• mmx
    I think the main problem why Ripper gets clogged is in position of the teeth (maybe design of the teeth as well). When you grind, the herb get pushed and pressured to the outer rim.

v7tnuneezhfhfytl.jpg
    cd6rhwsnkampt6ol.jpg

The bottom lid should have like sharp edges pointing on the inside, so the bud doesnt stick in the middle, but rather on the left or the right side. As it is now, there is too little space between the outer teeth on the top lid and outer rim of bottom lid. So when bud sticks to either side of the lid, its a jam. I pictured Thorinder, which has exactly that. It never gets jammed.

o31m96lgilynpe6l.jpg

diufewvf0jv12244.jpg

I also like the detail on the top lid. When you close the grinder it helps preventing the bud stick to the top and when you turn, it rips even from the top side.

yei2q6tx86jbeihn.jpg

Im not a native speaker, so I hope its understandable. If not, I will try again with more detailed pictures haha
  • Gonzo
    I think it also is affected by how much moisture is in the buds when you grind them.
  • Kinick23
    @HerbRipper hey bro - been using both herb ripper and BGC for a bit now, also owned (sold) a Lift grinder and have a space case.

Design change idea
    - get rid of the threading, I get it’s a quarter turn but think threads are legacy tech and they always open when I grind counter clockwise. You should take your queue from either BGC that’s fully magnetic or the LIft that has a simple locking tech.
    - weight of the SS is so solid, I love it and know a lot of others due too but it does make portability a challenge esp outside the house and for that reason think some custies will go elsewhere to fit their use case. For example whenever I have to go out or mobile around house I always opt for the BCG cause of weight. Would look to see if there’s something that can be done to reduce the Overall weight while keeping it SS
    - make teeth longer and recess the plate further to fit more herb.
    - to help with the sticking I like the idea of seeing how you can re-position the teeth and add sharper cuts to the edges like @mmx suggested to help push the herb toward the center. Also should look at how to re-design center post so the herb goes outward more and doesn’t stick in the middle.

Hope some of this helps and look forward to seeing any changes that come out of this thread
  • 420edc
    2.25" on this one @HerbRipper?
  • Biesas

My main issue with the Ripper is also how quickly it gets gunked up, though probably the SLX has spoiled, because I've cleaned it once in two years :yikes:

The Herb Ripper unfortunately needs a monthly clean, basically I don't even run an ounce through it before it needs cleaning.

Another thing I love and hate at the same time is the threads, being left handed I resorted to pulling out the screen and using it as a taller 3 piece, otherwise if I try to have it as an original 3 piece set up, I keep on unscrewing the bottom part.

Otherwise I just love this thing, but a few of these nitpicks are making me consider the BCG, though for that I'm only willing to get one grinding plate as I've got 4 different plates for the Ripper :grin:

Kevin, I wish you all the best! Even though I'm considering picking up BCG, I'm not willing to let go of the Ripper :wink:
  • HerbRipper
    This is awesome guys. If you have any suggestions, keep em coming I’m writing everything down, figuring out what is economical, and trying to implement new ideas. I got some great sketches already!
  • mmx
    My main issue with the Ripper is also how quickly it gets gunked upBiesas

Yeah. Mine gets gunked up at that places I marked, which prevents top lid from spinning smoothly and starts to choke.
  • elykpeace
    every grinder I've owned has done this

Except the brilliant cut grinder from @Grinders For Life I've had it over a year and still hasn't jammed up at all. Not ss but really a wonderful grinder.
  • fatbiker
    I've had my HR XL for about three weeks now. It has not once jammed up on me or clogged. I have ground some stick and moist material through it too. So far, I've been more than satisfied.
  • EconMan

Thanks for taking the time to do this. I found it so interesting. I enjoyed the way you explained your theory -- your english is better than mine :100:
    Theoretically, I'm not sure it is possible to make a grinder that doesn't get "sticky" from sticky weed, but your analysis on "clogging" is persuasive and thought provoking. "Grinder Science. :nerd:

I've had my HR XL for about three weeks now. It has not once jammed up on me or clogged. I have ground some stick and moist material through it too. So far, I've been more than satisfied.fatbiker

I have not had any problems with my two HR's but my bud is not often ultra humid. I also "wash" my HR's often. About 1-3 times a month, depending on use ( can tell when it needs it), I'll soak in iso for a night, and then I toss it all in the dishwasher in the morning. Comes out like brand new. :cool:

But yeah, sticky weed is always problematic but mine doesn't ever actually "clog" (perhaps because all I really use is the COARSE plate - larger "holes"?).
    So, any updates?
  • EconMan
    tagging @HerbRipper

Certainly, still enjoying mine.
  • HerbRipper
    It’s in testing mode!
  • mmx
    yeah me too.

I saw a prototipe on ig. It looks very interesting and my gut tells me it could work really well.

Good work Kevin! :fire:
  • Vapster707
    can you share any pics of tha new prototype ???
  • fatbiker
    Check out his Instagram page. The pics are there.
  • Baron23
    Wow, now that's an innovative departure from normal designs.

Looks very cool.....have you used it with bud yet?
  • Vapster707
    wow very different looking ... No threads is nice personally tha threads on grinders annoy me herb ALWAY finds its way to tha threads ... Do you plan on making a matte finish available on tha redesign ??? Any other improvements ???
  • HerbRipper
    This one will still have threads but they are square threads meaning they will NEVER get to gummed up to work. We plan on having a matte/metal finish and powder coated finish with colors. The powder coat will only be the outside the grinding area, the grinding area will be bare stainless.

We have other things we are working on and the gunking up in the grinding area is our main focus.
  • henrylefleur
    That would be great. I love the grinder except for the fact that it jams up every load or 2. Plus it seems a little finer grind than I expected. The heft in the hand and the finish are amazing though.
    Thinking outside the grinder lines :up:
  • Vapster707
    I really like that idea of powder coating only on tha outside ... You said this one will have threads ... So does that mean you're looking into no threads ??? Also is tha chamber for holding herb bigger and or taller walls to hold me ???
  • HerbRipper
    I did forget that we made the chamber deeper! We are staying with the threads. They are just so practical and easy. They are quick turn threads and multi-lead so they don’t cross thread. We mimic “firehose” threads when I designed them. They won’t fail.

Also thinking about making it have an o-ring on the back of the threads to give it a good seal and prevent it from coming un-done when grinding.
  • Vapster707
    so are any of tha testers of tha new design gave any feed back ??? Its very unique and different so I really wonder how it is ... How can one get on tha testing list ???
  • Pakalolo2
    I would love to test out this new design my man!
  • HerbRipper
    Welp so far it a bust but some very good ideas going forward. I will be working on new designs to mock up! Stay tuned.
  • EconMan

Failure is the fuel of success. :nerd:
  • HerbRipper
    Well another prototype made up and sent out to our group of testers. I am loving this one for sure!

If anyone is interested, we have Dynavap Ms for sale on our site. On Friday only starting at 12am est, if you buy a Dynavap M from us, you receive a free 2”-3 pc stainless grinder. Fo Free!!!

This is limited to the first 20 customers.

Have a great day!
  • Vapster707
    anything good to report back about tha new design ??? Any pics ???
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment