broken mechanical switch to fix their Classics. Never going to happen with this touch sensor, IMO. To me, that's the biggie cause shit does break...eventually...always....and there is no way people will be able to repair these touch sensors. Any thoughts

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=comparison+of+mechanical+switch+reliabiliy+versus+touch+screen+reliability

7. My first thought when I heard that S&B were releasing a small incremental improvement version of the Volcano...after the Canopy purchase....was "this is rather expected". That is, this is very low hanging fruit that is quick and easy to pick versus a true R&D effort for a truly new vape. This is how to make a small splash in the market (remembering that S&B hasn't release really anything in years) quickly. But like yourself, I would be terribly disappointing to see them not pursue a true R&D effort leading to a truly new device. We will just have to wait and see. I'm not that disappointed by this hybrid's release and it sort of does fit my experience with corporate product management thinking. But they only get one dip in that particular well from me and I will also throw my hands up if they do the same "small incremental improvements" to their other vapes instead of something truly ground breaking.

8. I'm not clear though, on what you (or me) would really like to see in a true replacement of the Volcano?

- Smaller? Well, yeah except that one of the things I do so much like about the Volcano is that giant ass aluminum heat sink in there that keeps the thing rock solid throughout your session.

- Air pump noise - well, yeah....its a bit annoying, I agree. But what would they do...stuff sound insulation in there? But then things get hot in there (like the heat sink) and people would be questioning material safety, insulation out-gassing, etc. I kind of see a point in not stuffing it full of sound insulation.

- Taste - I get it that both the Classic and the Hybrid would taste pretty much identically. I mean, its the same, rather clean, full convection, vapor path. What would you like to see that may improve the taste?

9. Just a suggestion, may want to add to your comparative review the difference in heat up times (or did I just miss this)

9. Cost - man, I'm with you. I just don't see how they can justify this price increase. My Digit was, I believe, $550, but that came with free overnight shipping, a grinder, and a big carrying bag with foam inserts just for the Volcano. I just don't see justification for the price increase and I have no incentive that I can see for selling my Digit to get a Hybrid. The price increase is a fail, to me.

Thanks for the review. I don't think anybody can touch your formal reviews....they are excellent.
  • ssaucyc515
    Bud I just want to say I really really missed this style of review. It really brings back why I loved to watch you. I prefer these to your live stream reviews for sure. Nice review :)
  • Bad Dog
    Great review bud, glad you gave it a fair shake down before dropping the hammer. It's good to see you getting back to doing what you do best.
  • Law7764
    Loved the review! Please keep them coming, I really enjoyed this style of review. Definitely takes me back to the days I used to see all that good content about all very latest & hottest vaporizers.
    Looks like there’s going to be some things for sale in the classifieds soon. I’m definitely going to get this one!
  • MunicipalBlack
    Awesome review, I really enjoyed it! Especially at the end where you added your personal thoughts because of what the original Volcano meant to you.

I want to see a desktop battle now between the Hybrid, Flowerpot, Evo etc. Your comparison reviews are fantastic too!
  • standingsideways
    Awesome review, really enjoyed this one. When the hat went back and glasses on everything made me LMFAO.
    While this is obviously a awesome device I agree with Bud's point's about 20 years of progress or lack thereof. I don't see this one lasting as long as it's predecessors. Not all progress is actually progressive.
  • evolve
    @Baron23 "8. I'm not clear though, on what you (or me) would really like to see in a true replacement of the Volcano?"

You are not meant to. The point of designers is to wow us and give us a visionary new product, they are meant to do the creating and visionary tasks and then wow us with something new and groundbreaking. Like did Steve Jobs ask his customers if they wanted an I phone? No he just understood what people want better than most people do, the same applies its not up to us to come up with a new set of features we want S and B to implement into a new design, we want them to think for us and give us a product that exceeds any of our expectations and is truly revolutionary and desirable.

Honestly though I don't think they have the individuals in their team to do this, hence why no new S and B vapes have surfaced for years. They will probably release an updated Mighty I think next, as the Mighty is still a very popular portable so why not milk that cash cow.
  • Baron23
    we want them to think for usevolve

hahaha....speak for yourself, friend. LOL
  • evolve
    So you would prefer to do the hours of R and D yourself? Instead of them thinking for us?
  • Baron23
    haha...look, I'm not going to debate you this but I actually think you have an imprecise picture of product development life cycle.

While there are instances of break through products that most people didn't know that they wanted until they were made, they are few and far between.

Asking users for user desire is exactly how the vast majority of product features and characteristics are initially established.

This has nothing to do with R&D and everything to do with user based product requirements which are the base of pretty much all development programs.

And tbh, IMO there really ain't much R in vape R&D. Mostly just D for some development and really mostly its design work.

Have a great day.
  • fatbiker
    @VapeCritic Another honest and through review. This is why I started and have continued to follow and support you. I watched the two live streams leading up to this. I was a bit curious where your review was going. Then half way through you pulled out the classic and spooe from the heart. Spot in! Keep up the good work!
  • Bud
    Wow thank you guys so much!!

I enjoyed making this review because I had a lot to say and it got my emotions stirring which is a good thing for making videos LOL

I was hoping you liked it versus my highly highly edited sub-10-minute reviews, this formula works good for me and since you guys like it too i'll try and stick with it :ok:

There will still be short vids too if I don't have a lot to show or say about a vape, they don't all get me fired up!! :lol:

Thanks again for the love, you guys are da bomb.
  • Bud
    @Baron23 thank you sir for that extremely thorough feedback! I love it, and I'm still writing out my reply! lol
  • Bud
    @Baron23

Ok here we go:

What did you find out about your BT connection issues?Baron23

That I'm an asshole and was typing the serial# wrong into my android phone, that's why it wouldn't connect :roll: In the review video I'm using an ipad with ios

you were annoyed by the unit cycling the fan as an aural indication (like a hepatic feedback sort of intent).Baron23

I turned that off immediately when i finally got the app working lol

there is a difference in assembly technique if you want to replace the bag on the valve with the new unit. Looks like some sort of collar to hold the bag on. Have you tried this at all?Baron23

Haven't tried it because I gotta tell ya, my past experience with changing bag material for any vape wasn't too pleasing, my preference is to use and toss :sweat:

Bag Material - The crinkly bag doesn't bother me personally, but I know it does others ... I would think that some other heat and chemical resistant, food quality material, may well cost more. Would it be worth it to you to spend more $$ to have a silent bag material?Baron23

For $700 I aint payin extra for SHIT, LOL, but yea all i know is that if I was an engineer at S&B the bags would be high up on my list to upgrade

I see you used the whip both with and without the fan running. Any preference?Baron23

I think I'm preferring to use it without the fan on most of the time, I've only been turning on the fan boost for an extra strong hit here and there, but for some reason it's a little weird to me. It sounds silly but the tubing actually vibrates in your mouth, feels pretty weird, and there's a lot of air being pushed through so your lungs fill up super fast

I hear you on the quality of the orange plastic chamber ring and it being flexible ... does it indeed stay cool? and do you think the flexibility might be an improvement as rigid plastic is also brittle plastic and people have had issues with cooling fins, Plenty chamber hold down tabs, Mighty CU tabs, etc snapping off because they are brittle.Baron23

I think if you held one of the new Hybrid chambers in your hand it would make more sense what I'm saying, I'm not really sure if this will end up being a stronger design but it "feels" cheaper in the hand to me. To me the Plenty chamber feels more solid and rigid, I'm a real stickler! LOL

I hear you about the mechanical switches on the Analog vs the touch sensor type switches ... To me, this is less a reliability issue (as mech switches do indeed generally tend to have lower reliability than touch sensors due to moving parts) than a maintainability/repairability issue.Baron23

Totally feel you, being able to replace one inexpensive part if a switch goes out is a nice advantage, but IMO from my personal experience in life, in general, I've had way more technical difficulties with computer-operated and touchscreen devices than any mechanical or analog product.

I rode in a Tesla for the first time yesterday and I was pretty impressed, a lot cooler than I thought, BUT the fact that the entire car is controlled by a big ipad freaks me the fuck out! It would keep me up at night lol

My first thought when I heard that S&B were releasing a small incremental improvement version of the Volcano...after the Canopy purchase....was "this is rather expected". That is, this is very low hanging fruit that is quick and easy to pick versus a true R&D effort for a truly new vape.Baron23

Exactamundo :ok: :cool:

I'm not clear though, on what you (or me) would really like to see in a true replacement of the Volcano?Baron23

I'm putting on my douche hat and sunglasses now... :cool: :rofl:

The Volcano can definitely be made smaller and lighter IMO, it's the same size as the Classic and they're going backwards with the weight, the Hybrid is actually heavier and weighs 11oz more.

Balloon material absolutely must be improved, in both aesthetics and the noise. I'm not sure of what could be used without doing research but that's what they get paid to do!

The fan noise is totally unacceptable, it should be virtually silent after this long! They just said "fuck it, use the same part from the classic", cus I think it's the same exact fan/pump

Then for performance and vapor quality, I haven't given it hours of thought yet but if I did I'm almost certain a way can be figured out to at least make the vapor smoother and less harsh (at the higher temps and/or end of the bowl)

Just a suggestion, may want to add to your comparative review the difference in heat up times (or did I just miss this)Baron23

You're absolutely correct I stupidly didn't mention heat-up times!

Cost - man, I'm with you. I just don't see how they can justify this price increase.Baron23

It's a tough one to swallow, I mean back in 2014 when the Herbalizer came out it was $729 but it was 5 years ago and was way ahead of it's time, brand new company, so S&B really has very few excuses for not being able to keep the price more competitive after all this time

Thanks again for your feedback my man! :strong: :cool:
  • Baron23
    hey, thanks for your replies and I can't argue with any of it. All good, man.

I hope to be around one some day soon and check out that new chamber. I always liked the old easy valve chambers....felt like old Bakelite but I know it isn't. But it is solid stuff and it would have been nice if they adapted that design somehow.
  • Baron23
    I was lent a Volcano Hybrid to try out and here are my impressions.

TL;DR – I love the added conduction…it works…and I love the whip. I think the Hybrid would have been a great replacement for the Digit at the same price as the Digit. But sadly, that’s not the case.

1. Unboxing – fuggedaboutit. If I have to look at another unboxing vid I will scream. It comes boxed very nicely by S&B. What else do you want to know

2. What you Get – The Volcano, power cord, four bags, a whip, the chamber, some replacement screens, o-rings, and air filters.

3. Construction and Material Quality – this is still an S&B Volcano….it’s built like a brick outhouse. It feels like the very same construction as all other Volcanos. That is, professional and well done. Like all Volcanos, if you shake it you can hear the air pump bang around a bit…this is on purpose, I believe. Apparently its shock mounted and given some room to flex about rather than break. There are few areas of note regarding construction and material quality:

• a. Power Cord - the Hybrid comes with a removable power cord. This is welcomed as it makes putting the dang thing away a bit easier and neater. However, the OG, permanently attached power cords were very heavy duty with what feels like a lot of copper in there. Good and heavy provokes confidence IMO, but it also kinked over time (well mine did) and it is fairly unruly to store away. The new cord is much more like a heavy duty lamp cord. So far, no issues but just something to note.
    • b. Whip Material - not sure WTF this is made of. If its silicone then it feels different to the hand that all other silicone tubing I have handled. On the other hand, it does not pick up dust and lint like almost all other silicone tubing I have handled. No smell but I’m not very sensitive to that stuff.
    • c. Chamber rings – Ok, they are plastic. And, it is a ring held off from the central chamber portion by plastic spokes. It feels very light weight, however, it didn’t feel at all flimsy to me and it did the intended job of keeping heat away from your fingers. With the Hybrid’s added conduction component, the core of the oven gets really dang hot. No way that the old design would work…that stuff would be scorching. So, while not feeling heavy duty, does it need to be heavy duty? And, it certainly did its job of making handling of the oven safe and cool.
    • d. Touch senor buttons – I’m generally ok with these as they are higher reliability components than mechanical switches and can be easily shaped into different configurations and to contour the device. But they do have a down side. I found the switches on the Hybrid to be VERY sensitive. It was real easy to brush the Air button and turn on the pump inadvertently. Also, mechanical switches can be often replaced by the home DIY person. No so with touch sensor switches. Finally, there is little to no tactile feedback which is an objection I have to my touch screen infected dashboard of my car! LOL

4. Function and Performance

• a. Conduction really works – I have had a Digit for about four years now, I think, and I do love it. However, even though I know that “green” is chlorophyll, it always bothered me to see the standard full convection Volcano Poo greenish AVB. I could easily see the difference in AVB with the added conduction of the Hybrid in the AVB color. AVB color was an even coffee brown and, right or wrong, this makes me feel more confident in having gotten full extraction. Also, the conduction portion was apparent to me at the end of a session. I have long noted that with many/most traditional conduction vapes, that at the end of the session you can get a goodly string of sort of wispy but “hard to just leave in there” kind of draws. I would see this as very apparent with an old Flowermate that I used to have. After pretty much killing the load, I would still get thin draw of visible vapor…a series of them….and I got a few of them at the end of the Hybrid session. Just what I would expect from hybrid convection/conduction.
    • b. Efficiency and Load Size – well, I guess that this part depends on your definition of efficiency. To me, a vape is very efficient if it extracts out and delivers a very high percentage of available cannabinoids, terps, flavonoids, and all the rest. Another way to look at efficiency…probably more commonly used by people…is did I get the effects I want from a fairly small load size. VapCap, MV1, or Grasshopper are examples. Well, the hybrid is a Volcano after all and micro-dosing is nowhere in its lexicon, IMO. Yes, they have a chamber reducer and capsules, but I personally have never felt that they worked very well with the Volcano and believe it works best in the native oven. You can top a smaller load in a Volcano with a liquid pad, but it’s still definitely not a micro-doser to my mind. This Volcano is like others, IMO. It runs best with probably a minimum of .25 g and runs very well with .4 g. But I do view this Hybrid as efficient and view it as more efficient than other versions as I believe it more fully extracts my flower due to the added conduction.
    • c. Taste – I only used the whip….I mean, I have a Digit and the bag system has been out for over 10 years. But the whip was new and I absolutely thought the taste from the whip on the first few hits was way better than bag vapor. I like bags…I’m into medicating and I want it done and done quickly. Thick bags support my use case very well. But, bag vapor tends to taste muddled to me. With the whip, the notes of the strain came out…again in those first few draws (max) as I feel that taste goes away very quickly no matter what vape I use. To me, taste was improved with the whip but its new and clean so that must be taken into account.
    • d. The Whip – I liked it. Manual says to run the air pump for 5 seconds to “prime” the load. I found this to be too long and a bit of a waste of vapor. I ran the fan for just a second or two until I saw vapor coming out of the whip then turned off the air and began drawing. I also used the whip with no blown air priming and it was fine. Taste and not much vapor on the first draw, then plenty of visible vapor on subsequent draws. I also like the fact that the whip is mounted so it rotates. Makes handling it very easy, IMO.

Attachment
    Hybrid Serial Number Label (40K)
  • Baron23
    Part 2

5. The App – ahhh, well…personally I only like apps if ALL the functions of the app are also available directly through controls on the device itself. But, in the case of the Hybrid, there are some settings (like F vs C or turning off the aural notification of running the pump when it reaches temp) that are not available on the device itself. Personally, I believe that some combination of button pushes on the device itself could have also been used as an alternative to the app for these setting type functions.

• a. Loading the app and connecting – the app loaded easily but getting it to connect to BT was a bit baffling. First, you have to load in the serial number of the device into the app. Until this is done, you won’t even see the Hybrid in your phone’s BT list of devices. Now, this is what my serial number label looks like. Please note the fourth character from the right. Does that look like a zero…a zed…to you? Well, it did to me also and we are both wrong! Haha That is, while the label definitely looks like a zero, the app was looking for the letter “O” and the app is confusing in that if you do not get the serial number exactly correct, it doesn’t even give you an “enter” or “continue button. If not in correctly, you can only hit “Cancel”. When entered correctly, it automatically submits the serial number and connects. Small but frustrating, at the time, issue

mgj5mx774d9a3z9x.jpg

• b. Firmware Upgrade – not sure what it improved, but the app did immediately ask me if I wanted to upgrade the firmware, which I did. There was a pretty good display of update progress and it seemed to work out ok.
    • c. Functions – yeah, you can turn on the fan and change temp via the app but why? It’s so easy to do on the device. The app does provide info (firmware rev level, hours of use, that kind of thing….whoopee!) Personally, after a few changes in the Settings area, I just didn’t find the need to use the app again. TBH, same with my MV1’s.

For me, bottom line is that this unit would have been great as a replacement for the Digit AT THE SAME PRICE. Vapor.com and Puffitup are now asking $599 for a Digit and all you get extra is a cheap ass grinder. I'm pretty sure that 4 years ago my Digit was $550 or so from Vapor Nation (with Vape Critic code maybe?) and they threw in free overnight shipping and a big ballistic nylon case made for the 'Cano. IMO, this would be a fair deal/pricefor the Hybrid.

If you don’t have a Volcano and want one, I suggest the Hybrid but feel certain that the price will come down a bit with time. Cream City Vapes offers a pretty good (20% maybe?) discount on the Hybrid and reports on transactions with them that I have seen are all positive while getting the price down to something a bit more reasonable.

If you have a Volcano, as I do, it’s hard to see the need to upgrade to the Hybrid unless you got a good price for your used Volcano or whips are REALLY important to you.

I’m sure I have forgotten something but these are my initial views.
  • Baron23
    Oh, also...I didn't use the "work flow" function of the app insofar as based on my own investigation of available data leads me to firmly think that selective extraction by temp control is not really feasible and it seems to me that work flow is only applicable to the bag anyway.

It just looks like a gimmick to me.
  • SouthboundPachyderm
    thanks for the great write up!
  • John Cocktostone
    very nice. I want to try one but worry it will be a "cougher" for me. No matter the temp or grind, I found volcano dry and harsh.. even with water
  • Baron23
    Note: I think I have the bit about needing the app to change C to F maybe wrong.

I think I did it by pressing + and - buttons at the same time.

If I recall correctly, this is how it’s done on my Digi also.
  • Baron23
    hi John - that’s such an individual thing that I can’t comment except to say that if other Volcano versions made you cough a lot, then so will the Hybrid.
  • LAWTHEONE
    Awesome review as usual! Cream City just provided tracking this afternoon for my Hybrid purchase. Super excited to get it for $140 off!
  • Baron23
    Outstanding. I have not done any business yet with Cream City but they seem to be killing it on price and CS from reports that I have read.

For $560, well....that makes a big difference to me versus $700 which I think is over the top and a bit of gouging by S&B and Canopy. $560 is reasonably where you can get a Digit and is a pretty good price, IMO.

What did you use for a discount code? Where did you find the code, please?

I will be very interested to see if you views of it and mine match up or differ. Please do come and tell us, yeah?
  • LAWTHEONE
    @Baron23
    I went to their site and they’re offering 20% off with the same code (CELERITY) with several different vapes.
  • Terpenetime
    @Baron23 great review, thank you :100:
  • Baron23
    You are quite welcome, my friend.
  • Baron23
    Apparently its shock mounted and given some room to flex about rather than break.Baron23

Another thought....this shock mounting...soft mounting...of the pump is probably also to isolate the pump vibration from the rest of the device. Again, my Digit is the same and I presume the Classic also but have never used/handled one.
  • peteathome
    One element I'd like to have you guys to try and report on: The new heater is powerful enough that you can change the temperature on the fly while filling the bag. I've read a couple of other reviewers who use the app and workflow function to take advantage of this to make a "superbag". The workflow starts the machine at 349 degrees F and pumps for 6 seconds to extract the terpenoids, then raises the temp to 369, pumps for 5 seconds to get the easiest cannabinoids, and continues to step this way up to 424, completely filling the bag and depleting the load at the same time. They report an extremely tasty, dense and potent bag doing this.
  • ShayWhiteGrow
    n6hl1jjm3p0wj91m.jpeg
    Happy Halloween! Cheers!
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal