• CRVapes
    Hey guys,

Hello to you Mr. Critic - Awesome video Reviews Bro! I watched some multiple times lol
    I gotta say tho, all you reviewers have a telent.... I knew the crafty was the one. It's clear and you made the message loud and clear . but geeezzzz every other vape review I see... It all sounds amazing. I wanted a second vapr but u guys make any vapr sound amazing lol .....

Back on topic: idk if I am going crazy

1 month old crafty or so.
    25 hours of use
    1 minute 40 seconds heat up time to 180

Somehow I would cape at 177 & it would be a nice long session with lots of vapor...
    Now after a few hits. It stops producing vapor, just barely.

If I check bowl, it's still greenish.. Hut if I retry to vape. Nothing happens. I tried different herbs from different dealers lol same result...

So now I had to switch my use after first few hits, I turn it to 200 to get the additional vapor but it wasn't always like this.

Am I crazy ?
  • Flipz
    You can try hitting the power button twice quick if you feel your not getting the same quality hits as first few. It will bump it up to whatever setting you boost set for in app which is 15degrees F (not sure what it is in C at the moment)

For me I use the default temps without a problem but it absolutely can vary by user (Y)
  • Sanzarelli
    My first crafty died about 6 months in, at about 75 hours. Took twice as long to charge and lasted half as long. The vibration also stopped working. It was strange to not have contact with a human at S&B, but the process was still pretty fast and painless.

It seems like the heat that the unit produces has the most effect on the battery. There's not much we can do about that, but could charging too long or too often have more of an effect than it seems? I know it has overcharge protection, but could leaving it charging for long periods of time still have an effect? Could charging it before the battery is dead reduce the battery life?
  • Kaamelott
    You should remove it from your top pick for sure. People are assured to loose 300€ buying this product.
  • iscutwo
    Because of the overheating issues I've been thinkin about lowering the rating of the Crafty and/or removing it from my top picks, what are your thoughts on this?VapeCritic

@VapeCritic: I'd definitely remove it from top picks, at least to replace it with the Mighty, which is a little less convenient because of size but seems to be much more reliable (and for good reason, the dual battery system seems to protect it from the battery damage that plagues the poorly engineered afterthought that was the Crafty). We bought our Crafty primarily based on your recommendation and review (we read lots of others, too, but your reviews were the most helpful). They've replaced it twice for us at no cost, not sure why we haven't been hit with the $75 invoices everyone else is reporting, but I'd never recommend it to anyone.

I don't have anything against S&B, actually just ordered a new Plenty to keep us up while we wait for the latest return on the Crafty. And unlike what others report, the customer service they've given us is excellent. Still, at the end of the day, I'd strongly advise people to steer clear of the Crafty until it starts to actually outlive its warranty period by a reasonable amount of time and has more reasonable repair fees.
  • Baron23
    It is my personal belief that you are exactly right....they tried to quickly downsize a Mighty, reused a lot of the design and parts, but made the design too critical to be reliable and this is probably not only in the battery system but also with regard to heat and its effect on batteries in the smaller Crafty enclosure.

Shame really. I have a Volcano and if I buy another S&B product (and my Volcano is wonderful) it will most likely be either a Mighty or Plenty.
  • Flipz
    I think people sometimes forget he bought the mighty and crafty himself the same day it was available to everyone else. There's no way to predict stuff like this 2+ years later.

As far as what he rates what, why etc... I couldn't tell ya. Even with the issue my original crafty had 2 years ago, I'd still take the crafty over any other portable vape just cause I think it's that good in my opinion. :-|
  • iscutwo
    I think people sometimes forget he bought the mighty and crafty himself the same day it was available to everyone else. There's no way to predict stuff like this 2+ years later.

As far as what he rates what, why etc... I couldn't tell ya. Even with the issue my original crafty had 2 years ago, I'd still take the crafty over any other portable vape just cause I think it's that good in my opinion. :-|
    Flipz

Totally agree about the inability to predict. I was just responding to him asking whether he should adjust the review/rating, which I'd do if it were me. And we really like ours, too, which is why we keep sending it back. That doesn't take away from the problems, it's never even survived its warranty period for us or people we know, and while we've always had it fixed for free others seem to be being charged for it while it is well within warranty and for what would seem very reasonable amounts of use (less than 30 minutes per day for less than one year, within warranty).

The big issue for me is this: The forums on vapecritic are closed (which is how I found this place to begin with), so there's no way for people there who read the original review to see how widespread these down-the-road issues are (and not very far down the road, at that). So at least a mention of the issues would help people make a more informed decision. Owners of multiple vapes, for example, would be less frustrated than those of us who thought we were buying our one vape to rule them all, which is a lot of medical users, and people with less disposable income.
  • Flipz
    I agree and completely understand what your saying. Stay tuned though, I can promise you your opinion hasn't gone unnoticed or taken into consideration. :-O
  • metalmancpa
    I just sent back my Crafty on Wednesday for service. After 12+ months of flawless use averaging 5-6 days (sessions) per week, I started getting over heating issues. SOmetimes the unit would shut off with blue/red blinking lights after I double pressed to raise the temp or one last draw. Many times I could not charge the unit until it cooled down.

I have a Launch Box I'll use in the interim, but am contemplating either getting another vape, or getting the Crafty back and hoping it lasts longer than a year. The vape quality of the Crafty is just so good, I cannot imagine enjoying another vape better.
  • goofyticobrahe
    That stinks. If recent history is any guide, expect Storz to charge somewhere between $75-$99 for "excessive wear and tear" to return unit to original condition. Which is both laughable and pathetic; I suspect somebody will challenge them civilly about it in the future.
  • metalmancpa
    We'll see about any charge for repair as I am in the 2-year warranty window. I would be surprised if they charged me as I have never heard of that in a warranty period, but I will just have to wait and see. I was surprised I had to pay for shipping (no prepaid return label). Of course spending high $$ for a unit to have it fail (like many other users report) is quite frustrating, but if it gets repaired/replaced then I can deal with it for now. I would probably move on down the road if it breaks and there is no warranty coverage. But I will say, after trying several vapes in my opinion the Crafty provides the best quality vape with effortless draw.
  • Flipz
    they will give you a pre-paid shipping label but takes like 3-4 days to get it e-mailed to you. when i sent mine back long ago, i just paid the $5 priority to avoid the extra time.
  • goofyticobrahe
    So if my math is correct, it's been over a week since you sent in your unit to Storz. Have you heard back?
  • metalmancpa
    Got a brand new one in hand in 6 days. I had requested a Mighty upgrade, but somehow that got messed up. But still, a no charge replacement with all the extras, and I'm fine with that. I really LOVE the Crafty, and IF something happens to this new one within the warranty period then maybe then I'll make sure I get a Mighty upgrade. The replacement has the newest firmware (2.10) for which I honestly don't know what version my old one was. At least I had a Launch Box as a backup for the week.
  • goofyticobrahe
    So if I have this straight?

(All USA warranty claims) You got a brand new Crafty after 6 days. Others have been told they will not get a new, replacement unit but may have a repaired or remanufactured unit for $100. Still, others have been told they may "upgrade" to another unit entirely for $100. And yet others have been told that, while still in the 2-year warranty window (and some by more than 1 year), they must pay between $75-$99 (in my anecdotal observations over the past half-year) to "return" their unit to original working condition, due to "excessive wear and tear".

1. You got lucky it would seem
    2. This company is a joke. I wonder if the folks that call the shots in Germany are even aware of the shenanigans the folks in Oakland pull? Should make for some interesting lawsuits.
  • Flipz
    S&B sends a brand new crafty usually to most from what I heard and experienced with them myself. Not sure how they go about everything over there but I did nothing anyone else wouldn't do when sending it in for repair long ago.
  • metalmancpa
    I just went through the process. I emailed and did the online RMA thing. I requested a Mighty upgrade which they said would cost me $59.99, but something got lost in the shuffle. I was told I could still take the upgrade if I sent back the unopened Crafty but I decided to keep it and save the money for now.

Lucky? I have no idea how the others who weren't so "lucky" went through the process? So I had to paid the USPS small box fee to ship the defective unit back, $7 I think. That was it. 6 days later a brand new complete Crafty shows up at my door. My shipment came from Oakland, so based on my experience I would think Germany would be happy with the U.S. service.
  • Aris Naziris
    Hi all, I've also been a victim of the shitty Crafty device and all the problems it does cause, but I want to ask if you all have to pay the shipping expenses for sending the faulty devices back to S&B. By now I have to send my second faulty device back to Germany, meaning I'll have to pay for the second time another 55 euros in the same year and get a coupon for 30 euros for purchases from their online store.......so in order to deal with the warranty issues of S&B I' m being charged 50 euros/year.......I'm scared to think what will happen in five years......in any case I feel like I'm being repeatedly robbed and I keep on falling on this "I don't give a shit " attitude from their customer service.....yes this company is a joke!
  • Saeed
    Ive sent my Crafty back once. The housing cracked where the cooling unit instals.

Since then I bought a Mighty and have had no issues with the unit aside from the display not showing the battery indicator as it did original. It shows the charge level but doesnt have the rectangular outline anymore. Anyone else see this?

If someone can scan the housing whilst open, getting the inside guts and their dimensions I may be able to replicate the housing in a different material. However, something tells me the plastic they chose is less heat conductive when compared to its metal counterpart.

The new unit that I got has more plastic fill in the voids that were open causing the fracture and cracking in the previous unit I had sent back.
  • Saeed
    Once again, I have had zero major issues on my Mighty.
  • VapeCritic
    my Mighty turns 2 years old in a month and my warranty expires and when it does i wanna take my mine apart to inspect it and i'll do this
  • Aris Naziris
    ok Saeed, totally get it and I also have a Volcano with absolutely no problem for some years now but this just doesn't change the fact that Crafty is having major issues with great impact to most customers if not all......and pls ....if I could be smoking on an ipad I would stick with the volcano......needed sth discreet and from a company like that yes I would expect something of best quality!
  • Saeed
    I wonder if thunderbolt outputs enough power to supplies as a battery for these devices.

Us three including Aj should put your heads together and manufacture a vape that slaves off an iphone.
  • Aly
    Well, 8 months and 250 working hours in, my Crafty crapped out. Truth be told, I really put that thing through its paces and I expected it to fail a lot quicker. I couldn't be happier with the turnaround time on the warranty service. It was less than 2 weeks from the time I reported the device failure to having a brand new device in hand.

Expecting it to take much longer to get a replacement, I bought a Pax2 to use in the interim. While I like it and it'll make a fine secondary vape, it can't really compare to the Crafty. Even with a higher failure rate and an inferior warranty (2 years vs. 10 years), for my money, there's no better portable on the market than the Crafty. I'm still a member of Camp Crafty, even after having the device fail. I think that says a lot about the vape quality produced by this little dynamo.
  • Baron23
    Thanks for reporting back, Aly. Yeah, 250 hours = many discharge/recharge cycles = dead Li Ion battery. Did they say it was the battery or something else?

In any case, thanks for the report on S&B RMA service and your experience with the Crafty.
  • Aly
    @Baron23 - they didn't provide any specifics on the nature of the problem. They just sent a replacement device, complete with all the original accessories, new in-box. You're right about the number of discharge/recharge cycles, not to mention the time used in pass-through mode while plugged into A/C power. Like I said, I purposefully pushed it far beyond what I normally would knowing that there's a 2-year warranty and a documented high failure rate. If premature death appears to be inevitable, as seems to be the case with the Crafty, I want to make sure I kill it within the warranty period. ;)
  • Green
    Previous to buying my Mighty I watched pretty much every video on the unit and it is apparent that they have changed parts of the unit on mine. For example the units auto shut off no longer interferes at all, in fact I think my unit has only shut off automatically once in the months that i've had the unit. Also the On/Off button seems to be slightly better at avoiding accidental presses.
  • Saeed
    Interesting post :) Thanks for sharing these photos. I had no idea they upgraded the case like this. I would like the new case too :) I replaced my unit about non months ago. do they base the one year warranty on the receipt date or new issue replacement date?
  • Flo
    I've had my Crafty for exactly two years and two weeks. I've probabely used it for about 5 hours in total, less than five charging cycles.
    So after like 6 months of no usage, I charged it last Weekend, and it started blinking red/yellow.
    My RMA-Request was denied. They didn't even offer paid repair service. They simply told me to buy a new unit. Yeah, sure!
    I know they don't have to cover it, but I am pretty pissed nonetheless!

Do you guys think a battery replacement would fix the problem?
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment