• Dr green thumb
    This question has come up before and I am starting this thread so we can decide which way to heat your concentrate is best and I'd like to hear any special tips or tricks you use to achieve the best results.

Should Bud do a video trying out these tips and suggestions?
    1. Which method do you prefer (14 votes)
        Torch?
        29%
        Electric?
        71%
  • Tyedyesamuraiguy
    im very mood dependent, i like both whenever the mood strikes.
  • EconMan
    I like the torch because I'm a control freak on dabs. I like being able to apply heat to a specific area of the banger. The right torch (IMO for cold starts too many people use too big of a torch) facilitates "feeling" your way through your dab... applying and withdrawing heat on-demand in real time.

The negative of course is a bit of expertise must be developed and the cost of this is a few imperfect dabs as data points of learning.
  • LabPong
    Both.....there are different effects and power of using different concentrate consumption ways and devices. Just like what is better for vaping flower.......electric or butane? Both as there is no one BEST way for everyone! There are just many choices that fit you personally.
  • EconMan

The truth is that I am not competent enough on coils to make a truly objective choice. Often we love what we are used to, how we did it when we started. I started with a torch. And the several times I've used a coil, it was someone else's -- their turf, their system -- which changes how you experience a thing.

It is why I am going to et one if only to gain the experience. :nerd:
  • The Rogue Wax Works
    The truth is that I am not competent enough on coilsEconMan

I have a hard time getting a good hit out of any coil compared to a banger
  • EconMan
    I have a hard time getting a good hit out of any coil compared to a bangerThe Rogue Wax Works

Actually, I was referring to a banger "coil" that wraps around the banger (some have bottom coils I think) to heat it.

Or did you mean, "...compared to a torch"?
  • The Rogue Wax Works
    @EconMan I may have misunderstood the question. I was thinking torch on a banger v coil atomizer like a Sai.
  • Bad Dog
    I'm up in the air, for simplicity and ease of use my Ditanium is the winner. I turn it on in the morning and it's ready all day at the drop of a hat, can do as big or small dab as the mood strikes, as strong or weak depending on temperature. However I do enjoy the slightly better flavour of a cold start dab in my banger. My Ditanium is still new to me so I am enjoying just playing around with it, for me right now in this moment I think the old adage rings true " give people a big enough slice of cake and the won't complain as much about the quality "
  • Baron23
    So, they call them "axial coils". These are the barrel coils that continue and form a flat coil type bottom to fully cup the banger.

I have the same quartz banger with barrel coil and one with axial. With the axial, you need to up your set point as they really can't be fitted snugly like a barrel coil.

On the other hand, if you don't fit your barrel coil at all, it may well be as loose as an axial.

I don't find much difference. Some worry that the bottom of the axial coil will drive 'trates up the side of the banger more than a barrel. Perhaps if you do really large dabs, I do not so I have not seen this issue.

If was to start again, I would again go for a well fitted (but not too tight) barrel coil but many favor the axial.

And Shane at 170coils is indeed your man and he will very honestly discuss pro/con.
  • Dr green thumb

I'm comparing all electric forms from mod atomizers to coil wrapped bangers. I'm very open to a new setup or idea to try.
  • LabPong
    Dr.....what vapes and methods (pads) are you using to do trates right now?
  • Pud
    I’m same as you. Only have used electric latest being SAI TAF and was thinking of get a dcup or tsunami whenever that is out

@VapeCritic ... love a live stream on this topic for sure. Trust your experience and judgement in addition to everyone else here with pros and cons I may not have considered... before getting too invested one way or the other
  • Baron23
    hahaha....this was me after my last attempt to use a torch to do drugs....in the 80's. I'll say no more except that I'm def an electric guy now! haha

maxresdefault.jpg
  • PelicanWarlord
    I have one core style banger I can get to work pretty well, thanks to Troy's video of the Rio, then along with Econ's video of torching sides of the round bottom banger with the splash guard, made me realize my torching was very wrong.
  • LabPong
    If was to start again, I would again go for a well fitted (but not too tight) barrel coil but many favor the axial.

And Shane at 170coils is indeed your man and he will very honestly discuss pro/con.
    Baron23

If I was to setup a coil banger....that is what I would do.....710 barrel coil setup with an Auber 300.

hahaha....this was me after my last attempt to use a torch to do drugs....in the 80's. I'll say no more except that I'm def an electric guy now! hahaBaron23

haaaa I miss fire marshall bill.

I'm mostly electric too...but I do love torching my Elev8r with boro heater....there is no replacement for the best dry herb vape.... for me. :victory:
  • Pud
    is the Auber 200 vs Auber 300 basically only difference is no auto shut off for half the price and some cosmetic differences? or is there more to it? any idea or experience with the 200?
  • LabPong
    ↪LabPong
    is the Auber 200 vs Auber 300 basically only difference is no auto shut off for half the price and some cosmetic differences? or is there more to it? any idea or experience with the 200?
    Pud

I do not have any experience with the 200 unit....but I also see it has been lowered in price...probably because of low sales I would think. It is rated at 100W....so it will get the job done no problem....but with less bells and whistles.
  • Pud
    the $58 is definitely what got my attention while still having the round knob for adjustment
  • LabPong
    ↪LabPong
    the $58 is definitely what got my attention while still having the round knob for adjustment
    Pud

If you want to save some coin...go for it! Auber is solid stuff and are here in USA for service if ever needed.
  • EconMan
    Econ's video of torching the round bottom banger with the splash guardPelicanWarlord

I'm a torch man. :nerd:
    I just can't find a better way to take a tastier more efficient hit. No oil hiding in seams and corners.... and total control of where and when to apply heat.

That said, I believe for cold starts a "super torch' is a net negative. For high-temp dabs using "core reactors, terp slurpers, etc., they are essential. Use a smaller "adjustable" torch that really does have significant differences between on and off. I use this: "Special Blue". $20.
    mD6Ok2uqiC1eNFzgINPOh8K7FMg784QgF-vyE1Kz2udol14mYnsKKlv2N7m0vmA6JhbMGoxaRIhWsLjYTSW0ndVYwufR_8AEKXUxm7VS6AZF2egXj9Cy1WihzGPSTb_s1Bzda_FiCU4YfxzlQir-rU86TI-kBEKhkfWoVQdcNsx549ysESE=s800-pd-e365-rw-pc0xffffff

But I will be buying an e-rig setup just to have it. Such things are not either-or :)

And @Baron, you made me laugh :lol:
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet