• Baron23
    @vlkr @Gman @EconMan

hi vlkr - you offered that you press rosin professionally and that you would be more than willing to share your tips and techniques for best results.

I'm opening this thread for just that discussion and thank you in advance for your time.

I have copied just a couple of other guys I know who are very involved in squishing...just to prime the pump on discussion.

As I said, I have a New Vape Micro 20, 20 ton press with maybe 4 x 7" plates, two heating elements in each plate, and heavy duty BVA hydros.

My challenge with this press is that its really too much for my small personal use case....the challenge being keeping the pressure on the actual puck low enough with so much horse power. I am familiar with how to calculate pressure on puck based on gauge pressure and area of the hydro cylinder.

This press would be much better at squishing 1/2 oz than the few grams I do press, I believe.

I have squished naked buds, flat bags, and bottle tech. I'm no expert at any of this.

I'm generally running at about 210 F measured at the plates and trying like hell to keep pressure on the puck 1,500 psi...or lower. Mostly, I go for a bit lower

For naked buds, I put them in parchment but slip the parchment into a Slick Paper (not Slick Sheet) envelope as it seems to reduce any bleed through (which is from too much frakin pressure, I believe)

I'm in MD and we have a med program. No way around the flower quality. We can't grow so there ain't no cutting it and pressing it right away. Is what it is. I keep my flower in mason jars with 62% Bovedas and keep them in there a while before squishing as every thing in MD is a bit on the dry side by regulation.

This is one of my squishes:

iu7dcl9p1g3owy5y.jpeg

Please, let's start a friendly and respectful discussion on the technical aspects of squishing. I think this would be interesting and valuable.

Cheers
  • Gman
    Oh good idea. I'll post more when I have time. But I press to just under bag breaking pressure so some testing and overshoot breaking will happen. But I just press the same amount at the same temp so I can use the same pressure every time.

I also never press hotter than 190. I find little gained above that since I go slow it has time to escape cool and with little force.
  • LabPong
    I also never press hotter than 190. I find little gained above that since I go slow it has time to escape cool and with little force.Gman

Gman..how long are your press times with decent flower?
  • righteousdude32
    NC squishing here. Everything is dry here so it’s a must to use the boveda packs. I also never press above 190F and usually with 90 micron bags but sometimes I can use the 120 if something decent comes through I don’t press more than 1 1/2 minutes at a time. Bout all I know tbh. Decent yields for what we have here and still learning by a long shot
  • Gman
    Depends, if I go all out right away, 2 minutes, maybe a bit more sometimes. If I do slow bottle tech I'll go 3-3.5 avg but I've gone as long as 4.5 often with no degradation in color.

And this is at 180-185f
  • LabPong

Got it.....I need to get some bags...I have not used anything but folded over parchment paper so far.

I also have not had a chance to test my new Dabpress 6T yet...... I hope to do so soon. Thanks for the info again my friend! :victory:
  • Gman
    oh nice, I'm excited for you. And bags are a must for any substantial amounts imo.
  • fatbiker
    Does anyone else struggle packing bags bottletech style? I almost always blowout when I do finally manage to pack a bag successfully. I use 2x4 bags so the narrow aspect doesn’t help the situation. Any tips you can share would be much appreciated.
  • Gman
    I use fatter bags but you have to remember it's a smaller footprint, so you're going to have more PSI.
  • John Cocktostone
    What makes the rosin too runny and difficult to collect? These were both pressed at 200f, 90 secs on a nugsmasher mini. The darker stuff was the runny stuffbjrviufxkinubhu7.jpg
  • Gman
    sometimes it's just the cultivar or the grow/cure and nothing you can do to avoid it. Humidity can be a huge factor and I find doing low temp you will avoid getting this more often. Slow and low bottle tech has helped me achieve almost instant crumble consistency consistently.
  • John Cocktostone
    I've had the crumble before. It's nice when it does that. I also like a taffy kind of texture
  • Gman
    try pressing more around 180-185 and for a bit longer. Don't max out your pressure right away, let the heat get into the material before you apply the mechanical force. The first 30-34 seconds I'm at about 75% compressed just letting it all heat up. Then every 15 seconds I bring it down to where it's pushing back a lot. After about 2.5 minutes I max it out and hold it for a minute. Done around 3.5min at 185f
  • EconMan
    As a disclaimer I rank myself an "advanced user" NOT an expert. There is still more I don't know :nerd:

I agree with much of what I perceive as @vlkr points with a few exceptions. The pics he posted of his rosin look lovely! I've not squished in those volumes.
    Onto the points. Being "under 5 tons" of absolute pressure is not a metric that is meaningful to me. It is psi at the squish that matters. But other than that comment, I generally agree with his thesis, which if anything like mine, means obsession over yields and the use of too high of heat and pressure makes for bad rosin. The press itself for the individual user is nearly irrelevant. The three most important things in pressing Rosin are Flower, Flower, and Flower. I'll take any bet any day that with my $199 M800 I'll beat ANY Pure Pressure press (I'm so in love!) operated by anyone, if I get to have great weed and they are restrained using dirt weed.

@Baron23 makes a great point not to be missed. The unintended consequence of a POWER press is some personalities will want to use it. I know I would! Hmmm, my rosin came out oily, perhaps if I ramp up the pressure....? In contrast, I rarely over-press with the little 1-ton M800 as it won't do it.

My usual practices.
    Bag flat (bag near the size of the plates -- both presses). I prefer it to BT, but there is NOTHING wrong with BT,
    For most flower I like 160u in most cases. The lowest I go is 120u as I've found it unproductive after that.
    175-185f (at plate surface - not necessarily what the sensor in the plates says -- I use a meat therm to verify).
    I shoot for about 500-600psi -- to me, this is "low pressure. Again, not an expert, but too much pressure theoretically must burst and squeeze stuff you don't want into your Rosin.

Since I just did a quick squish of some new flower just obtained, I'll post the pics and a bit of my thinking.

First, you need good weed. If it is not good weed do something else with it besides squish it.
    soty6u42x63mt8oy.jpg

Do NOT grind (some do?) but break up into little buds relative to the bag size because how you "pack" the bag is important. Too loose and you get air-pockets where the oil will be uncapturable and therefore wasted.
    3ik8mcfoxcyfzfbf.jpg

Again, how you pack is VERY important. I use a dowel to push the mini-buds into the place I want them in the bag. Then I use the dowel to sort of "roll the bag" like I was rolling out dough in the kitchen. I spend more time on this step than any other.
    0s9ud1e9mzg2moqt.jpg

Then I trim the packed bag so that an end can be folded over without excessive uneeded bag fabric. You want the MINIMUM amount of fold-over theoretically possible and STILL not have that end "blow open".
    eu3jl4ab3cwh29jg.jpg

Here is perspective on how much "fold-over I used. Also why I personally like flat bag tech, the rosin when it flows out never touches the plates. I can decide, out of experience, I want to squish longer in the middle of a squish without worrying about burning my already squished rosin.
    ptkprr4k0gliv1dz.jpg

As@Gman described, this is an important part where the goal is to apply pressure gradually. dP/dt > 0 AND dP2/D2t > 0. So the pressure increases over time, and also at an increasing rate. I have one press that automates this part, but this squish was done with the M800 where everything is manual -- even the elbow grease! So on this press I simply take 30 seconds of increasing arm-fueled pressure before getting the plates into "locked" position, then sit back and "listen to the squish" as @Dr green thumbonce taught me.
    9secuk49i9y97muh.jpg

Run One.
    There is strategy here. Go for it all in one run or be incremental. On this press I am incremental. I usually have 2-3 runs. First is high yield and highest quality. Run Two is often still very good but considerably lower yield. Run Three is a very minimal yield (some might say "not worth it") and has been exposed to three times the heat and pressure time, so I usually just dab that on the spot right from the collector.
    opphjle97lq3u557.jpg

Run Two.
    bs4gspfrza6ibvm5.jpg

Run Three.
    Notice I folded the bag in half on this step. I literally got one nice dab from it. Clearly inferior quality from Runs 1 and 2.
    ksnajma8foj49g0k.jpg

NONE of the above is intended to be perceived as "this is how IT is done.." rather "this is how EconMan does it", who in squishing and all extractions, is a student right now more than teacher.
  • LabPong

Don't max out your pressure right away, let the heat get into the material before you apply the mechanical force. The first 30-34 seconds I'm at about 75% compressed just letting it all heat up. Then every 15 seconds I bring it down to where it's pushing back a lot. After about 2.5 minutes I max it out and hold it for a minute. Done around 3.5min at 185f

This info is important and a great base to start pressing from.
  • Baron23
    outstanding. Thank you for taking the time to write that up :up: :100:
  • Hapo
    ...I wondered if this was going to be pontification or inquiry when I opened this thread...

...I will be keeping an eye on this thread...I have not always had great results per se...

...the biggest change I've made is not pressing too hard...

...this makes me wonder why we need a 10 ton press...

..I am goona try the bottle tech next...I did not know what that was before...

...I am thinking to drop the temps a little more as well, but it seems to take longer than some of youse press for to get anything moving...

...I don't think I can hear the squish...:yikes:
  • Baron23
    when I opened this thread.Hapo

You opened this thread? :grin:

I’m half deaf and can’t hear the sizzle either.
  • EconMan
    ...I don't think I can hear the squish...Hapo

As the Moody Blues like to say,
    "To hear the sun, what a thing to believe. It is all around us if we could but perceive." :nerd:

Seek and ye shall find. Listen and you shall hear. And for those with ears, feel it too. Om.

I stick my ear right up to the parchment crevice (being sure not to burn my ear) and you can hear it sizzle if you engineer an environment of quiet and tranquility, and it becomes an additional decision variable of whether to take the timer, cut it short, or prolong the squish.

Re press strength, most all non-professionals in my imagination would be fine with something 3-4 ton. I don't think I've ever gone over 3 tons even?
  • righteousdude32
    Some really dry kids that I was curious about smashing! 190F 2500psi for 1:30 rfg7gf5d1ve7glg16.jpg
  • jhay
    I've noticed moisture content is very important, aids in the wicking out of the rosin .... I've taken some dry stuff, put it in a jar with some bread for 1/2 a day, then squish it and get a lot more product out that way.
  • Baron23
    you can hear it sizzleEconMan

You sure that's not burning hair in your ear! hahah

Just joking.

But I do have significant hearing loss and no, I cannot hear the sizzle. I try to keep my loads to the front of the plates so I can see rosin squishing out and I look for bubbles and when it all slows down.

But nope, I don't hear the sizzle.....or even the sun and I was a big Moody Blues fan.
  • Baron23
    2500psi for 1:30 rrighteousdude32

2500 PSI on a gauge or is this the calculated value of the pressure on the puck itself?

For example, with my 4.37 aq inch hydro cylinder, 2,500 PSI on the pump gauge would be 2,700 PSI a 4 square inch puck (and four square inches is pretty big for my little squishes).

On a three square inch puck....about the size of a small bag in bottle tech, 2,500 on the gauge would be 3,642 PSI on the puck which is blow out territory, I believe. If running bare nugs at that pressure, I end up pressing oil into the parchment. Just too much pressure.

I have been advised to keep pressure on the puck to 1,500 PSI or lower and I'm trying.

Again, I'm a rank amateur at this so if I spout any BS, please be kind in pointing it out.

Cheers
  • LabPong
    But nope, I don't hear the sizzle.....or even the sun and I was a big Moody Blues fan.Baron23

Did you ever find the lost chord?

I searched years for it back in the 80's.......I thought I found it...but it was just Melancholy on Tuesday Afternoon! lol

Vape and listen to any Moody Blues album.........talk about a moving experience..... :sparkle:
  • Baron23
    Its the one fav band that I missed seeing in concert when younger....MUCH younger.

Used to go to concerts all the time...see all the rock bands at the time...but I missed seeing the Blues and I missed seeing Pink Floyd. My loss.

Cheers
  • righteousdude32

That was the pressure on the gage and I forget what pressure it calcs on the bag but that’s normally where I stay and I’ll do a little less pressure if the quality was up. Decent yield though. That material was soooooper dry and I didn’t expect much!
  • Baron23
    Thansk for the reply!!
  • Gman
    It sizzles even at 180f :smile:
  • EconMan
    You sure that's not burning hair in your ear!Baron23

LOL. I'm getting older. I get an occasional hair in my ears now so if they get burned good riddens :razz:
  • EconMan
    I have been advised to keep pressure on the puck to 1,500 PSI or lower and I'm trying.Baron23

I don't speak in terms of dogma, only *my* experience. That is so high to me!
    Assuming you have a 4" diameter BT puck to press, the total area then would be ~12.57in2. I tend to like low pressure pressed for a bit longer at 500psi, but let's say you want 800. Hence, 800*12.57=~10,000lbs or =~ 5 tons of total pressure desired.
  • EconMan
    Did you ever find the lost chord?LabPong

To find it, one must first name it. And they gave it a name, and the name was...... :nerd:
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment