previous studies have found that vaporizers can reduce harmful toxins in cannabis smoke. However this is the first study to analyze the gas phase of the vapor for a wide range of toxins. A previous NORML/MAPS study conducted by Chemic Labs found that a vaporizer known as the M-1 Volatizer® completely eliminated three specific toxins (naphthalene, benzene and toluene) in. the solid phase of the vapor (D. Gieringer, "Cannabis Vaporization: A Promising Strategy for Smoke Harm Reduction," Journal of Cannabis Therapeutics Vol. 1#3-4: 153-70 (2001)).
The new study used a gas chromatograph mass spectrometer (GCMS) to examine the gas components of the vapor. The analysis showed that the Volcano® vapor was remarkably clean, consisting 95% of THC with traces of cannabinol (CBN), another cannabinoid. The remaining 5% consisted of small amounts of three other components: one suspected cannabinoid relative, one suspected PAH, and caryophyllene, a fragrant oil in cannabis and other plants. In contrast over 111 different components appeared in the gas of the combusted smoke, including a half dozen known PAHs. Non-cannabinoids accounted for as much as 88% of the total gas content of the smoke.
In a recent study, traces of THC were vaporized at temperatures as low as 140°C (284°F)
and the majority of THC vaporized by 185°C (365°F); benzene and other carcinogenic vapors did not appear until 200°C (392°F), and cannabis combustion occurred around 230°C (446°F) (Gieringer 2001).
A layman summary article on the scientific study cited above by Mom. The impression I get is that these measurments were taken from material dabbed at very high temps...or very high for me. While I run my Liger coil at 585-590 F, the actual dab surface temp is more like 540F. In this study, I believe that they ran at 550C = 1022F. Real hot. I believe that their lowest temp was 430C = 806F.....still real hot, IMO.
http://www.oregonlive.com/marijuana/index.ssf/2017/09/butane_hash_oil_releases_carci.html — Baron23
This is something I've wanted to see for a very long time! I'll be back here when I get the chance to have a good look at this study and all relevant limitations and strengths. You're right bro, the temps used seem to be very, very hot! I pity whoever is dabbing at 1022f!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Ouch!
A few key considerations so far:
* This study doesn't outline the method used for heating the nail during the experimental procedure. It is a hive ceramic 10mm domeless element nail, which is sold for 'torch use only'. This suggests torch use. I do not see any cause to dispute the method used to measure the temp of the nail however (thermographic camera).
* As above, the temps used here were almost all much higher than most or any of us would ever dab. Figure one, which identifies levels of methacrolein found at various dabbing temps refers to experimental conditions with median temperatures ranging from 322-526 centigrade (611f - 1022f).
In the 322c median temp condition, there was no observed release of this irritant compound. This is noteworthy, since I certainly would not be dabbing at any of the temps beyond that! The next median temp measured on the dish is 403c (757f). In this case, methacrolein was detected but the level was within the margins for error set by the authors for this study. At all successive increased temps, the levels of methacrolein found in subsequent NMR testing were beyond that which could be accounted for by the margin of error alone, and these dabbing temps as such can be suggested to be problematic. I do not recommend high temp dabs at all, but especially given these findings, we should avoid them!
There are a number of other limitations that I suspect here, but will need to read more thoroughly. Please note that my comments above may have missed some relevant details in the study, I've only given it one full read through :peace: — Herbivore21