• Gloeck79
    Hello everyone, I’m looking for a new portable house vape and I am kinda up in the air. I’m looking at the Ghost, firefly 2+ and splinter. I have the Mighty which I use now but I need something that heats quick no wait can stop when I need to and pick up again. Firefly seems easy to use and clean but Ghost seems a bit better but I had an old firefly and found it to be very warm in hand same with IQ. The splinter seems like the newer type of vapes but is it any different than say a Arizer Solo. Any suggestions on either or perhaps should I wait for something else to come out. Is there anything I should hold out for that’s coming out soon that might be better.

Thanks guys,
    It’s tough choosing one without trying them out so I’m trying to get as much info or research before I choose one.
  • SouthboundPachyderm
    with the current price drop, the MV1 is a great option, but there will be a bit of a learning curve. Its not bad though, and once you figure it out its amazing. The splinter is a good vape as well, the vapor is solid but not as good as the MV1, but it has less learning curve. i have no experience with the ff2+.
  • acstorfer
    I had a Firefly 2, and I have a Ghost MV1. They are both amazing vapes. Both need external chargers. The Firefly definitely needs a second battery, but I believe it comes with it. Both vaporizers could do with a bit of a midsession stir or two for best results.

The Firefly 2 is far easier to load and clean. I’d give taste champion slightly to the Firefly 2. It’s far more portable. It is even better with concentrates. The app is unnecessary once the Firefly is programmed. The negatives are I actually prefer the Ghost MV1 crucibles. I like to have a few preloaded ones around. It’s been a while, but I don’t recall the heat an issue. Additionally it had terrible draw resistance which was the deal breaker for me.

The Ghost MV1 is a pain in the ass to load at first, but once comfortable with it, I prefer it. It does get hot, but it’s supposed to. The heatsink is just doing it’s job. Again, the app is unnecessary once the unit is programmed. It is bulky, but it is perfectly designed to fit in the hand. I “joke” I want a light saber version, but I really do want a light saber version. As far as cleaning, it’s no issue for me, but it is to some. I guess it is actually far more entailed, but I don’t mind it at all. Take apart the heat-sink, put rubber bits aside (occasionally soaking in dish soap and water to get rid of the smell), soak rest in iso, rinse off and dry.
  • RollingStoned
    The firefly is JUNK don’t waste your time. Never liked the ghost, never tried it either, but won’t recommend it either. You already have one of the best portable vapes on the market and has been the best market for the past 5 years. The mighty is so consistent, every single time. And to be honest no other portable will produce massive clouds on each hit.
  • EconMan
    I had a Firefly 2, and I have a Ghost MV1. They are both amazing vapes. Both need external chargers. The Firefly definitely needs a second battery, but I believe it comes with it. Both vaporizers could do with a bit of a midsession stir or two for best results.acstorfer

Great post. I agree with all of it. Both are good vapes. FF2 gets the taste edge but Ghost is certainly more portable with its relatively huge battery.
  • Bad Dog
    If it's going to be a house vape is there any reason you don't want to consider a desktop? There are quite a few good ones that run the gambit from micro dosing, on demand, to heavy hitters. If desktops are off the table I'll recommend my favourite vape a Vapcap by Dynavap. It's a great small dose vape that still kicks like a mule. It has a very reasonable price point for their entry level vape the m. If you're not into torches you can get a induction heater, they come in battery and plug in. Even if you only use it when your battery powered vapes are dead it's still a worthy vape for any collection
  • bulllee
    If desktops are off the table I'll recommend my favourite vape a Vapcap by Dynavap. It's a great small dose vape that still kicks like a mule.Bad Dog

I'm in love with Dynavap. Imo everyone needs at least an M version in their collection. :cool:
  • Gloeck79
    Thanks for the response, yeah I was looking at the learning curve of the Ghost, how hard is it to clean.
  • SouthboundPachyderm
    cleaning is pretty easy. It is important to make sure you put it all back together correctly. Ghost has a couple helpful vids on their youtube channel to help with all this.
  • Gloeck79
    Sound a lot like cleaning the IQ, I like the ease of Firefly, but I like the battery life and the Ghost seems like it got a bit better reviews. I had the old firefly and i remember the battery bubbled and the device got very hot to hold.
  • Gloeck79
    Thanks for your opinion, I do agree I love the Mighty, but sometimes depending where i'm at or who's in the house I need to just take a few puffs leave then maybe come back do a few more. Otherwise I'll use my Mighty when its just me in a room. I do use the Vapexhale which I do like a lot, but that's my desktop one I use. I use the IQ when i need it to be discrete when I'm out. Mighty and ghost too big for that, so i'm looking for something that heats up quick where I need to get in and out...lol.
  • Gloeck79
    Batter life on Ghost heard was great, yeah battery life is important to me. I heard Firefly does like 2-3 sessions then you need to change the batteries.
  • Gloeck79
    I have the Vapexhale which is my desktop, I love that machine, but sometimes I need to just puff quickly then come back so I need one that is on demand no time to heat up. Vapcap is good, but I hate butane or lighters all the time, can be annoying. Very harsh too, my friend has one, its good, just want something with no lighter.
  • Gloeck79
    I agree, just hits so dam harsh and I hate using lighter all the time...lol. But yeah I agree, cheap affordable and does the job.
  • Gloeck79
    Thanks, very helpful, I might pull the trigger on the ghost MV1
  • Bad Dog
    yes the dynavap can be a bit strong but you can mitigate it by heating towards the tip and hitting it with the airport fully open but my favourite way to use the dynavap is with a water piece adapter it's very smooth but I understand the torch isn't for everyone.

If you're looking for something higher end I have interest in the tubo dual by lamart, its a pretty versatile little vape, it can be used as on demand or session, can be used with different fill levels, it's supposed to be quite strong, it has a lot of customization. But there's no telling how long the wait will be while he's sourcing new mods I believe. I don't know a whole lot about it I've only started looking into it myself but I know there are a few users on the forum, if memory serves @SouthboundPachyderm is a tubo user and fan and can correct any misgivings I may have about it. I think it's a nice handcrafted piece with the performance to back it up but I'm willing to wait for it as I'm still saving up money anyway
  • SouthboundPachyderm
    i dont have the dual, nor have i looked into the waitlist as i currently dont have funds for it. But the original Tubo Evic is a beast, for sure. I love being able to run sesh or on demand mode. It has great flavor. My biggest gripe is battery life, but with rechargeable 18650s its not really an issue. The dual also has 2 battery capability which i would think should increase battery life.
  • Bad Dog
    my apologies I had thought you had the dual but I a least got the Lamart connection. It's versatility really floats my boat as well as its styling and water functionality. Correct me if I'm wrong but the Evic also had the whip ability. Did you get the whip with yours and if so was it worth it?
  • SouthboundPachyderm
    i didnt get the whip. I picked mine up used. There are a few pieces i would like to order from lamart, the whip being one, but the international shipping is ridiculous
  • Bad Dog
    If I were to order I think I'd be getting a few extra odds and ends, bent stem, bubble nub stem, wpa, whip. I'm somewhat in the same position as the OP however I'm a few good months away from having enough cash for a new vape, harvest can't come soon enough
  • SouthboundPachyderm
    thats the way to do it. At least then you only have to pay tbe shipping once
  • Bad Dog
    that was my thinking as well, the way I see it I'd rather end up with a stem I don't really use than miss out on something that adds to my experience. I can only hope he is back up and running by the time I save up. Otherwise I'll be turning to my back up vapes
  • EconMan
    Batter life on Ghost heard was great, yeah battery life is important to me. I heard Firefly does like 2-3 sessions then you need to change the batteries.Gloeck79

I've tested the FF2 at room temp. I get twenty full draws (green light to no green light) per battery. I get about two sessions on a full load; hence, ten "sessions".

That said, the MV1 clearly has better battery life, since that is important. The FF2 tastes better and is easier to use, and works much better with concentrates, if that is a value. Again, both great vapes in my view.
  • Gloeck79
    I mean battey life is important but if there are batteries that can easily swap thats fine. I just remember the FireFly 1's battery life had problems, i'm not sure on the FF2+ but i heard battery is better than the first one. Yeah kinda debating the 2 machines. Thanks
  • EconMan

I have ZERO major gripes with mine and I've been a user for some time now. I've never had a insufficient battery issue but I do always have an extra if I really do want to push it's limits (like camping, etc).

Edite:
    BUT, I can totally see how a person who really needed long bona fide portable use could end up disappointed. I never have been, but I understand how someone could have that experience.
  • Pud
    guess I am soon to find out! My ff2+ should be here any day.. yay me!!
  • EconMan
    guess I am soon to find out! My ff2+ should be here any day.. yay me!!Pud

I personally think the "battery problem" is over valued. The FF2 sucks if one is using heavily in a space with no possibility of recharging. If I was in a cabin alone with no other source of electricity for a week, I would not choose a FF2. But since 80-90% of its time is on its charging cradle (even on longer trips in the car), I rarely get to even concern myself with "another battery). Being I also near always have portable battery power near me that if needed can juice my FF2 quickly (and cheaper than a new oem battery - lol) and also my phone and headset.

So I simply don't have FF2 battery problems. But yes, compared to the MV1, in terms of continuous time of operation, the MV1 clearly wins if battery run time is a critical variable.

I think you'll like your FF2. I'm still enjoying and valuing mine a year and a half later.
  • Pud
    yes I’m not concerned in the least... 9 times out 10 I’m sitting in my couch or pricking around the house... it’ll be fine. Now I’d be concerned if the proprietary batteries became unavailable like grasshopper or ghost as that points to a much larger issue
  • acstorfer
    I mean battey life is important but if there are batteries that can easily swap thats fine. I just remember the FireFly 1's battery life had problems, i'm not sure on the FF2+ but i heard battery is better than the first one. Yeah kinda debating the 2 machines. ThanksGloeck79
    When I had my FF2 I had the external charger and the faster plug. With heavy use by the time I would finish one battery the other one would be ready to go.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment