• EconMan

It is not the beginning of the end but it is certainly the end of the beginning. We have a rich history of such mergers and acquisitions, and there is no reason to believe cannabis will be any different.

Canopy may have bought them primarily as a dependable revenue stream with corresponding quick-entry into medical credibility (like ADA toothpaste), not a innovative new product line risking much to disrupt an already volatile and dangerous marketspace.
  • MaritimeJoe

Wow, well put, proper name!
  • Terpenetime
    Big ass company buys a smaller big company.......turns the product into a new product (or changed/updated) which costs them much less to produce and thus has a higher profit margin. Customer gets a "newer" vape and the new owners of the vape company make more without actually designing a new vape.LabPong

+1 well said :100:
  • Baron23
    Gee, I wonder if anyone got theirs for free? HmmMangu

I find this to be gratuitously insulting to Troy and is oblivious to the fact that Bud has also received many free vapes for review.

I just don’t see the necessity of turning this into some sort of “them vs us” type confrontation.
  • Mangu
    that’s fine, I don’t see the point of any “confrontation” either. But it’s funny you mention Troy, because I didn’t. Despite the fact that Bud may (or may not) have received several free vaporizers in the past, I cannot confirm, I don’t typically witness him come out to defend a vaporizer against Troy for voicing an objective criticism of it. Maybe he has, but I’ve never seen it happen. One thing about Troy is that he loves all the vapes, he will tell you to go buy all of them. That’s fine if people don’t care, but Bud here is explaining why there is less value in this new one. I don’t see anything wrong with that, or why people feel the need to shut him up about it.
  • Chronicles22
    I received a Crafty+ this past week. I already have a mighty and an old crafty, as well as many many other portables. I can say that the crafty+ seems to vape almost identically to the OG crafty and the mighty, but I did buy the OG crafty as a portable mighty hoping that it would fulfill that niche. That said, the lack of battery life on the OG stopped it from ever being my out and about vape and I would generally take my mighty if I’d be out overnight or for a couple of days. The new crafty+ relieves some of this anxiety for me, and for me, myself, and I the improved battery life and beat up time is enough for this device to take that out and about spot for me without so much battery anxiety. Again, the OG crafty is great too and you can always bring an external battery pack with you or even just pack another vape just in case.
  • LabPong
    I find this to be gratuitously insulting to Troy and is oblivious to the fact that Bud has also received many free vapes for review.

I just don’t see the necessity of turning this into some sort of “them vs us” type confrontation.
    Baron23

Yes, when you listen to different opinions from users or reviewers....keep in mind that each person will have a different feel, taste, and desire for the vape. They may also use it much differently..and have different expectations and desires. Sure you can get a basic layout and user experience....but then you add the personal attributes listed above....and now everything changes in why they say what they say with their opinions of using the vape.

That said......I like hearing differing opinions so I can get an idea of what that vape is like for that person that normally likes....X and Y aspects of vaping....where another person likes G and H aspects of vaping.
    It also depends on how they use the vape and where they use the vape. Like for me, I have a hard time with not using water when vaping and this limits vapes that I will/can use. I have a sensitive pallet and throat. So when I use a Arizer Air with no water and just draw off the stock stems...it is not a good experience for me. Vapor is harsh and I can not taste the herb well. But as soon as I use the wpa and go through water...everything changes. Same thing when I use a vapcap with no water. But the only ones I can use without water so far are the FF's and the MV1 was marginal on my throat with heat...but taste was good until the 3 hit when it was mostly silicone taste.

So what is "harsh", what is 'very tasty", what is "smooth", ....etc.....are going to be very different things to different people. And then where, when, and how they use the vape will then put things into a more clear prospective as to why people say what they say about different vapes.

So if you have some experience in vaping different types of vapes....you can appreciate this and use it for figuring out what vapes to VAS on.
  • ScubaFlavour

Thanks for the review Bud,
    Will we get an official video review too?
    I did enjoy your live videoreview about the Crafty Minus, totally on point.
    At this point, I think I will replace my old Crafty with another original Crafty, till they are still available in stores.
    We should make S&B hear our voice loud and clear.
    Today I posted a comment on their facebook page, giving them a suggestions to put the filling tool and the other accessories back in the box.
    Any reply? No, they just deleted my comment.
    They deserve a spank, maybe they learn to listen to their customers instead of pulling out this crap.
  • EDub
    I believe he mentioned Troy because from your comment it seemed to imply that you were referring to Troy as he’s the only other reviewer of the Crafty ( +/- take your pick ) with a platform. I inferred this as well. Bottom line is we NEED reviewers like Bud that will be blunt and call ish out for what it is. But we also need to look at this product objectively and I don’t feel that’s the case here, at least not entirely. Personally I think he should wait until he’s better before going on about vapor quality and what not but whatever. I learned everything from this Vape Jedi so maybe sickness doesn’t effect him like it would me or any less seasoned Vape user.
  • justjustin
    I don't think a circuit board has to look that different to be improved / optimized? Maybe they used better components, firmware and software to improve the circuits?

I think a brand new old Crafty vs a brand new Crafty+ would be a better comparison because a new model may need a little time to "break in" and produce the same quality vapor as a used unit.
  • Bud
    I don't tell you what you want to hear, I tell you what you need to hear.

IMG_20191112_131843_01.gif
    Attachment
    IMG_20191112_131843_01 (214K)
  • Bud
    If you want to believe it's a new and improved vape you are very free to do so
  • EconMan
    If you want to believe it's a new and improved vape you are very free to do soVapeCritic

Never used a crafty but I trust your judgement. :nerd:

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn’t go away."
    – Philip K. Dick
  • John Cocktostone
    Hopefully we get some innovation in 2020...
  • Gonzo
    Hopefully we get some innovation in 2020...John Cocktostone

Maybe @VapeCritic will rock the vape scene with a portable version of the G43!!
  • oddjobold
    Most anoying for me - its just powered by a 18650. Very easy to make that removable.
  • Ctipp22
    I like my mighty
  • MrGreen
    My theory is that canopy purchased s&b to develop a pod vape system.
  • bulllee
    Where's the Crafty+ manufactured ?
  • Terpenetime
    @bulllee Tuttlingen in Germany, to the south of Stuttgart.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=IVrMtzhVz2U
  • Dankpup
    it looks like they source parts(China) and assemble in Germany?
  • Terpenetime
    @Dankpup quite possibly but I have no specific knowledge I’m afraid. At some point in the video we are told that the Crafty and Mighty heating tubes are manufactured in Tuttlingen, so maybe not?

What’s not in doubt is that the Storz & Bickel HQ is an assembly facility as opposed to a manufacturing facility, although that is the way that most industries work nowadays.
  • Dankpup
    yeah I saw parts bins and they didn’t show circuit boards being made etc so I imagine they order them. $279 for something completely manufactured in Germany would be a hell of a deal. That video was impressive I have to say. I still am so interested why buds unit shipped without the optimized circuit board, it’s weird to even advertise circuit boards in particular, then having these pics circulating .....when people can open the unit and see it’s clearly not different.
  • BobCat
    We have a rich history of such mergers and acquisitions, and there is no reason to believe cannabis will be any different.EconMan

"M&A is a mug’s game, in which typically 70%–90% of acquisitions are abysmal failures." from Harvard Business Review article 2016 https://hbr.org/2016/06/ma-the-one-thing-you-need-to-get-right

M&As aren't one-size fits all. Every deal is unique, and the Success & Failure rates produced are inconsistent, yet it's difficult to find one reputable source that boasts over a 50% 'success' rate for the model. Valeant Pharma was one of my personal nightmares. 2015 $236 a share. 2017 $8.50. $27 a share today- after a revamp and selling of many assets and many of the acquired businesses.

I continue to reiterate Constellation Brands pulls the strings of Canopy which is another factor. CG posted a 2nd Quarter loss of $484 million. https://markets.businessinsider.com/news/stocks/constellation-brands-2q-earnings-stock-price-falls-on-canopy-loss-2019-10-1028575047

I don't see this beginning as a benefit to experienced vaporists such as the forum. I hope I'm wrong. Meanwhile, my 3 plus year old Mighty keeps on ticking.
  • ScubaFlavour
    I'd say, it would be better just getting the Original Crafty and add a glass mouthpiece for the top notch experience.
    Until they release a proper update, at least.

aXaks8X.jpg
  • beezee420
    still better than the tera
  • beezee420
    you have the first crafty? to me its the same as the mighty, just super slow and bad battery life/
  • Mangu
    If we don’t buy this new crafty and get some money in their (S&B aka Canopy aka Constellation....the board of whom most are probably not bud or vape enthusiasts) pockets then there might not be a newer Crafty to look forward to :lol:
  • acstorfer
    On a good note Planet of the Vapes is selling the original Crafty for 30% off ($195.30).
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment