• Gonzo
    Just saw this on their site. Looks like a fire has caused issues. Hope no one has one in for warranty repair.

jvi22iull6lgt5vg.jpg
  • Rudis21
    Damn. I was really considering this device on black friday if they had a deal.
  • Terpenetime
    Hope no one has one in for warranty repair.Gonzo
    Well there’s little doubt that quite a lot of people had! :fear:

“These conditions resulted in the destruction of our custom equipment, completed inventory, warranty units, and untold numbers of in-progress parts”

You can’t help but feel sorry for Hopper Labs. Just when they thought they could see the light at the end of the tunnel, it turned out to be nothing more than a fire. Lord only knows how long it will take for them to get everything back up and running. They must be absolutely gutted :scream:
  • Gonzo
    I was really considering this device on black friday if they had a deal.Rudis21

Yep, I went to their site to consider the same thing and was very surprised. Hope they are able to recover quickly.
  • UbarDog
    Company in deep water and.....

"Insurance job"

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
  • OhHello
    ^^^
    My first thought!
    I got a local guy selling one , been sitting at $100 asking price, I said $50 and he came back with $60, might just get it for nostalgia now
  • Baron23
    So, they didn’t have an alarm system to incl fire/smoke detectors in a freakin manufacturing bldg?

Who is pissing on who, here. FFS
  • Baron23
    So, I got this email from Hopper:

Hi Baron23,
    Our records indicate that you were the recipient of a new GHB2 battery. Unfortunately due to a recent incident at Hopper Labs, and out of an abundance of caution, we are requiring that all of these batteries be removed from circulation. Read more here. This is a preemptive cautionary step at this time and we will inform you if that changes. Any battery with the following distinguishing marks should be disposed of immediately:

A glossy label with the marks "GHB2" and "Made in China".

To dispose of the battery safely please follow these steps:
    1. Place the battery in a non-flammable material such as sand or kitty litter as soon as possible.
    2. For transport place the battery (one per bag) in a clear plastic bag and take it to your municipal household hazardous waste (HHW) recycling center, or equivalent facility. Do not place them in the trash.
    Once the battery is remade or the safety has been fully re-certified to our satisfaction, we will replace these batteries free of charge. We are sorry that this precautionary step is required, but we do not take chances when it comes to customer safety.

Please contact with any questions.
    — Hopper Labs

And on their website it says (as noted above in post:

Although the fire department has initially determined the cause of the fire to be an electrical issue in the building, out of an abundance of caution we feel that all customers who have received batteries from the newest batch (GHB2 with "Made in China" text on the glossy label) should discontinue use immediately — Hopper Labs

They have to be joking...right? I mean, no batteries available for a very long time, fire was at least initially attributed to building electrical system, if it was a battery fire that should be evident to the fire dept upon investigation. So we are to basically take our GH's....which are useless without good batteries....and just toss them in a drawer.

Hopper Labs....the gift that keeps on giving...sort of like a chronic disease. sigh
  • Pud
    Now they get that new equipment and tooling that they wanted/needed but didn't want the capital expenditure... everything including all the RMA units we're a total loss so customers will be able to be refunded out of insurance... talk about being able to start with a clean slate! I'm sure they'll be back with the product they always wanted and envisioned now that they can focus on the future and not distracted by past failures. And by Barons note about throwing away the latest batteries all units out there are going to be waiting to buy new batteries too!..
  • Baron23
    So, somebody insured them without any fire detection and/or fire suppression equipment? Really?

I'm doubtful about this being a scam and doubtful that insurance will make them whole.

I may well be wrong....I have no crystal ball....but I'm very skeptical about their future.
  • Pud
    this is definitely going to be an interesting story to follow
  • Baron23
    hahaha....you got that right. I just got one of my GHs back...after multiple RMAs it works like new....the other I was about to send in as after multiple RMAs it still runs cold. Glad I didn't.

If I remember correctly, they still had something like a six month backlog on warranty repairs and if I read their notice correctly, these units are now scrap.

Also, did anyone else note this:

" Over the past year, our small core team has been working tirelessly to clear the warranty backlog, finish in-progress accessories, and developthe next version of the Grasshopper which was slated to be released and shipped this December.

What next gen GH? Anyone else hear a single word about this? And it was supposed to ship in Dec...of this year? Like in 45 days max?

WTF?
  • Pud
    hmmmm... very interesting indeed
  • ShayWhiteGrow
    If you guys saw their shop from the outside it looks like just a 1 story building garage sort of shack like thing. Shit shack if you will. Hopefully they’ll make the marker sized gh and stop fucking around
  • BobCat
    So, somebody insured them without any fire detection and/or fire suppression equipment? Really?Baron23

Oy & vey!!! I do not know of ANY city/county/township which allows a commercial building to operate without a fire suppression system in place. Not to mention the the routine inspections.

Thus far, the The Peter Principle has applied to Grasshopper, and they have survived despite their continued ineptitude. (Hyperlink for the youngsters Baron not you nor myself :joke: )
  • Baron23
    (Hyperlink for the youngsters Baron not you nor myself :joke: )BobCat

Ahhhhhhahahahahaha!!

Yep, def no youngster here. LOL
  • Pud
    edit: cart functionality disabled
  • Magicman
    Now Grasshopper is a "Dope Bomb".
  • BestBuds

don't blow your face off
    o1cpvn77w5k8jru6.gif
  • Terpenetime
    Also, did anyone else note this:

"Over the past year, our small core team has been working tirelessly to clear the warranty backlog, finish in-progress accessories, and developthe next version of the Grasshopper which was slated to be released and shipped this December.

What next gen GH? Anyone else hear a single word about this? And it was supposed to ship in Dec...of this year? Like in 45 days max?
    Baron23

To be fair, Hopper Labs did suggest that something was on the way in a recent post on FC...

“5. Well, I cannot disclose what is coming next at this time, but there are other exciting things happening soon.”

http://fuckcombustion.com/threads/the-grasshopper.18482/page-962

Now Grasshopper is a "Dope Bomb"Magicman
    :rofl:
  • justjustin
    Dang, that's bad news. Hope Hopper Labs can bounce back from this asap! I love the Grasshopper!
  • EconMan
    "Insurance job"UbarDog

I admit to thinking that first. :nerd:

Sometimes a company's recovery value exceeds its market value.
  • LabPong
    Sometimes a company's recovery value exceeds its market value.EconMan

Especially in this day and age.......I feel it every day with my business.
  • Bud
    Oh my goodness, this is scary :scream:

lcofm1lpz1kikrez.jpeg
  • UbarDog

........Well
    This is better staged than a well thought out comedy !
  • Justpassedu
    Shoot I got the email and I just got one of the new batteries with the label Made In China they had stated to dispose of. Wouldn't it be nice if they refunded us who just purchased. I do hope they bounce back quickly .
  • EconMan
    Wouldn't it be nice if they refunded us who just purchased. I do hope they bounce back quickly .Justpassedu

This is what drives payment companies like mine crazy. Their "chargebacks" (customers make a dispute with THEIR cc bank) are probably going to go through the roof? and their Merchant Banks who guarantee these sales (NOT the cc issuing bank) are on the hook holding the bag. They WILL get shut down without notice if chargebacks become severe -- as a rule of thumb anything over 2% of sales is a near universal automatic shutdown threshold. Anything over 1% and the merchant bank is watching things closely now.
  • Justpassedu
    So they should automatically be taking the correct step and refunding people if they are sending them emails to throw there batteries out that were just purchased and delivered. But they are not . I am personally not disputing this with my card company but do think they should do the right thing or at least update on when new batteries may arrive.
  • EconMan

To the extent most of their customers are chill about it like you are, then they have a small issue. To the opposite extent, they have a disaster that can end their company. This is precisely what happened to so many CBD merchants. They were already in financial stress, and having their revenue streams cut off brought the hatchet down.
  • Baron23
    Once the battery is remade or the safety has been fully re-certified to our satisfaction, we will replace these batteries free of charge. — Hopper Labs email excerpt

So, this is what they say.

I'm not holding my breath.

Its not at all clear to me that there will ever be a Hopper Labs going forward.

Also, WTF does "fully re-certified to our satisfaction" really mean.

Does this mean that they still have a large inventory of the most recent battery delivery from China (the shiny GHB2 Made in China ones of which I just bought four)?

So, we are to throw ours out, wait for them to "re-certify" these somehow (sample testing?? Which is not absolute...cause its sample testing), and then they will send us more of the same?

I suspect that they are rather shell shocked, needed to get something out quick, and we will see what they say going forward. But right now, some of this is just not making sense to me.
  • EconMan

Yeah, everything you said may very well be exactly what it means. :scream:
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube