• vlkr
    I have used several manual jack presses and they tend to work well. Just uses a bit more elbow grease.
  • John Cocktostone
    I do 3.5 grams in the nugsmasher.
  • vlkr
    Here is the shop press I use. I will hunt down some plates that come with a pre built PID. https://www.harborfreight.com/12-ton-shop-press-33497.html
  • vlkr
    I should add also that I use 72 micron bags for flower and 25 micron for dry sift and IWE

https://gopurepressure.com/products/72-micron-rosin-bags-hash-rosin
  • Gman
    It's very similar to what I do but I may try pressing even lower than normal.

I've been telling everyone they press too hot for ages. Lol
  • Baron23
    Thank you for coming back and taking the time to present all of this information.

This was far more and more formal than I was expecting but its more then welcomed. Thank you.

I thought your temps of 110 F and the like were a typo and you meant 210 F. I have never heard of another person squishing flower at those low of temps. 180 - 185 F yeah, 110 F, no.

I hope we can have a lively discussion about this.

As for calculating pressure, thanks for the link, but I did indeed know this but appreciate the thought as many do not understand the need to know the hydro cylinder area in order to go from gauge readings to actual pressure on the plates.

But that is where this article stops...at the plates. Now, and thought I may have brought this up before, if you are a commercial manf pressing large amounts with bags approximating your plate size, then this is probably good enough.

But I'm a home user with a New Vape Micro 20 press with 4 x 7 plates and I do NOT press anything that comes close to this area. So, what is important to me is not the pressure on the plates but the pressure on the load and with a load of say 4 square inches (not unusual for a home bottle style or small bag press), the pressure on the load goes up VERY fast with very little pressure shown on the gauge.

The formula is similar, just substitute load area for plate area:

(PSI from Gauge x Jack cylinder area) / area of load = PSI on the Puck

Taking my example of a 4 sq in load (which is indeed almost the same area as my BVA hydro cylinder), then gauge pressure is dang close to PSI on the gauge and its very easy to press right through the parchment, IME, if loaded with too much pressure.

Now, let's take another example, of a load 4" x 7" = 27 square inches.

Now, with 7k on the pressure gauge, I end up with only 1,133 PSI on the load and so yes, for larger size loads, greater pump head pressure is needed.

If you don't disagree with this approach, can you tell us how large in area are your loads and hence what the pressure per square inch is on the actual product....or did I miss this.

I'm looking forward to others also weighing in on this subject and hope it becomes lively (not argumentative...just lively) and informative. I think its a great topic, but I'm geek so there is that. haha
  • vlkr
    I should clarify that when we squish flower it is only if it is extremely good to begin with. I'll attach an image of some flower and rosin made form that flower as an example of what we try to reach quality wise. But we do not squish much flower at all these days, mostly only Ice water extract and dry sift. If you have access to decent buds I would recommend investing in some dry sift screens and sifting your product first before you squish it. This will greatly increase quality and consistency. It's just a race to the top with quality out here and its really hard to meet those standards. If you have product that is in the middle of the quality range which I have squished tons of professionally as well I raise the temps to 145-165F Never over 180F. The problem is destroying the cannabinoids and terpenes which results in darker more sappy product. This is not desirable because its hard to handle with a spatula. My rosin usually comes through the bag and instantly turns into budder. We usually squeeze everything 2 times once for the top shelf concentrates and once for edible or topical products. For the second squish we will squeeze at higher temps 200F-245F. I usually let the press squeeze for about 4-4.5 minutes first squish and then 5-8 minutes second squish. Typical yeilds of top shelf concentrates is 10-15% for flower and 45-70% for Dry Sift and Ice Water Extracts. Yields for THCa or Sauce is around 25-50% and we never use flower as the starting material there, only Dry Sift.

A link to the dry sift screens I use: https://www.bubblebag.com/Dry-Sift/

tydzveuoi1ry3djg.jpg
  • vlkr
    This was the picture that I posted previously and it was done on my home press and the starting material was my homegrown flower.This particular rosin I pressed at 165-175F for 5 minutes. You can tell how it is between shatter and budder. I do not like this consistency anymore because it slowly budders but it isn't a solid substance more of a loose mixture.

es8pi2tpmjem6pxr.jpg
    rnlwcb9uavlmqog3.jpg
  • vlkr
    I max the press out at around 8 tons for flower and 6 tons for dry sift and 5-6 tons for IWE. This usually happens in 3 stages like I listed above but can be split into up to 10 stages if the starting material is 6* IWE or Sift as these start melting at body temp. You can literally melt them with your hands. Attached are some pictures of dry sift I use for this purpose and some freshly squished rosin I pressed out of that sift using 165F almost clear. The problem with this style is that it doesn't stay the same for long and will eventually become cloudy and ugly. So now we make everything into budder.

ftm5kb0lpouoi2n8.jpg
    ejarygn9pgs62az5.jpg
    zqio77d90q5uvda3.jpg
  • vlkr
    Example of the nugs used for the above sift/rosin
    Attachment
    118A7500.CR2 (24M)
  • vlkr
    Woops wrong file format for that last image. Reattached below. But also want to point out this sift is not that clean I would say 3-4* at best. Still comes out clean in the press. 4s11fccy9wmp8631.jpg
  • vlkr
    I wish I had more picture from inside the professional lab but we are not allowed to share those online. We usually aren't even allowed to have our phone out in the lab for security reasons, they don't want a thief to know which wall to break down to get in etc. But I will see if I can share some public images that are on Instagram and let you know.
  • vlkr
    Sorry let me give more information. My home press has 3.5 x 3.5 inch plates. With this I do not use a pressure gauge but just have developed a feel for it over time. At work we have a 10inch x 3inch plate. You can move your product in any size bag to the front middle of the plates and squish any size load. I just fold the parchment to direct the rosin forward and not out the sides. Kinda like the waterfall method. However at work we have a $8k Pikes Peak press and we can preset the pressure for each stage, change the temp for each stage etc. How do you control the pressure on your press? Is it with a dial and air compressor or do you manually use a jack?

The press we use in the professional labs. Yes this is not practical and it is insanely expensive.
    https://gopurepressure.com/products/longs-peak-rosin-press
  • Gman
    I'm actually going to side with vlkr on this. I never press above 185, I've said this a hundred times. It also means I'll go lower. I just hate pressing twice, I'd rather get all I want at 180f and most of the time it'll crumble up for me. I know people who press 140-150 for quality. But they are forced to second press... soo

Like I said before, try your squishes lower, with your press you could try 170f. You will like the results.
  • Baron23
    I wasn't raising an eye at 185. It was 85....no number 1 in front of it, and 110 F, that I just found surprising, is all.

I will def try lower temp...nothing to lose and maybe have some fun. I have gotten auto-buttered rosin off of my press, and I did like it a LOT.
  • Gman
    ya I've never seen that low either enless they are making separated thca. But I know it's possible.
  • John Cocktostone
    I'm heading to the dispensary for some quality goods. So excited to press it low and slow style.
  • Gman
    oh ya!!!. I'm excited for you! Please don't forget to post the results in my rosin of the week thread :)
  • vlkr
    Remember you can always start at a low low temp and ramp up as the press goes. Most presses heat up pretty fast from 145-180F so you won't lose much on smaller batches. Also when I am pressing sub 120F I am pressing things that would oil up at body temp. Meaning hash that would press into oil with my fingers. If I do it for flower I am aiming for a small batch of premo followed by a big batch of food grade. So These temps are used more for a physical separation than a thermal extraction this keeps the THCa intact for when I repress into THCa Terp Sauce.
  • EconMan
    Remember that quality is king. Garbage in = Garbage out. There is no way around it here and you should never press subpar flowers as they would have been better smoked or vaped than pressed and dabbed.vlkr

Thank you for these two especially. Interesting and makes me want to tinker a bit in experimentation.

And my favorite dead horse.

"Remember that quality is king. Garbage in = Garbage out. There is no way around it here and you should never press subpar flowers as they would have been better smoked or vaped than pressed and dabbed."
  • EconMan
    I just hate pressing twiceGman

Yes. Pressing twice does have its negatives and like anything in economics, there are "sweet spots" where the marginal benefits equals the marginal cost.

It's the same with micron bags. I use 160's usually (4 direct flower), and the loss in quality is small (compared to say using 90u bags). If you want better quality rosin, assuming efficiency is present, then it is paid for with lower yields.

Here is an interesting tech from a pro (he sells it from his lab/store)
    I learned much of hydrocarbon extraction from his vids. Fun to watch him press after two years of watching BHO extractions.
    And don't worry, it is much less untidy in this vid! :razz:

The bags stacked on top of each other seems odd. Is this a thing in professional extraction?

• Gman
    I mean, it worked, lol. Doing an ounce in one shot, I just may try this method.
  • Baron23
    HI friend - thanks for all of the info.

I live in Maryland where we are very grateful for our almost two year old med program. But, it is a highly regulated med program and the costs are high compared to CO, OR, etc.

No home grow allowed, only 15 big money grow licenses at the present, and the best flower here runs $55/eighth so I'm a big constrained and doing ice water or really good dry sift doesn't seem reasonable.

The "kief" they sell here is tumble machine made and would not be very good for pressing, in my limited opinion.

I have squished at temp (measured on the plates, not the PID) from 185 to 215 but mostly in that 185-200 range.

My press has a big ass BVA pump with gauge and a BVA hydro cylinder. Problem I have is resolution on the gauge is good for big pressure, but not as precise as I would like for low (under 2k psi) head pressure.

I have been going 30 sec pre-heat and then squishing with increasing pressure over the next 2 minutes. I see you, and I think @gman are going lower temp but longer and more slowly increasing pressure, perhaps.

What I have found with my small loads is that if I put on too much pressure, the rosin (really, the whole frakin puck) is pressed into and through the parchment. I do put my parchment in a Oil Slick slick paper (not the PTFE rolled stuff) burrito envelope which seemed to help a bit but mostly it seemed correlated to too much pressure.....but perhaps that's not too much pressure if I drop the temps.

I was very yield conscious for a while....wondering HTF Bubbleman was getting 30% yields when I was getting mostly mid-teens. I'm not so qty oriented today but my last couple of squishes of Birthday Cake yielded 27% and 22% but I'm sure I also lowered quality a bit. These were at 195 and 200 respectively with 1,500 psi calculated as being "on the load".

So, I still have much to learn but again, its kind of expensive and VERY regulated here so that makes it tough.

TBH, if I had access to larger qty of very good bud at reasonable prices I would be temped to to to Frenchy Canoli and try to learn how he makes those water hash temple balls. Fuck dabbing, I would smoke that stuff!! hahaha I'm an older guy and remember way back in the day when northeast coast cities had a lot of mid-east traditional hashish. Loved that stuff.

I note that we have one processor now selling "rosin".....$50/half gram! Oh dear lord. And another selling "traditional hashish" also for $50/half gram.

The money changers are def in Solomon's Temple here in MD.

Thanks again....I just think this is a cool topic and even more important given recent issues with solvent/CO2 derived cart crap. No problem with that here...all is tested and now they include vit E but nobody was cutting their stuff here with anything but terps so we are clean. But you can't get any cleaner than squished rosin, I think.

Again, thanks and let's hopefully keep this convo going.
  • Gman
    I think you may be pressing too small of an amount for the pressure you use.
  • Baron23
    Yeah, that's my thoughts also.....but, I can also explore lower temps.

Its doesn't take much head pressure on the gauge at all to put a LOT of pressure on a 3 sq in bottle tech puck. Exercising some restraint may well be in order! haha

Thanks for the reply
  • Gman
    what surprises me is you are pushing it into the parchment before blowing out your filters. Perhaps the paper is also to blame.
  • Magicman
    eyxbw7gex0u028k7.jpg
    @Gman
    Give Ju1cebox tips. It's time to squish some blueberry muffin.
  • Gman
    I wish I could but I've never seen it in hand, sorry! However if runs hot like a hair straightener you'll want to let it cool a bit before squishing. You can turn it on during the press if you need a little more heat. But I believe doing such small amounts you can go much shorter time, so like 1 min or so.

Personally I'd do some test runs.
    First do it once following the JB instructions. If you like the results, just do that.

If it seems to run too hot, then try these;
    1. Turning it off before using for 15 seconds.
    2. Turning if off before using but turning it back on half way through.

Also, try the slow method, don't jam it down to full pressure.
  • Baron23
    Reynolds but I ordered some of that 55 lb parchment as I just an running out of current stock.

A lot of that bleed through was w bare nugs.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment