• WillaDog
    Thanks much. Capsules or crucibles are pretty handy, I have to say (fill, pop in, smoke, remove and clean). :)
  • WillaDog
    That's great insight; much appreciated.
  • Kozmickitty
    Ive had a Ghost MV1 for a year or so but it is kinda touchy so it can be frustrating in the middle of the night if that particular crucible isnt packed just right.. i just bought an Arizer Solo II and its great for 4 or 5 good tokes before bed. Then empty and reload and have on bedside table for middle of the night. HOWEVER, i would not be without my trusty Magic Flight. NEVER lets me fown so i always have that ready for middle of the night needs when my pain is bad. Ive had it about 8 years and they replaced it for me once 5 years ago with terrific customer service
  • WillaDog
    Thanks, Kozmickitty, I appreciate the insight there. Never heard of the Launch Box, though; looks interesting.
  • BestBuds
    Ed's TNT log vape for sale on FC
    I know you liked the vape not the price. Not a bad deal imo.
  • boze
    If you're getting started with dry herb vapes I'd recommend starting with the Fury Edge, a small fast session vape that is as idiot proof as the Mighty but has better features and is half the price.

In fact I'd recommend skipping past all the Arizer and S&B portables. They get over recommended because they are the oldest brands and everyone has them already. The Arizer portables have tight draw resistance that hardly anybody mentions when they suggest someone buy one. The BOGO offer from Arizer is just them trying to compete since they haven't brought a new product to market since the Argo.

Once you have experience with a powerful and versatile session vape like the Edge you can investigate on demand convection devices, which have more of a learning curve. For now even a Fury 2 for $110 will change your life. Get the bent glass stem for better flavor and maybe add the WPA later for bigger hits with a small bubbler from dhgate.
  • LabPong
    In fact I'd recommend skipping past all the Arizer and S&B portables.boze

I have used both.....I much prefer the Arizers. But I also only go through water....so take that as the main reason. My air's and argo run circles around the HR vapes for vapor quality.
  • SouthboundPachyderm
    im with lab pong on this one... flavor is better with arizer (there is more draw resistance but its easy to adapt) and S & B is more flavorful AND more potent, than HR. When I had a working Fury 2 I only used it if i was leaving the house. I'm not saying HR doesn't make a nice entry level vape, they do, but it's just that... entry level. Getting rid of all the silicone they use would be a huge step towards improving the HR design.

Edit: My Mighty holds the bedside spot with the Solo 2 as its back up.
  • boze
    The Edge has better vapor quality from the upgraded stainless steel chamber compared to the nichrome of the Fury 2. It also sounds like you're both confusing the vapor quality of the Fury black mouthpiece. I agree that the glass airpath of the stems for the Arizer vapes are good for flavor. That's what I meant by versatility with regard to the Fury Edge. You can use glass stems for flavor at home and the black mouthpiece when you need a pocket vape on the go as opposed to the absurd fanny pack that still comes with the Solo II.

The Edge has USB-c charging while both Arizer and s&b require proprietary chargers. S&B portables all have a plastic airpath, slower heat up, and more limited temps. Heck, the Crafty doesn't even have a screen or buttons to change the temp on the device.
  • SouthboundPachyderm
    correct me if im wrong, but when using the glass pieces with the Edge you still have the silicone in the vapor path since you just stick it in the holder as opposed to directly in the bowl like the Fury2... i can taste that piece, not that HR are the only people guilty of this design flaw. It's the same reason i don't care for Pax, or most of Boundless's stuff. That silicone leaches flavor. When i used the fury i would only use the wpa, because it completely bypassed any and all silicone. I own 20+ vapes and HR has only ever landed on the OK side of the fence for me. I'm not trying to hate on HR, but they haven't reached "Mighty Killer" level IMHO. But different strokes for diifferent folks and all that.
  • boze
    I very much appreciate the civil discourse.

Yes and no: the Edge stems do insert up to that silicone piece around a stainless steel screen while the Fury 2 and Fierce glass insert right into the chamber. And those Fury 2 accessories fit in the Edge so you have a choice between glass honeycomb screens that clog quickly (like everything Arizer) or the updated design with stems that make a seal at the bottom of the accessory attachment.

This is part of my point about the woeful laziness on the part of both S&B and Arizer: the Fury 2 comes out in 2017 and is well-received as a tiny portable with the ability to produce dense bubbler hits or bent stem microdosing at home, both with an all glass airpath, and also be a hiking or going out vape that disappears in the pocket with the black mouthpiece (that does erode flavor for sure).

The big complaint on the Fury 2 was the poor battery life that came along with the small size. One year later in 2018 they introduce the Fierce with a bigger chamber, replaceable batteries, haptic feedback, USB-c charging, and a more elegant looking accessories attachment.

And then last year they drop the Fury Edge for $149, with 44% more battery, USB-c, haptic feedback, a stainless chamber, and the updated accessories attachment (but still compatible with Fury 2 glass without it). The Fierce accessory attachment slid on and off, which wasn't the best design, so they fixed that with the Fury Edge.

Arizer isn't keeping up on any level and that explains the year long BOGO deal. When I got my Solo II it was $239. Now they have to give you a free Air to even justify a $170 price and we're still talking about fanny pack portability with tight draw resistance and honeycomb glass stems that must be removed when not in use. Arizer had all this time and didn't even come up with a dimpled cooling stem on their own.

My suggestion to bypass these dinosaur brands is well-intentioned. The hype and bloated price tags just aren't justified. The teardown for the Solo II on Puffitup blog didn't even find it had an isolated airpath I don't think. How many years would HealthyRips take to address that, ya know?
  • SouthboundPachyderm
    I guess for me as a mostly at home user the size doesn't bother me as much as the vapor quality itself, which IMO is better with the Solo and Mighty. When i do want something more portable i usually rock the Shadow M with 7 fin tip and my portside mini. If i want to be uber stealthy I will pick up a cart (very rare for me). My gf loved the Fury2 so i have to imagine I will end up with the edge at some point (for her) I would love to be proven wrong, but I'm not holding my breathe.
  • bulllee
    I have and use both the Solo 2 and the Edge. The Solo 2 is my got to. Any problems with draw resistance are solved by not packing the stem, same as the Edge. You can't beat the flavor of a Solo 2. The Edge has a flavor unto it's own. Its not bad, but I'm a flavor whore and after a couple sesh with the Edge my lungs feel it. Imo the Edge and the Tera 3 both work better with a wpa. The Edge is more for cloud chasers imo, Solo 2 for taste and flavor. Going on 3 years with the Solo 2 and no issues. The battery life is just frigging awesome, I can vape all day long and not run out. Charges in 45 minutes. so it's charger is proprietary. Big deal. I've had mine for 3 years now. It does what it's suppose to, it's a tasty, and reliably consistent vape that's very economical. I like the Fury 2 and the Edge but there's no comparison in the flavor department. Just my thoughts as every vaporist out there has their own individual tastes and preferences. :yawn:
  • boze
    Thanks man. Yeah, I'm not saying someone shouldn't have one or enjoy it; I'm saying it's not worth buying a Solo II or Air 2 in 2020. For vapor quality and flavor none of the portable session vapes do all that well anyway, Solo II and Mighty included. The Fury Edge has a better form factor, quicker heatup, more modern features, and better versatility (from bong to bedside to the back pocket of your bike jersey) for less money. Sure, glass airpaths are great for flavor, so use glass with your Edge whenever flavor is the priority. Or better yet get an on demand convection vape for flavor and relegate your session vapes to party pass around use. I'm hoping the Tinymight lets me do that with the Edge honestly.

And of course I'm not trying to hate. If I was visiting a friend and all they had was a Solo II I'd be like "Oh cool, there's a reliable vape we can use" and not sweat the myriad shortcomings I listed earlier. Similarly if my friend had a Mighty I wouldn't start complaining about the plastic airpath, the aluminum chamber, the low max temp and the high price for a fifteen year-old design. If the OP could get one for free the dosing capsules would be handy and fun for a bedside vape. But for $349 not so much. I sold mine after a little over a year. I loved the draw resistance and easy clouds but it's still an overpriced weed hog.

Full disclosure, I'm mostly a Splinter or Splinter Z user with an og Brick and some ti vapcaps in co-starring roles. We can talk flavor all day but this isn't the thread for it and session vapes aren't the answer.
  • bulllee
    I have a few on demand vapes, stem pod, Mist vape, Sticky brick jr, ghost mv1 stealth, lots of dynavaps. With the exception of Dynavap with a low temp cap they all loose their flavor after a two rips. But the Edge isn't on demand, and for the money I paid, $150 not that much of a deal when you can get the Solo 2 for $168 that has way better vapor quality than the Edge. The fury 2 and the Edge all taste like Boundless vapes, meh at best for flavor, but great for clouds.
  • Ambush
    E-Nano.
  • WillaDog
    I know you liked the vape not the price. Not a bad deal imo.BestBuds

Thanks, BB. It is a good deal, but has to be cordless for ease of passing back and forth.
  • WillaDog
    Fury 2 for $110boze

Ive had a Ghost MV1 for a year or so but it is kinda touchy so it can be frustrating in the middle of the night if that particular crucible isnt packed just rightKozmickitty

Thanks for that. I finally pulled the trigger and got the MV-1, and it's working pretty well thus far.

I'd still like something more portable.
  • boze
    Well not to keep bumping this up after you made your decision. Hope the MV1 works well for you. They seem to break a lot but also have been getting great customer service.

I'm glad to hear you still want a pocket vape because I was feeling bad for the high word count spent running down Arizer and S&B! Now it turns out to be somewhat relevant since that's the sweet spot for the Fury Edge. It is a session vape though. Look into the Tinymight if you grow to love on demand convection and want something not too implausible for a pocket.
  • WillaDog
    Getting rid of all the silicone they use would be a huge step towards improving the HR design.SouthboundPachyderm

I saw that, SBP, and thought "Why would they use silicone??"
  • WillaDog
    Look into the Tinymight if you grow to love on demand convection and want something not too implausible for a pocket.boze

Cheers. I've made the decision, but I know how I am re: gear (when I wrote music, it was, um, a "problem"!--and now that I know about VAS, I'm likely to fall prey to that syndrome as well. Still, I'm searching for a super cool, super smooth vape; the MV1 is good, but finicky, to be sure. The crucibles require a "Bud-level commitment to detail" that I'm not sure I have, if I'm entirely honest. I'll definitely look at the tinymight; I think a small "bubbler" is it, would be a good small add on, even for the nightstand(?)
  • boze
    In that case at risk of appearing a maven let me recommend a Splinter or even the Splinter ZV2 and V2 combo if you're feeling frisky and that $99 deal is still alive. Splinters don't win at portability but the on demand convection hits are some connoisseur shit. Setup for TC takes extra effort but once configured it's still just press a button and draw. If you ever go that route I can school you or there's an active thread on FC of people giving each other the same sort of mod selection and config advice.
  • Ivan van Ogre

For the beginner that can afford it, agreed. It's all plain for the eye to see. You can build up a good body of knowledge very quickly. The safety factor means the world to me too. As for temps just start at 5:30 and work your way up the temps at your own pace. I'm usually done with a bowl by 7:15 although it has gone all the way up to 8:15 without combustion. i stop earlier so that I never cough AND I get great ABV out of the E-Nano. The spent weed goes directly into capsules and are consumed daily and boy, do they ever work. I've only had the E-Nano about a week so it's still all new but I gotta say it's going extremely well so far.
  • WillaDog
    I missed this post--sorry, Boze. Thanks for the advice!
  • WillaDog
    The spent weed goes directly into capsules and are consumed daily and boy, do they ever work.Ivan van Ogre

No kidding. Does the strain matter (assuming that's a rhetorical question)? What's the effect?
  • boze
    no worries. 30% off at RBT in February just FYI. The code is added automatically
  • Ivan van Ogre

It's probably more about how strong it is to begin with, how far I go with it etc.
  • WillaDog
    Makes sense; thanks much.
  • meeemeee
    Herborizer
  • Xclerk
    I asked myself this last night and figured I'd check. I was thinking putting a small pictire ledge and just put my woodscents but still unsure. I have a nomad on the way thinking this may be it. Especially cause I'm not sure if that bad Boy is leaving the house. I was using a musa 510 but reloading and can near bed isnt for me. I need something simple. That can be preloaded or have capsules ready to go, sized pretty small And as simple a reload I can get. Seems like mi3s will be shipped soon. Just iffy about unregulated near bed. Just getting over a loss due to fire and not taking any risk.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment