• HerbRipper
    Hey guys,

So this place is killer for valuable info.

I want to open up discussion to what you want to see in the “perfect grinder”.

Either things with the Herb Ripper you want to see improved for just crazy off the wall ideas.

I want to come out with another version that will blow your socks off and I got some great ideas. However y’alls input will help immensely!

Gets the juices flowing and let’s start spitballin ideas with each other!

First question, is stainless itself a catch for people?
  • Tyedyesamuraiguy
    @HerbRipper I dont know how big the market is but cnced hard wood series!! :joke:
  • fatbiker
    Stainless is a must for me.
  • HerbRipper
    We can only Machine metal. yeah I want my whole brand built around it, it’s just so hard to make money at it. I am having fun with it though. Got any cool ideas?
  • Pud
    —like the s&b xl herb mill 3-1/2 in/90mm in SS
  • HerbRipper
    unfortunately I cannot make anything over 2-1/2” and make any money. It already costs a ridiculous about to make these. There’s always the option to go over seas but I really don’t want to do that.
  • Taz
    I would like to see a 4piece combo of the XL.
  • HerbRipper
    hey message me. I’ll work something out with ya.
  • Vapster707
    Its so dumb but I hate cleaning out tha thread area's(one of the other popular Grinders on here uses magnets)and a deeper storage area ...
  • mmx
    SS is kind of a must. Swapping the material now, would be a downgrade for sure.

Ive been using Ripper XL since April and after a lot of usage, I found out few details that could be improved. When I get home, I will take some pictures and write it down here.

Its so dumb but I hate cleaning out tha thread area's(one of the other popular Grinders on here uses magnets)and a deeper storage area ...Vapster707

Do you have problems with closing it? My threads get nasty too, but its never been an issue to close it. I love fast thread design, but problem sticks with opening if you dont grind in righty direction. XL also has a nice deep storage area.
  • LabPong
    —like the s&b xl herb mill 3-1/2 in/90mm in SSPud

If you make one like the smaller S&B herb mill......that will be the ticket!

There are a few reasons why I like using the smaller S&B grinder. First off.....separating keif is so 2015! lol So no need to make a 2 piece.

One of the things I like about using the little orange grinder.....it is fast and easy to use....and then clean out with a brush. One of the reasons why it is fast to brush out compared to other grinders...is the height of the grinder teeth. They are much shorter and also pyramid shaped which allow you to brush it out because you can move the brush (i use S&B boar brushes) around smoothly and easily. Normal grinder teeth tend to grab the brush more as they are taller and create a narrow path for brushing.

Also with the shorter and pyramid shaped teeth....it allows for smoother grinding and the ability to feel stems or seeds before totally compressing and turning. With a metal grinder that has a deeper pocket on both sides of the cutting plates....you cant really feel much when you first start twisting...and then you feel the stem or seed crack/snap.

This is why I always tend to grab my S&B even over my BC diamond grinder....because using the S&B is faster and much easier to deal with.

So if you made a SS version of the smaller S&B grinder.....I believe it would be a hit and there is 0 competition for a SS version.
    Make the plate section taller giving more surface area to grip up higher so you don’t unscrew the bottom on the backstroke of grinding. Counter sink the holes on the underside of the plates so the herb falls through more freely.
  • Dr green thumb
    It would have to be larger. Cheap 3 inch grinders are all over amazon. Or a longer new style of grinder that grinds vertically instead of horizontally.
  • fatbiker
    @HerbRipper Please do not outsource overseas.
  • EconMan

That is a very good argument even though I truly hate the S&B grinder. I've used it twice perhaps. :nerd:

It is an economics question much more than a technical question. What do people want? What are they willing and able to pay for? What is the theoretical maximum price an average "enthusiast" would pay for an advanced device that grinds their weed in style?

I don't know. I'm going to pull a number out of my ass -- $200 -- after which I argue demand falls to statistically zero. But what is the "sweet spot"? My guess is around $50, so anything over say $100 is clearly "top-shelf" grinders.

So regardless of whatever awesome ideas are gathered, they need to be implemented at around <$125; else you'll sell entire dozens.

It is like buildings. The constraints now on height are much less technical and very much economic. At some point, the price of adding another floor doubles the cost of the building.
    If you got an order for 1000 grinders, would that be a blessing or a curse? If you don't have true scale, then IMO you're better off operating in the right-tail (top shelf) of the market (low volume / high-margin), but if one is to spend 8 times more than they spent on their amazon rasta chromium shredder your marketing must clearly suggest why it nevertheless may be worth it to them to upgrade.

And then there is "menu science" well-demonstrated by my best friend's wine bar. He has a bottle of $1000 wine in house and clearly ON THE MENU. In five years he has sold zero bottles. But his $400 bottles started selling much faster and more regularly once he put the $1000 bottle on the menu. Pricing psychology. :nerd:
  • LabPong
    I want to hear more why you hate the S&B grinder?
  • Dankpup
    I recently told some people i was smoking with I spent 80 dollars on a grinder(herb ripper) and that was seen as extreme, but they had purchased a new grinder, vibrant aluminum one from a headshop for 30 some bucks. I think over 40 or 50 bucks and youre talking niche group of people like a wine snob or coffee snob. People think you’re spending money to be extravagant.
  • EconMan
    I want to hear more why you hate the S&B grinderLabPong

First, it is plastic. No plastic grinders for me. Second, it grinds too fine -- way too fine for me. Yes, I know one can just not grind as much, but that in itself is a dislike. If I know I want say coarse, I want to use a coarse plate and put in my bud and out comes my stash of vaping weed. Third, it is plastic.
  • Tdog420
    i think the most important thing for you to improve is figureing a way to make the plant material stick less. I ground up just a quarter of some j1, and had to do a wash after. Everything else i really really like w the grinder, but need to figure out how to make it not get gunked up so quick. Also mind you that this j1 i have is insanley sticky.
  • SouthboundPachyderm
    So true. I would use my Ripper much more if it weren't for this.
  • LabPong
    First, it is plastic. No plastic grinders for me. Second, it grinds too fine -- way too fine for me. Yes, I know one can just not grind as much, but that in itself is a dislike. If I know I want say coarse, I want to use a coarse plate and put in my bud and out comes my stash of vaping weed. Third, it is plastic.EconMan

I can understand your point of view....I was thinking the plastic and grind type was your main gripe. Yea...that is why I like the grind type.....sort of bigger fine grind....but pending on how much you turn it back and forth.

I like the small S&B because it grinds perfect for most vapes....plus it is quickly cleaned with a brush and put away....just 2 pieces.....bam bam....done. Though I dump the grinds out on a little glass or ceramic plate and use from there.....it gets covered when not in use....but typically it only stays there for an hour or two.

The extruded sections on the outside make it super easy to grip and handle. That is what I really like too....no slippery smooth sides where you cant feel/grip the middle..top or bottom separately.

If I had the same inner teeth size and spacing...and teeth SHAPE....in metal...that would be great...but it would also need the extruded sections on the outside edges....or even better...rubber grips....or rubber bands around the thing like the NV ones.
  • Baron23
    I have seen a few people post that under examination they have found small orange particles in their ground herb after using the S&B grinder.

HOWEVER, this is complete and utter hearsay as I have never used the one that came with my Volcano and so can't verify or validate these reports.
  • LabPong
    Baron....I have been using a loope to check the teeth on 3 of my S&B grinders.....no sight of any deterioration at all. I have always been worried about that.

I also do small amounts and break up the buds....so I take any stems or seeds out before grinding/turning. But if something is in there....I can feel it instantly when I press the two haves together and barely start to turn. I stop.....check it out and from there.....sometimes it is just a dense or moist section....sometimes just a tiny stem piece.

But I also have a BC grinder as well......but I cant go as fast as I can with the S&B 2 piece....from start to put away. I luv the BC....but it just is harder to brush out effectively as the simple 2 piece grinders.

I can totally believe that some have left particles in their grinded flower.........but how they used the grinder or prep flower.....is a whole notha ting! lol
  • EconMan
    I can understand your point of view....I was thinking the plastic and grind type was your main gripe. Yea...that is why I like the grind type.....sort of bigger fine grind....but pending on how much you turn it back and forth.LabPong

Yeah, but shit, must "technique" be a mandatory variable for everything? lol We tell people all the time they are not "doing it right," to develop breathing, loading, and packing techniques. And in Rosin pressing it's all technique.

So for my grinder, all I want to do is manicure the buds -- no stems no seeds that you don't need -- and then throw them into the grinder. Turn the top until all the little chopped manicured buds are now "fluffy" and have fallen through BIGGASS holes in the grinder plate onto a flower reservoir where I can "pinch" FF2 and "cram" Dyna Omni hits. :heart:
  • LabPong
    Yeah, but shit, must "technique" be a mandatory variable for everything?EconMan

That is what vaping flower to me is in general....haaaaa But I always go at things with the same regard.....feel it out.....tweak it some.....and find what works best for you. Usually anything worth while is not automatic....though some are....just not much with vaping I have found. :wink:
  • EconMan
    Usually anything worth while is not automatic.LabPong

Tell that to my toaster. :nerd:
  • LabPong
    Tell that to my toaster. :nerd:EconMan

I will come over to your house tonight.......only if I can bang on your drums and sound like Stuart Copland!

PS.....I played the sax in school....but my brother was a drummer......I put in many a night listening to rolling stones albums and ripping on his Ludwigs! hehehe :monkey:
  • EconMan

YOU're always welcome. Especially if you bring goodies.

Now that drum argument would have turned me...
    JUST SAY NO! to automatic drums :gasp: :vomit: :vomit: :vomit: :vomit: :vomit: :scream: :fear:
  • LabPong
    Ludwig set from the late 70's....no electrics. 4 piece with h-hat and 2 cymbals.....just pure rock an roll.....from a total ammeter teen with large fantasies of ability...lol

I used to watch my bro get private lessons.....I knew then music was too hard for me....but it was fun during middle and high school. I actually liked being in the marching band...that was fun. My bro was much better...he was in a drum and bugle core for awhile. When I went into the 11th grade.....I had no time for band...just girls, my datsun 280Z, skateboarding, surfing, and other cool stuffs...haaa
  • EconMan

"one time, at band camp..." :heart:
  • MunicipalBlack
    Stainless is the reason I went for the HR so that's a must.

A fully magnetic version would be awesome but I can't think of how you would do it except by adding a center post (like the BCG) or by adding magnets in the outer rim. The first option is one of the things I don't like about the BCG as it gets in the way when loading and reduces storage capacity. The second would decrease the available storage capacity but it would still be easy to load, however the bottom and middle section would have to lock into place or if you turned them by grinding the magnets would misalign and it could accidentally open. Without having some time with either option I can't say which I would prefer more. In the XL this would be less of, or possibly not at all an issue. The 1/4 turn opening is still great, don't get me wrong, but fully magnetic still comes out a smidge ahead.

A little scoop/loading tool would be a nice addition to your lineup. I can't believe how hard of a time I've had finding a scoop that works for me. Delta3dstudios.com has some but I do not like how the end comes to a point. I was using a LEGO shovel which would be ok if the scoop portion was slightly longer, deeper and rounded. The handle should be straight coming off the scoop and slightly longer for better grip. The HR logo in the end would give a nice touch.
    Also at least a 0.1g capacity but unless you were to make multiple sizes probably up to 0.3g to cater from the MV1's to the Mighty's out there. Lastly but most important would be the cost as I have no idea what you could make these for and still turn a profit.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment