• shenzen23
    Hi - I'm having a clogging issue with my Firefly 2 I'd really appreciate help with. I've seen this discussed on a couple of other threads, but no solution suggested by others has worked yet so far.

Basically, I got a great deal on a FF2 on Craigslist from a guy who was having an issue he didn't know how to fix. Turns out the issue is just a clog in the oven holes. I'd say about 70% of them are clogged. The device is otherwise working fine, but the clog is creating big time air flow issues, so I'm not getting much (if any) vapor at all. I saw one poster were able to fix his/her similar issue by just wiping the oven really well with ISO. I did that last night, along with scrubbing with a specialty toothbrush, picking the holes with a tiny and very sharp sewing needle, and I also sprayed it with compressed air. Nothing seems to be working. I've emailed Firefly to ask if they have any further suggestions, but figured I'd also post here to see if any of you had any other advice for something that might work. I'm afraid I may have to disassemble the device to give the oven a good ISO soak (which I'm pretty confident would do the trick), but obviously want to avoid doing that since I THINK the warranty is transferable.

Thanks for any help you can provide!
  • shenzen23
    I should also stipulate that the device itself seems to be operating fine, and that I'm essentially 100% sure the issue is a clog in the bowl/oven. I can only see about 30% of the tiny holes in the oven when I hit the buttons and fire it up.
  • Cl4ud3
    Heat the unit up, turn it upside down when cleaning with ISO, blow/compressed air through the air intake when the unit is hot.
  • Dinsdale
    ...Or just like me, accept the fact that you have a defective unit and get them to repair it.
    It might take you three rounds of back-and-forth emailing with stupid advice on clearing the mouthpiece and ensuring you have a proper seal before they issue you an RMA, though.
  • Hitz
    I'd do what @Cl4ud3 recommended, when airflow seems to be restricted that always resolved the issue for me.

If for some reason that does not resolve your issue try giving them a call over email, from what I've read it seems it's a little easier/faster results.

Keep us posted
  • shenzen23
    thanks! will try tonight.
  • shenzen23
    hoping that's not where I end up, but we'll see. Thanks!
  • Robbie
    I would reccomend against compressed air as a lot of those cans have extra "detergents" and other shit you (me) don't wanna breathe in. I've had my firefly since pre order and literally the only thing that ACTUALLY works effectively is going to a fabric store for their smallest sewing needle and finding a dark closet to stand in so you can see which holes to clear w the needle. Good luck!
  • Biz
    Other than OP who has inherited the clogging, did people that experience these issues keep their ovens clean or not? I brush it out every few bowls and other than some stickiness on the window and down the vapour path, it stays pretty clean that way. Nothing a couple iso wipes wouldn't solve so far.

I don't intend to let it get too nasty, just wondering if these issues are still inevitable?
  • Cl4ud3
    Some used too much oil and clogged the screen that way. If you keep up on the cleaning its an issue you might not get.
  • Flipz
    I think the @VapeCritic either has a post or video about how to clean a clogged screen. Unfortunately I don't have the link to it at the moment.
  • shenzen23
    yeah, I have watched it. recommends using compressed air/ISO. didn't work for me last night.
  • Hitz
    I think the clogging manly comes from using too fine a grind (at least that's what I noticed on mine). Medium grind vapes nice and literally just dumps out when done, a quick wipe and consider the vape cleaned.
  • Robbie
    I only use my ff2 for oils nowadays. It gets clogged even with routine cleaning and I'm pretty mindful of not overloading it. The needle makes it super easy. I've found that even holes that "show" the light coming through standing in a dark closet sometimes aren't fully clear. So I just go through every couple weeks and clear all of them w the needle.
  • Cl4ud3
    Something they will need to look at if they ever do the FF3
  • Robbie

Word up. I agree. Potentially a non stick bottom plate?
  • shenzen23
    Thanks for the all the recommendations. Made some slight progress with cleaning last night, but it's still over half clogged. Firefly has said they'll replace the plate for $30, so I am going to go that route. I do need to find a needle that'll fit in those holes, though. Smallest one I've found so far just barely pokes into the holes. , does your needle go all the way into the oven holes, or just a tiny bit?
  • Robbie

Yeah the box of needles I found are so so tiny it's actually hard to physically hold them. I would say they do go in just a bit because I can often feel the hardened oil sort of "click" free of the air holes.
  • Robbie
    Definitely not all the way though. Just the tip lol
  • Bruce
    I was told that using a needle to clean out the tiny holes helps. Sliding the needle along the bottom of the herb vape screen.
  • arthurbrown
    Hi there, regular cleaning of oven can keep it clean and away from clogging. I have heard about the many professionals who provides oven cleaning service. Recently, when my aunt was shifted to her new house with the help of professional movers in Brooklyn ny who provided her moving and cleaning oven services. According to her their way of working was quality driven.
  • Gabes
    Has anyone ever thought of cleaning the oven holes with a toothbrush? Works wonder for me, especially using those ultra thin nylon bristles toothbrushes.
  • VapeFully
    Good idea, gotta try it! Thanks mate!
  • Robo7676
    Damn your soul to hell!!! I was retiring my FF2 and ready to buy the herbalizer..My FF2 which I at first loved, was now becoming increasingly difficult to use, hence the FF2 retirement and the new herbalizer purchase. Imagine how excited I was being the vape junkie I am. And then I ran across your recommendations for cleaning my FF2 bowl. Robbie your a genius, I haven't had a bad rip let alone a bad session... I'm convinced There is no vape that hits harder and delivers better vapor than my firefly2 right now. So that means no herbalizer!!!' But all kidding aside you've done me a great serviceThe FF2 absolutely rocks now
  • lolo308
    I'm replying to any folks who may have encountered the same "challenges" as me keeping the firefly 2 operational. I tried: air bubble, air can, ISO rubbing, scrubbing, nothing but a really tiny needle can poke clean the small holes at the bottom of the firefly (these WILL eventually clog up.) How small? these are the ones I used. https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00114Q76U/
  • Kakarot
    Put the FF2 on a solid surface ( concrete works ) then take a hammer preferably sledge and beat the shit out of it until nothing is left.... and boof screen unclogged.
  • Robo7676
    Couldn't disagree more kakarot, but still LMAO
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube