• Oscar nunez
    I don't want to use my hybrid anymore until we get word from storz and bickle.
  • ChronicBlaze
    I guess S+B is off for the holidays, still no response...

Too anyone here that owns both a Plenty and this new hybrid volcano, can you tell if the materials are the same?
    I thought all this time the Plenty was a healthy vape, seeing as s+b market their devices to medical patients. Its worrisome to think this aluminium dust has been inhaled by a lot of patients thinking they were using a healthy product.
  • justjustin
    I don't like the idea of potentially inhaling aluminum dust but do we know if the "dust" actually gets airborne when the chamber is sandwiched tightly down?

They could re-deisgn the chamber to solve this issue perhaps...? But I think it needs to be addressed by s&b. I guess cleaning it each time isn't a big deal but does that solve it fully?

I really wish they made their heaters with stainless not aluminum and I think all of their heaters from the Crafty to the Hybrid feature a ceramic cartridge that provides the heat and an aluminum type outer shell around the cartridge to hold the heat and route the air.

The old volcanos didn't have this issue because those Chambers just sat on top like the solid valve chamber or the ez valve chamber that lightly clipped on but if I remember right, there wasnt any direct metal to metal contact? The solid valve chamber was also made of stainless, not sure about the old ez valve chamber but the Hybrid chamber lower portion is alum.
  • BestBuds
    Sometimes it's really tempting for me to get another mighty because I know if I'm in a rush I can pop bud in quickly and go and it will vape it no matter what.. But since I had my first mighty and sold it I have to keep reminding myself of the primary reason I sold it in the first place. It's because I did not like the materials they use. Full stop. Especially at the price they charge. How is it ok for the Davinci IQ to beat the Might in material quality?
  • Spacegrass
    I emailed them about a week ago, because my chamber already broke after a month, and I also see the residue, and haven't heard anything. I also registered my Hybrid over 3-4 weeks ago, and still not put in their system. What in the actual?
  • righteousdude32

This is why I sold or traded all my s&b products. The plastic and aluminum components were a major turn off and to me effected the vapor quality and taste . Just now traded my volcano for a ditanium and my mighty for sticky bricks units. FULL STOP
  • BestBuds
    keep an eye out for my post about the Ditanium hack. :up:
  • righteousdude32

Ya I read something you posted I believe about someone coming up with one. Good deal
  • Smokebuddyvi
    have you heard of anyone getting sick, because I did

My unit is very lightly used as I own i dynavap as well and prefer the dynavap. So over the holiday I left my volcano at home and took my dyna with me as I’ve been staying with a friend. Yesterday I returned home and used they hybrid with my cousin. My cousin had been using my volcano hybrid while I was away and had told me he felt off the day before right after using it but he thought it was duo to his body being overworked and stressed from the holidays. I had not been aware of the recent update in issues with it. So we filled two bags an finished them. As I was inhaling I saw light specks assumed it was just my eyes being weird. 1 minute later I felt like I had taken something else. Not normal. My mind felt very floating. I felt sick. My heart started racing and my face felt numb. Like nothing I’d ever experienced before and I thought I was going to faint. It lasted 4 minutes and then my body was weak and fatigued. My lungs hurt and after I looked into it and discovered the same residue their others were expecting.

Anyone else get sick? I’m not being dramatic either my cousin and I have been smoking along time and it was not the high quality herb
  • Baron23
    I have had a Digit for 4 years now, I think, and now also have had a Hybrid for maybe three months

I do have some thoughts on the hybrid situation. If you think that any of them are in direct response to any of your prior posts, you are wrong. I am not picking up debate points from earlier in this thread, just sharing my POV which you may accept or reject as you see fit. Its all good, right?

1. S&B are incredibly delinquent in making a formal statement explicitly acknowledging and clarifying what appears to be two problems (AL oxide dust from chamber to unit interface and melting of the orange plastic) and outlining their plan and time line to correct. To me, there is absolutely no mitigating factors....they need a public release...and it ain't happened. The update to the manual does not satisfy this requirement, IMO.

2. Someone earlier pointed out that AL oxidizes on the surface almost immediately. This is absolutely true and true of many other metals also. But you can take ANY piece of non-coated AL, swab it with some ISO, and you will get grey residue. If you handle AL bar stock, you will have grey oxide residue on your fingers. If you swab almost any threaded metal to metal surfaces, you will get residue. I offer the Ti GH as an example and all of the things people do to keep these threads metal residue free as the case is part of the electrical path and must be kept pretty dang clean.

NOTE: I double checked and the metal parts in my Digit are SS. I can only assume that S&B went for AL to introduce the bit of conduction element as the heat transfer properties are much better for AL than SS.​

3. After a couple of months of use, I did swab my rings and I did get some grey residue. Not a lot, but there.

4. I have no scratches or galling of the metal as another poster on another board showed was happening to his. Just hasn't happened on mine....maybe yet or maybe just no. Dunno, but no scratches or galling.

5. I myself am not worried about the AL Oxide and I don't see it just blowing into the air stream. Not on my unit. I would certainly NOT want AL particles and slivers from scratching that we saw in that one poster's pics.

6. I have no char or melting of the orange plastic of the chamber. But, I don't use a chamber reducer and it seems, to a degree, to be related to the use of the reducer. In any case, I have no melting plastic at all. While not concerned about the AL oxide residue, particularly, melting plastic in the chamber is a total non-starter for me. Just I don't have any. I take the metal part out and all is good. No discoloration (perhaps yet) or charring (perhaps yet).

7. This may be a tough one to solve assuming that they are keeping the conduction portion of heating. This will require a contact surface between heater and chamber and I can't think of much that will transfer heat as effectively as AL, but I'm not a materials engineer. But even if made of SS, there will be metal to metal contact and hence metal to metal wear and hence some metal particulate creation.

8. It is for each and every one of us to make our own personal health decisions. To some of us, others seem...well, a bit of a hypochondriac. To others of us, some of us seem careless or blase about material issues. We each have to choose what perspective on material exposure we personally want to embrace and not try to convince others (on either side) our our rightness. Its just a personal decision and with that, I do plan to continue to use my Hybrid unless I see some degradation on my unit.

I hope this is helpful, its just my POV, and not an argument in support of S&B who, IMO, did not do their homework to completion before releasing this product. Pressure from Canopy, perhaps (or actually, most likely).
  • Terpenetime
    @Smokebuddyvi you may want to check out https://www.atsdr.cdc.gov/toxfaqs/tf.asp?id=190&tid=34 for some info regarding the toxicity of aluminium.

TLDR:

The average adult in the U.S. eats about 7-9 mg aluminum per day in their food.

‘Exposure to aluminum is usually not harmful, but exposure to high levels can affect your health. Workers who breathe large amounts of aluminum dusts can have lung problems, such as coughing or abnormal chest X-rays. Some workers who breathe aluminum dusts or aluminum fumes have decreased performance in some tests that measure functions of the nervous system.’

Clearly the situation with the Volcano Hybrid needs addressing urgently but I don’t see any evidence to suggest that breathing in aluminium oxide could possibly lead to the symptoms you have outlined within a few minutes of using the device.
  • vlkr
    No issues with the digital right?
  • Baron23
    Nah, I have a Digit and the chamber is SS already and it doesn't have the conduction heating ring either.

BUT, I suspect this will reduce the newly added conduction portion which I rather liked due to much slower thermal transfer by SS.

But that slower heat up, may also resolve issues that some (not I and I have one) have had with charring or melting orange plastic.
  • Dr green thumb

The quality stainless they are using likely has a similar thermal conduction value as the titanium. Only the very high quality stainless has low conduction of heat.
  • Baron23
    You may well be right, as there are very wide array of SS and AL alloys with very different properties.

But in general, AL has an order of magnitude better thermal conductivity that SS.....in general.

This is not an engineering or scientific document, but its somewhat illuminating of the differences, I believe

https://www.metalsupermarkets.com/which-metals-conduct-heat-best/
  • Cannabliss420
    Just ordered it. Does anyone know if they are planning to update the chamber reducer to SS or was their no issue with that insert?
  • Baron23
    Does anyone know if they are planning to update the chamber reducer to SS or was their no issue with that insert?Cannabliss420

I don't think we even know how the ring that goes on the unit itself attaches. A lot is being left to the imagination.
  • upside
    I sent them an email yesterday posing that question. I'll share any information when they respond.
  • Cannabliss420
    @upside@Baron23 Thanks I'm afraid on taking ring off unit, don't want damage unit. Hopefully someone will make a video.
  • Baron23
    So, on another board some of the usual suspects are already have a bad case of the vapors over the limited picture that S&B issued.

In particular, they seem convinced that the SS ring will just loosely "sit" on top of the existing AL ring in the unit.

In fact, we have no frakin idea yet how this mod is to be installed.

They may be right...that it just sits loose on the AL ring. If so, S&B will be appropriately slaughtered for this asininity.

It may be that the SS ring is a snap fit over the AL ring. But we don't know that either

It may be that instructions will tell you to snap off the AL ring (assuming it was a snap fit also) and then snap on the SS ring.

Or it may be something I haven't even thought of.

We just don't know yet so I'm withholding judgement for the moment.
  • Ironsight
    Hi I just ordered the volcano hybrid in supposed to be in next week this concerns me debating on the classic or old digital one this is my first volcano I just dont want to deal with this bs what should I do
  • Ironsight
    Is the the new ss mode going to slow the 45 sec heat up time
  • Baron23
    I doubt seriously if it will slow down the heating of the big ass AL heat sink that is in there.

But it may well slow down the conduction portion of heating the chamber as SS is generally has a much lower thermal transfer rate.

I don't know what to tell you to do. We have not seen how this SS ring is to attach to the device (the chamber bit is clear how it goes in).

Is this a fix for fielded units and future production will have SS rings attached differently? We just don't know.

Personally, while I have a Hybrid, if ordering one new I may well want to wait until I see how these rings play out. Nobody on the boards I frequent has one yet, to my knowledge.

Hope this is somewhat helpful. But in the end, its a decision of yours regarding how much risk you are willing to tolerate.
  • Ironsight
    thx for the reply helps with my decision
  • Oscar nunez
    its just a waiting game at this point. I let go of my hybrid, she is gone, I will miss her, I will purchase another once everything is worked out. the hybrid is having lots of growing pains at the moment.

there is a third issue also, people are seeing actual metal aluminum flakes/chips.
  • ChronicBlaze
    Is S+B still on vacation???

Gotta say, still no response about a health concern I asked about weeks ago....Thas some REALLY shady customer service for such a well respected company. Have they given up?
    I was on the fence about a digi volcano, but if they never answer their existing customers, I'll go somewhere that will...
  • Baron23
    there is a third issue also, people are seeing actual metal aluminum flakes/chips.Oscar nunez

I only know of one person, on FC, who has asserted that they had slivers or chips of AL off of the top ring. Now, I don't know this guy, I really have no desire to insult him, but my impression is that he is an OCD, semi-hysterical at times, snowflake.

Now, with that said, while many...incl myself...have been able to swap a light coating of AL oxide from the heating ring but I have not seen any pics or evidence of actual scratches or galling of that ring except from one fella on FC. There may well be more and I def don't frequent Reddit so my knowledge is indeed limited.

Ok, pics of qtip after swabbing with ISO on AL heater ring. An overview and one under USB microscope I have.

I can't tell a thing from them. I can't distinguish what I'm seeing from airborne dust particles that may have landed on it, small pieces of herb/AVB, crap that may just be in the qtip out of the box, or AL particulants. To me, the dark particles look like herb/AVB but def no slivers, shavings, etc of AL

These pics don't seem useful to me, but perhaps one of you will have a better insight to share???

With that said, yes...I agree that S&B fucked up and need to put SS in there. The usual suspects on the Hybrid forum on FC were going on and one about crappy ring that just sits on top of AL ring.

But, IN FACT, nobody has the repair kit yet and so nobody knows except people who spend a lot of time peering into their own navel and thinking its reality. It may indeed just sit loosely on top of the AL ring and if so, S&B will be properly slaughtered for it. It may be a snap fit over the AL. There may be directions on how to remove the AL ring and replace it with SS. We just don't know yet....but that's rarely a barrier to rampant and unfounded speculation.

Just my take on it and yes, I do own one, still use it, and these pics are from my unit

tj93x8ddx895dyu3.jpg
    qlytuyc5pb7uxfx7.jpg
  • upside
    @Baron23 FWIW, I saw both aluminum oxide and small flecks of aluminum when I swabbed the heating ring on my Hybrid. The ring is scratched just from the friction of opening and closing the heating chamber a few dozen times.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment